Firearm Component Lead Times (Read 2810 times)

drck1000

Firearm Component Lead Times
« on: August 03, 2021, 07:27:14 AM »
Have been researching a custom bolt action build for a while and recently (about a month ago) started the order process.  I noticed lead times on stuff like custom action and chassis/stocks steadily creeping up, but was in the 2-3 month range.  Was just watching a couple of videos, including one from an F-Class shooter on what he recommends to get started.  On that video, he mentioned stuff like Defiance actions lead time in the 6-9 month, maybe more range.  Some barrel manufacturers in the 4-6 month or more range.  When I ordered my parts, the longest lead item was the chassis (side folder) with barrel not expected to be a big deal since the company I ordered through has a steady supply of barrels, at least the common caliber/contour/twists on order.  But yikes!  One guy that was helping me with my orders said that not that long ago, the longest lead was a chassis in a configuration that wasn't that common and that lead time was maybe 1 month.  Bad timing to back into bolt action rifles. . .  :(

macsak

Re: Firearm Component Lead Times
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 07:48:41 AM »
Have been researching a custom bolt action build for a while and recently (about a month ago) started the order process.  I noticed lead times on stuff like custom action and chassis/stocks steadily creeping up, but was in the 2-3 month range.  Was just watching a couple of videos, including one from an F-Class shooter on what he recommends to get started.  On that video, he mentioned stuff like Defiance actions lead time in the 6-9 month, maybe more range.  Some barrel manufacturers in the 4-6 month or more range.  When I ordered my parts, the longest lead item was the chassis (side folder) with barrel not expected to be a big deal since the company I ordered through has a steady supply of barrels, at least the common caliber/contour/twists on order.  But yikes!  One guy that was helping me with my orders said that not that long ago, the longest lead was a chassis in a configuration that wasn't that common and that lead time was maybe 1 month.  Bad timing to back into bolt action rifles. . .  :(

i own no firearms nor components of firearms...

changemyoil66

Re: Firearm Component Lead Times
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 09:23:43 AM »
Mrs. CMO ordered a KIDD 22 semi auto. We went thru a LGS and been waiting since August 2020.  What we were told is KIDD put their vendors on the side and sold direct website more due to them being able to make more from that, compared to vendor sales.  We aren't in a rush and wanted to support LGS so we waited.  Parts finally arrived.  Dropped of her Boyd stock last week and the LGS is assembling. No ETA because it is a custom fit so the stock needs to be sanded so the parts can fit.

Mrs. CMO even emailed KIDD and their reply was 2-4 months for vendors. But I'm going to assume that's priority vendors who place many orders. When you have a smaller LGS doing a few a month, I'm sure they place them on the back burner too. 

Was told not only KIDD was doing this, but other companies as well when the smaller LGS are ordering.

changemyoil66

Re: Firearm Component Lead Times
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 09:25:14 AM »
Heres the stock.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

aaronc5362

Re: Firearm Component Lead Times
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 09:35:07 AM »
Nice stock, i always loved wood or laminate "marbling" / rings or whatever they are called.  With that said i would never own 1 cause i dont wanna have simething extra to take care of lol. Always catches my eyes tho.

changemyoil66

Re: Firearm Component Lead Times
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 09:58:09 AM »
Nice stock, i always loved wood or laminate "marbling" / rings or whatever they are called.  With that said i would never own 1 cause i dont wanna have simething extra to take care of lol. Always catches my eyes tho.

Let the wife buy what ever she wants and then so can I.

drck1000

Re: Firearm Component Lead Times
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 10:15:26 AM »
Mrs. CMO ordered a KIDD 22 semi auto. We went thru a LGS and been waiting since August 2020.  What we were told is KIDD put their vendors on the side and sold direct website more due to them being able to make more from that, compared to vendor sales.  We aren't in a rush and wanted to support LGS so we waited.  Parts finally arrived.  Dropped of her Boyd stock last week and the LGS is assembling. No ETA because it is a custom fit so the stock needs to be sanded so the parts can fit.

Mrs. CMO even emailed KIDD and their reply was 2-4 months for vendors. But I'm going to assume that's priority vendors who place many orders. When you have a smaller LGS doing a few a month, I'm sure they place them on the back burner too. 

Was told not only KIDD was doing this, but other companies as well when the smaller LGS are ordering.
When you buy fancy kine colors. . .

My current chassis, I found in stock after searching around.  I think the lead time when I bought it last winter was around 2-4 months.  There are other chassis that are in stock.  Even current brand, there are some variations that are in stock (non-folder, different color, etc), but I have to wait for the action anyways.  There are actions that I am sure are very good, but going for the gusto a bit on this one.  This is an upgrade to the current gun, which still has lots of life left in it, so no rush. 

 

drck1000

Re: Firearm Component Lead Times
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 07:36:13 AM »
Just got word my action arrived at the shop doing the build.  It came in on their latest batch of orders.  Now just waiting for the chassis.  I believe that sucker is another 2 months minimum. . . :kickcan:

Ocean19

Re: Firearm Component Lead Times
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 01:39:22 PM »
Are you going to run a Saami chamber or a custom chamber in your barrel?

drck1000

Re: Firearm Component Lead Times
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 02:31:19 PM »
Are you going to run a Saami chamber or a custom chamber in your barrel?
Whatever the reamer that my gunsmith/builder uses.  I would have to check my notes, but it's a match .308 reamer or something that that was made just for them.

Are you building a bolt action rifle?  There are other threads on custom builders on here.  Many of them are happy to chat with you.  That's what I ended up doing.  Emailing for info and ended up chatting with a couple of companies before deciding on one company.  They are super helpful.

Ocean19

Firearm Component Lead Times
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 04:57:15 PM »
I was thinking about it but there is so much info from builder to builder and various options or opinions that work the best. It gets daunting….
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 05:04:21 PM by Ocean19 »

drck1000

Re: Firearm Component Lead Times
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 11:01:31 AM »
I was thinking about it but there is so much info from builder to builder and various options or opinions that work the best. It gets daunting….
Yeah, it does.  But to a point, I decided to jump in and get something and let the experience and data drive.  I mean I'm generally going with some top of the line (or near) components, so somewhat of a level of understanding/belief that at that level, can't really go wrong.  Where I probably won't appreciate the finer differences. 

Discussions with the builders also helped me gauge if their shooting interests align with mine.  While I won't be shooting PRS, that style and level of shooting is closest to what my interests are.  I'm not after benchrest or F-Class style or level of shooting.  At least not right now.  That's mostly due to what I feel is my personal limitations on patience and discipline on load development.  I've started down the rabbit hole, but not willing to go to the neck turning, primer pocket uniforming, primer seating depth, etc level.  At least not yet.  Maybe eventually haha.

Jump on in.  Get something!   ;D