average price of .45ACP and 9mm (Read 5480 times)

ren

average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« on: March 26, 2021, 10:48:24 PM »
Been seeing prices for 45 at over $1.25 per round with 9mm at around $1 per round and falling. Before 2020 I remember 45ACP costing more than 9mm.
Deeds Not Words

macsak

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 10:53:28 PM »
Been seeing prices for 45 at over $1.25 per round with 9mm at around $1 per round and falling. Before 2020 I remember 45ACP costing more than 9mm.

rule of thumb pre-covid was:
good sale price-
1000 9mm $250
1000 .40 cal $350
1000 .45 acp $450

rule of thumb post-covid is:
9mm is one trillion dollars...

Inspector

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 02:12:58 AM »
Classic Firearms had cases of TulAmmo steel cased 9mm for $499.99. And they did not sell out right away. As a matter of fact they were still advertising them as available for 2 weeks. Probably gone by now but during this time when 9mm is at outrageous prices and they advertised at 50 cents a round, I am surprised it lasted 2 weeks. Is it a sign that prices will be coming down soon? We’ll see.

SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Flapp_Jackson

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 02:21:50 AM »
Classic Firearms had cases of TulAmmo steel cased 9mm for $499.99. And they did not sell out right away. As a matter of fact they were still advertising them as available for 2 weeks. Probably gone by now but during this time when 9mm is at outrageous prices and they advertised at 50 cents a round, I am surprised it lasted 2 weeks. Is it a sign that prices will be coming down soon? We’ll see.

I predict when the prices level off and then start to fall slightly, the gougers and hoarders will dump what they have to avoid losing their shirts.  That increase in supply will just cause an even faster drop in prices.

A lot of the supply will be dictated by the crazy gun laws this administration and Congress decide to push through.  Stupid stuff like taxes on ammo, bans on sporting rifles, and of course all the fear being created over White Supremacist terror and the BLM/ANTIFA/CHAZ BS.  People are arming themselves in part over the Pandemic, too.  If this crap keeps up, that trend will continue I think.

So many variables creating a buying frenzy this past year.  And Joe's agendas are not putting anyone's minds at ease.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Inspector

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 02:38:49 AM »
I predict when the prices level off and then start to fall slightly, the gougers and hoarders will dump what they have to avoid losing their shirts.  That increase in supply will just cause an even faster drop in prices.

A lot of the supply will be dictated by the crazy gun laws this administration and Congress decide to push through.  Stupid stuff like taxes on ammo, bans on sporting rifles, and of course all the fear being created over White Supremacist terror and the BLM/ANTIFA/CHAZ BS.  People are arming themselves in part over the Pandemic, too.  If this crap keeps up, that trend will continue I think.

So many variables creating a buying frenzy this past year.  And Joe's agendas are not putting anyone's minds at ease.
I am sure most everyone knows I am a 22 fanboy. But one thing I am missing from my collection is a plain ordinary modern 22 semi auto like the Ruger Mark IV series. I want one so when I am teaching a new shooter, I have something other than one of my all steel very heavy 50+ year old target pistols. Also, I want something I won’t fear dropping in the sand when I go out to the desert. So I studied all the different models and decided on the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite model. MSRP of $559.99. Call around Prescott then Phoenix and no one has one in stock. I went to the gun show last weekend and there were none to be had. So I go out to Gun Broker. I see auctions going well over MSRP. Some dealers have auctions starting at almost $800. I’m not paying over MSRP. Ridiculous prices still. It’s been long enough. I thought we would see things slowing down by now. But so far I don’t see too much of that happening.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Flapp_Jackson

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 02:45:44 AM »
I am sure most everyone knows I am a 22 fanboy. But one thing I am missing from my collection is a plain ordinary modern 22 semi auto like the Ruger Mark IV series. I want one so when I am teaching a new shooter, I have something other than one of my all steel very heavy 50+ year old target pistols. Also, I want something I won’t fear dropping in the sand when I go out to the desert. So I studied all the different models and decided on the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite model. MSRP of $559.99. Call around Prescott then Phoenix and no one has one in stock. I went to the gun show last weekend and there were none to be had. So I go out to Gun Broker. I see auctions going well over MSRP. Some dealers have auctions starting at almost $800. I’m not paying over MSRP. Ridiculous prices still. It’s been long enough. I thought we would see things slowing down by now. But so far I don’t see too much of that happening.

Good choice. I have the Mark III 22/45 Lite.  Added the compensator muzzle device, a Burris red dot, installed the mag safety override (lets me pull the trigger without having a slide inserted -- mainly for breaking it down more easily), and seems like one or two other upgrades.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Inspector

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 02:55:24 AM »
Good choice. I have the Mark III 22/45 Lite.  Added the compensator muzzle device, a Burris red dot, installed the mag safety override (lets me pull the trigger without having a slide inserted -- mainly for breaking it down more easily), and seems like one or two other upgrades.
I plan on putting in the Volquartzen trigger kit which lightens the trigger significantly, reduces take up and over travel, and removes the mag safety. I’ll put a compensator on it for now but I plan on finally getting a suppressor. And of course a decent red dot. Though I understand the stock irons are very good right out of the box. I’m also a big Ruger Fanboy of the Mark series. I have owned a Mark I, II and two Mark III’s at some time in my life and I wish I had never sold them.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

aaronc5362

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 05:21:06 AM »
Last month when sechawaii called me, i got 9, 357 mag and 223. And they had alot of 223. If each box had 1k rounds, i mustve seen atleast 50-60 boxes piled up. And i believe he said he had more in the back. So yes,  i think the price of ammo should go down except the fact in april when the factory (federal,cci,speer, remington and whatever else brand federal owns) increases their price from 3 -15 percent??

I forgot how much percent increase he said, but he made a youtube vid. The ceo or owner or manager of federal. Saw it couple months ago.

But now there was 2 more mass shootings.. so ehhhh who knows. These fakas keep fucking up the rest of us.

Why cant they just chop off the hands of criminals. Criminals meaning persons who do mass shootings/ illegally owning a gun/ brandishing a firearm in public without reason, along those lines. Then throw them in jail. Let them live without ever being able to carry anything with their hands again.  Then put their hands in a locked jar (fixated on a shelf a lil bit above their own height)  where you have to turn 2 keys simultaneously to unlock it. And the only meals they will ever get is smoothies. But instead of a blender, prison guards will chew the food for them and regurgitate it into a bowl with a straw. And just to be nice, Give them talon grips for toilet paper, ya know since 1 side is sticky, thatll help them alot to wipe their own ass

macsak

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 05:23:16 AM »
 :stopjack:

Inspector

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 05:26:28 AM »
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Glasser

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 06:56:44 AM »
I am sure most everyone knows I am a 22 fanboy. But one thing I am missing from my collection is a plain ordinary modern 22 semi auto like the Ruger Mark IV series. I want one so when I am teaching a new shooter, I have something other than one of my all steel very heavy 50+ year old target pistols. Also, I want something I won’t fear dropping in the sand when I go out to the desert. So I studied all the different models and decided on the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite model. MSRP of $559.99. Call around Prescott then Phoenix and no one has one in stock. I went to the gun show last weekend and there were none to be had. So I go out to Gun Broker. I see auctions going well over MSRP. Some dealers have auctions starting at almost $800. I’m not paying over MSRP. Ridiculous prices still. It’s been long enough. I thought we would see things slowing down by now. But so far I don’t see too much of that happening.

If you can live with the MK IV 22/45 basic target model they are showing up again after having gone extinct for a year. $400

https://gun.deals/product/ruger-mark-iv-2245-40107-28299

I bought a buncha parts for my MK3 from TandemKross and they made a massive difference, complete hot rod kit was less than $90 on sale. changing the extractor claw without a 3rd hand was the biggest challenge.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 07:07:02 AM by Glasser »

Inspector

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 07:43:45 AM »
If you can live with the MK IV 22/45 basic target model they are showing up again after having gone extinct for a year. $400

https://gun.deals/product/ruger-mark-iv-2245-40107-28299

I bought a buncha parts for my MK3 from TandemKross and they made a massive difference, complete hot rod kit was less than $90 on sale. changing the extractor claw without a 3rd hand was the biggest challenge.
Yes! Thank you! There were approx. a half dozen 22/45 target models at the gun show last week. There was a Mark III for $400 and a Mark IV for $425. I thought about it long and hard and decided to wait for the Lite model. It is truly going to be used as a desert plinker and a training/starter gun. And it will be used as my first test bed for a suppressor.

Thanks!  :shaka:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

RSN172

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2021, 08:24:51 AM »
And it will be used as my first test bed for a suppressor.

Suppressors are highly illegal in Hawaii!



Oh, forgot you no live hea anymo.
Happily living in Puna

Inspector

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2021, 08:49:31 AM »
Suppressors are highly illegal in Hawaii!



Oh, forgot you no live hea anymo.
When in Rome......  :thumbsup:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

jc2721

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2021, 09:42:56 AM »
An LGS has had fairly large shipments of ammo and smaller shipments of primers come in infrequently.  Even though you see 100's of cases of ammo on the floor almost all of it is on the call list and very little becomes available over the counter.  I believe the last time they had ammo come in, 9mm was about $379/1K and .223/5.56 was about $700/1K.   Very little .45 ACP came in.  Before the Covid lockdown 1 year ago cases of 9mm were $199 and .223 was $339 (?), something like that.

Every time I stop by there are new shooters (or infrequent, occasional shooters and sometimes hunters) who have no clue that there's a nationwide shortage of firearms and ammunition.  They end up on the call list because there's no ammo to be had at retail.  DEMAND far outstrips SUPPLY, it's as simple as that.

On a tangent, demand also far outstrips the supply of components and reloading equipment.  Everything's on backorder.   Locally, primers are on the call list.  It's not uncommon anymore to see someone buy large quantities of their preferred powder if it's on the shelf.  On the mainland, anecdotal evidence says that gun show prices for primers are at $1 each--$1000 for a brick of 1000 primers.  I follow GB (even though there are a lot of scammers, almost as bad as A**sl**t) and I did see a thousand large rifle match primers sell for $1800+ online.  Whether or not the buyer paid up (or there was a shill involved) is unknown to me but it illustrates the point--DEMAND far outstrips SUPPLY.

Is it going to end soon?  States "opening up" for business hopefully leads to increased manufacturing but the record number of gun sales this past year indicates that the demand for ammo will remain high.  If there's another "mass shooting incident" you can bet the farm that politicians will seize upon that to push forward their anti-gun agenda.

Hmmm...I just listed ammo for sale and now I'm thinking that I should keep it instead.  The government will GIVE you money, that's a fact.  As bad as it is now, if they tax ammo or restrict online sales you may not be able to buy stuff at ANY price.  Short term profit or long term viability?  Ammo will keep for decades, properly stored.  Money seems to evaporate quickly.  Something to think about.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2021, 10:27:47 AM »
Ammo Seek reports the lowest price 9mm is 47 cents a round:

https://www.ammoshoponline.com/shop/caliber/handgun/9mm-luger/in-stock-new-brass-9-mm-luger-rhta-94-gr-qty-50/

Yeah -- 94gr 9mm.  Seems a little on the light side, but I'm sure it makes holes in paper.

Glock recommends using 124gr ammo, so if you contact them about your 9mm Glock not cycling or ejecting properly, one of their first troubleshooting steps is to tell you to try 124gr.  Never had problems with 115gr that were also present with 124gr.

This would probably be more inline with what I'd get.  Only 54.9 cents per rd.

https://www.ammoshoponline.com/shop/caliber/handgun/9mm-luger/in-stock-new-ruag-brass-swiss-military-9mm-nato-124-gr-fmj-qty-50/
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Inspector

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2021, 11:01:50 AM »
Yeah -- 94gr 9mm.  Seems a little on the light side, but I'm sure it makes holes in paper.

Glock recommends using 124gr ammo, so if you contact them about your 9mm Glock not cycling or ejecting properly, one of their first troubleshooting steps is to tell you to try 124gr.  Never had problems with 115gr that were also present with 124gr.

This would probably be more inline with what I'd get.  Only 54.9 cents per rd.

https://www.ammoshoponline.com/shop/caliber/handgun/9mm-luger/in-stock-new-ruag-brass-swiss-military-9mm-nato-124-gr-fmj-qty-50/
Sierra makes a nice 90gr bullet that is very light shooting and works well in my Glock and Sig pistols. Never had a problem with them. Though being a reloader I found that these lighter bullets require a maximum charge of powder in order to work without issues in my Glock. With that said, I standardized a long time ago on 124gr bullets as they hit point of aim without having to compensate one way or another. And generally are more accurate in all of my 9mm firearms.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Flapp_Jackson

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2021, 11:04:48 AM »
Sierra makes a nice 90gr bullet that is very light shooting and works well in my Glock and Sig pistols. Never had a problem with them. Though being a reloader I found that these lighter bullets require a maximum charge of powder in order to work without issues in my Glock. With that said, I standardized a long time ago on 124gr bullets as they hit point of aim without having to compensate one way or another. And generally are more accurate in all of my 9mm firearms.

Yeah, I try to pick up 124gr if the price is close to 115gr, assuming it's available. 
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

stangzilla

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2021, 01:39:04 PM »
As long as people keep buying ammo at the inflated price, it will keep selling at the inflated price
When the shelves at the LGS gets full, price will come down
I heard that in may manufacturers will raise the price of ammo again, so I dont see it getting better anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong

Flapp_Jackson

Re: average price of .45ACP and 9mm
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2021, 03:34:09 PM »
As long as people keep buying ammo at the inflated price, it will keep selling at the inflated price
When the shelves at the LGS gets full, price will come down
I heard that in may manufacturers will raise the price of ammo again, so I dont see it getting better anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong

According to the law of price elasticity, there may be a change in demand when prices change. 

In other words, prices can only go so high until buyers are unable or unwilling to buy the product.  When that happens, the associated drop in demand may trigger a surplus.  That supply surplus along with demand decrease may cause the sellers to lower prices.

However, the prices of some products are inelastic -- people will buy regardless of price fluctuations, such as gasoline.  Ammo is an expendable product, too, like gasoline.  Is it considered inelastic?  Will it be bought by SOMEONE regardless of price?

We also have to consider the raw materials costs for the ammo makers.  If their cost rises, it'll get passed on to consumers.

Lots of variable to watch.  I see prices dropping this year, but maybe not back to pre-panic level for over a year -- maybe two.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw