Looking to start reloading (Read 1163 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Looking to start reloading
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 12:35:53 PM »
What is 9mm remington?

Wasn't the founder of Remington named Luger?

:rofl:
Surely Not Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting.

Isaac

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 01:59:26 PM »
My bad, I meant luger  :worship: it's been a long day for me.

OldMose

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2021, 02:02:29 PM »
No worries.  When the boy comes over to pick up his ammo, will be teaching him some magic techniques.

drck1000

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2021, 02:04:10 PM »
I will be reloading 7mm08 Remington,  9mm Remington, 223 Remington, maybe some .38, .308, 45acp when I get comfortable.
Nice!

I went the backasswards way of getting into reloading, which is shouldered rifle cartridges first.  Seems like you will be doing a mix.  I will eventually get into reloading for 9 mm, .357 Mag, .44 Mag, etc, but my needs (or interests) is .308 Win first. 

For .223 Rem, will you be reloading 5.56 brass?  Like from 193 or 855.  Just wondering as those will likely have crimped primers.  If yes, recommend you spend some time reading up or watching videos on brass prep for crimped primers.

stangzilla

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2021, 03:03:05 PM »
Nice!

I went the backasswards way of getting into reloading, which is shouldered rifle cartridges first.  Seems like you will be doing a mix.  I will eventually get into reloading for 9 mm, .357 Mag, .44 Mag, etc, but my needs (or interests) is .308 Win first. 

For .223 Rem, will you be reloading 5.56 brass?  Like from 193 or 855.  Just wondering as those will likely have crimped primers.  If yes, recommend you spend some time reading up or watching videos on brass prep for crimped primers.

i like to stick with 223 brass.  less work.   :D

i started with revolver reloads.  44 and 357 bc i shoot those the most and 44 is more expensive handgun cartridge from what i shoot, so i wanted to save money by reloading and get some consistent accuracy
i have a single stage Lee press, so i cant reload that quickly, but all loads are consistent

ren

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2021, 03:15:09 PM »

oldfart

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2021, 08:16:13 AM »
You'll be needing dial or digital calipers to adjust stuff.
It's very important.
What, Me Worry?

stangzilla

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2021, 01:58:52 PM »
how you going to clean the brass? tumbler, ultrasonic?

drck1000

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2021, 02:46:09 PM »
You'll be needing dial or digital calipers to adjust stuff.
It's very important.
That's a good tip.

I've tested a range of cost/quality calipers.  From the $20 digital, to mid range (iGaging), to Mitutoyo dial and digital.  I would saw now I am comfortable with the $20 digital, but there are differences between the ranges. 

Rhed

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2021, 08:51:40 PM »
That's good advice, and generally how I went about getting reloading components and equipment.  However, it did help a lot where my buddy already had the basic equipment needed.  I am slowly supplementing his setup with equipment. 

Depending on caliber, I've noticed that the shortages have started impacting boolits and brass, particularly for the common calibers. When I started buying/ordering stuff in later 2020, I primers and powder were already either low or out, but boolits and brass were med to low stock, but I was able to find what I wanted in stock lots of places.  Then early Jan, boolits and brass for .308 were out everywhere.  Could find some boolits, but many times was 25-50% more and usually limits on how much you could order.  I seems like brass and bullets, at least for .308 is coming back in regular intervals. 

Now I'm noticing dies, presses, and other reloading equipment either out of stock or long lead.  I hoping that is because lots of folks getting into reloading.

Primers are #1 shortage for us reloaders. Next is powders, well there is powders show up here and there. Just can’t be choosy with personal preference of what powder we want no more. Just gotta grab what’s available and do load development. Or refer back to saved data logs.

drck1000

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2021, 10:53:55 AM »
Primers are #1 shortage for us reloaders. Next is powders, well there is powders show up here and there. Just can’t be choosy with personal preference of what powder we want no more. Just gotta grab what’s available and do load development. Or refer back to saved data logs.
Yup on primers.  I was lucky to pick up 5k of LRP at the start of this madness.  So I think I'm ok for a "good" amount of time.  I have some other LRP as well that I may do some testing with, but I'm thinking of sticking with one primer (CCi No. 200) for now and just vary powders.  Limit variables, at least for now.  I also have buddies that are starting up load testing on 308 as well, so will see how their developments progress as well. 

I was also able to pick up an ok amount of powder, including two of the powders I was interested in.  So I have some time to see if other powders become available. 

I commented previously that I noticed out of stock notices for brass and boolits.  I've been seeing stocks returning, particularly for Lapua brass and Berger boolits. 

macsak

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2021, 11:34:09 AM »
Yup on primers.  I was lucky to pick up 5k of LRP at the start of this madness.  So I think I'm ok for a "good" amount of time.  I have some other LRP as well that I may do some testing with, but I'm thinking of sticking with one primer (CCi No. 200) for now and just vary powders.  Limit variables, at least for now.  I also have buddies that are starting up load testing on 308 as well, so will see how their developments progress as well. 

I was also able to pick up an ok amount of powder, including two of the powders I was interested in.  So I have some time to see if other powders become available. 

I commented previously that I noticed out of stock notices for brass and boolits.  I've been seeing stocks returning, particularly for Lapua brass and Berger boolits.

heads

Rhed

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2021, 08:36:45 PM »

Yes.. but for Lapua brass, don’t go brownells or mid. They up the price by 20$. Powder valley just got lapua 223 in stock for the usual price of 59.95. And 308, though out of stock for 79.95. Of course with some searching for coupon codes will save some.

drck1000

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2021, 08:51:24 PM »
Yes.. but for Lapua brass, don’t go brownells or mid. They up the price by 20$. Powder valley just got lapua 223 in stock for the usual price of 59.95. And 308, though out of stock for 79.95. Of course with some searching for coupon codes will save some.
I missed when Powder Valley had some in stock about a month ago. Saw it in stock late one evening, but was sold out by next morning. Luckily I was able to find in stock a coupe of places for about the same price. Yeah, pricing on Lapua brass and Berger boolits are inflated on Midway and Brownells. Even pricing of Sierra boolits are inflated at times.

Rhed

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2021, 09:59:06 PM »
I missed when Powder Valley had some in stock about a month ago. Saw it in stock late one evening, but was sold out by next morning. Luckily I was able to find in stock a coupe of places for about the same price. Yeah, pricing on Lapua brass and Berger boolits are inflated on Midway and Brownells. Even pricing of Sierra boolits are inflated at times.

It’ll probably be the new normal price from here on out. Even if when things start to go normal for stocks of ammo and reloading components IMO. It’s just in high demand now since there’s millions of new gun owners. So more pressure on manufacturers. I’ve stocked up quite a bit of everything for the past 2 years before election. But I never know was gonna get this bad. Especially with the pandemic, civil unrest, and demoass trying to take our guns.

drck1000

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2021, 10:39:54 PM »
It’ll probably be the new normal price from here on out. Even if when things start to go normal for stocks of ammo and reloading components IMO. It’s just in high demand now since there’s millions of new gun owners. So more pressure on manufacturers. I’ve stocked up quite a bit of everything for the past 2 years before election. But I never know was gonna get this bad. Especially with the pandemic, civil unrest, and demoass trying to take our guns.
Sadly, I see paying a premium on things for a while.  I mean it sucks, but firearms are something that I've resigned long ago as one of my expensive hobbies.  I am pretty "decently" stocked up on many things, but unfortunately reloading wasn't one of them.  Overall, I think I'm doing ok on stuff even for reloading. 

Like many things in life, timing is everything.  Just before recent stuff (pandemic, civil unrest, etc like you mentioned), I had gotten back into shooting a lot, so had stocked up on ammo.  But I was also shooting a lot during that time. 

Ah, probably a good thing that things are tighter now.  Otherwise maybe I'd already have expanded to a different caliber, or two.   ;D

stangzilla

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2021, 09:06:35 AM »
Accurate powders reloading data:

https://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

oldfart

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2021, 09:59:44 AM »
I constantly refer to hogdon reloading data because it also covers Winchester powders.
In most cases, their data correlates well with my personal measurements.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
What, Me Worry?