Useless legislation kupuna (Read 4683 times)

oldfart

Useless legislation kupuna
« on: March 21, 2021, 04:16:28 AM »
So the state wants to make it a harsher crime to screw with older folks.
It's already a crime to screw with older folks, or any folks for that matter.
We all know the problem is not the laws, per se,  but enforcement and punishment.
If the "system" worked, that little baby Kytana would still be alive today. (that story still bugs me)

"soft judges make hard criminals"

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/03/20/rash-crime-against-kupuna-could-spur-tougher-laws-protect-them/

--end of rant--
What, Me Worry?

oldfart

Re: Useless legislation kupuna
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 04:30:46 AM »
One more comment...

It's not like these criminals give out a survey form asking if the prospective victim is older than 60 years old.
What, Me Worry?

RSN172

Re: Useless legislation kupuna
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 05:57:03 AM »
I agree. A more useful law would be to allow kupuna to carry a firearm to defend themselves.
Happily living in Puna

aletheuo137

Re: Useless legislation kupuna
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 07:15:41 AM »
I agree. A more useful law would be to allow kupuna to carry a firearm to defend themselves.
I got this from another site, thought it was pretty good:

My old Grandpa said to me, 'Son, there comes a time in every man's life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take a whoopin'. But here's a better explanation:

I don't carry a gun to kill people; I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil; I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government; I carry a gun because I understand the need to remain vigilant against tyranny by the government

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry; I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my days hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone; I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man; I carry a gun because real men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate; I carry a gun because when unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it; I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police protection is an oxymoron: Free citizens must protect themselves because police do not protect you from crime; they just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone else in to clean up the mess.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Useless legislation kupuna
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 07:22:00 AM »
I carry when I travel to "free states" because I'm too old to take an ass kicking, and I'm too young to die!"   :geekdanc: :thumbsup:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

QUIETShooter

Re: Useless legislation kupuna
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 07:57:11 AM »
Fix our laws and punish criminals for the crime they committed.  Fix society in general.  The criminals that are targeting older people are criminals that fell through the cracks of our fucked up justice system.

Like the OP mentioned, fix the justice system and crime will go down.  There will be less of these bold and dangerous criminals out on the streets.

Damn, for once our asshole government leaders should work proactively instead of reactively.

Just a bunch of dickhead politician(s) that decided to make noise after seeing on the news that kupuna, particularly Asians (this time around, this problem is not new....next time it will be blacks, or hispanics, or what-ever) were being attacked. 

Bullshit posturing and wringing of hands.....

A concealed carry society is a society with no criminals, only the criminally insane. 

Because only the criminally insane are stupid enough to not realize they will be dead the moment they act up.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Useless legislation kupuna
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 08:00:57 AM »
Fix our laws and punish criminals for the crime they committed.  Fix society in general.  The criminals that are targeting older people are criminals that fell through the cracks of our fucked up justice system.

Like the OP mentioned, fix the justice system and crime will go down.  There will be less of these bold and dangerous criminals out on the streets.

Damn, for once our asshole government leaders should work proactively instead of reactively.

Just a bunch of dickhead politician(s) that decided to make noise after seeing on the news that kupuna, particularly Asians (this time around, this problem is not new....next time it will be blacks, or hispanics, or what-ever) were being attacked. 

Bullshit posturing and wringing of hands.....

A concealed carry society is a society with no criminals, only the criminally insane. 

Because only the criminally insane are stupid enough to not realize they will be dead the moment they act up.

Agreed.

Most of the laws in Hawaii seem to be (1) written poorly (unenforceable), and (2) intentionally unenforced.

Fixing bad laws is a good start, but I don't see that happening when they can keep making up new crap under the pretense of "doing something".
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

ren

Re: Useless legislation kupuna
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 09:51:16 AM »
I think HPD needs to help kupuna be better witnesses (victims). They should offer classes on how to take notes of the suspect's features etc.
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

Re: Useless legislation kupuna
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 10:23:05 AM »
I think HPD needs to help kupuna be better witnesses (victims). They should offer classes on how to take notes of the suspect's features etc.
....
I'm a kupuna.
I can't remember who I talked to yesterday and my handwriting sucks so bad I can't read my own shopping list.
 :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

dogman

Re: Useless legislation kupuna
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 11:14:39 AM »
So the state wants to make it a harsher crime to screw with older folks.
It's already a crime to screw with older folks, or any folks for that matter.
I recently saw a local news report about a guy that was arrested six times in less than two weeks for the same criminal offense. The crimes were misdemeanors, and because of recent policy changes related to covid and prison over crowding, he was released each time, the same day as the crimes committed. So because of this, turning a misdemeanor into a felony makes sense to law makers. They agree that there is no "incentive" ( I believe that was the word they used in the report) to stop breaking the law. I don't think it will fix the problem, but it does makes sense.

RSN172

Re: Useless legislation kupuna
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 11:56:42 AM »
Getting shot will stop someone from committing a crime, either temporarily or permanently, depending where they got shot.
Happily living in Puna

groveler

Re: Useless legislation kupuna
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2021, 01:23:38 PM »
I agree. A more useful law would be to allow kupuna to carry a firearm to defend themselves.
Who says us old farts obey the kids laws?
I'm not going to the hospital because some kid
thinks he can take advantage of me.
I have a lawyer on speed dial and can make bail.
"Never pick a fight with an old man, he will just kill
you and leave you in a ditch"

groveler

Re: Useless legislation kupuna
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 01:27:54 PM »
Getting shot will stop someone from committing a crime, either temporarily or permanently, depending where they got shot.
It is called "Three tap" two in the chest, and one in the forehead.

RSN172

Re: Useless legislation kupuna
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2021, 02:46:41 PM »
Who says us old farts obey the kids laws?
I'm not going to the hospital because some kid
thinks he can take advantage of me.
I have a lawyer on speed dial and can make bail.
"Never pick a fight with an old man, he will just kill
you and leave you in a ditch"

Yeah, the older we get, the less of a deterrent life in prison becomes.
Happily living in Puna

robtmc

Re: Useless legislation kupuna
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2021, 05:47:52 PM »
Yeah, the older we get, the less of a deterrent life in prison becomes.
Yabbut, I got a wife when i mention your thought, pisses and moans about not having me around to fix stuff and whatever else she thinks I am good for.