Narcissists and Social Media (Read 12292 times)

aieahound

Narcissists and Social Media
« on: August 30, 2021, 02:33:19 PM »
Check this guy out on YouTube.
He has a bunch of short videos on the topic.

Joeybtoonz

omnigun

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 03:03:32 PM »
Sounds like some old dude who hates these darn kids and their new trends.

I personally dont really do much with Social Media, but I don't know why everyone demonizes it so much.  Its just new.  Get used to it people.

aieahound

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 03:17:51 PM »
Anybody else wanna take this ?
It’s some low hanging fruit.

Heck I’ll take a swing.
Umni, it’s not the content, it’s the way they do it for the reasons they do it with disregard and deception.
Check out the guys YouTube channel. But you don’t seem to read past click bait headlines. SOS everybody tells you. (Same Old Shit if it’s not modern vernacular.)
Did you check out the ones where white youth went to BLM events and stage pictures and take off. Looks like they were involved.
Did you see about the captions and see the pics ?

All trying to get profit. In a clickbait world.
They are the modern day media for youth.
Maybe that’s modern day capitalism in a world that doesn’t need housing or food.

In most of his videos he references that the cure is not a shot (he’s poking fun it seems) but just decent parenting.

omnigun

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 03:21:14 PM »
Anybody else wanna take this ?
It’s some low hanging fruit.

Heck I’ll take a swing.
Umni, it’s not the content, it’s the way they do it for the reasons they do it with disregard and deception.
Check out the guys YouTube channel. But you don’t seem to read past click bait headlines.
Did you check out the ones where white youth went to BLM events and stage pictures and take off. Looks like they were involved.
Did you see about the captions and see the pics ?

All for profit. In a clickbait world.

I just watched the video, I didn't go full montey and watch all his content.  Nor do I want to.  Every generation has many people that  "hates" on the previous.  The hippies, etc.  We all survived and nothing bad happened.  People judge what they don't understand.  Not saying that social media is the most amazing thing, but its a trend like most and part of life. 

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 03:23:24 PM »
Sounds like some old dude who hates these darn kids and their new trends.

I personally dont really do much with Social Media, but I don't know why everyone demonizes it so much.  Its just new.  Get used to it people.

Social Media Sites Launched:

Facebook in 2004.

MySpace in 2005.

YouTube in 2005.

Twitter in 2006.

This is 2021 -- 1 1/2 decades later. 

How many years must pass before a social media company is no longer "new," in your opinion??  Get used to it?  You think we haven't?  Such a moron.   :wacko:

LOL!  Some of the crap you come up with is hilariously stupid.   :crazy:

Social Media dominates the majority of people's information needs.  More than 80% of people polled say they get their news from social media (look at how many people share news on here?  This is a social media platform, too).

If you don't know why FB, Twitter, and Google are demonized, maybe it's because YOU are the one who is out of touch, not the "old guys." 

Censorship is bad only when it happens to you, huh?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

aieahound

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 03:24:15 PM »
I’m not judging. Live and let live.
But these folks are just stupid and inconsiderate. (Maybe that is judging)
Being considerate. That’s a dying breed.

hvybarrels

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2021, 03:42:19 PM »
I’m not judging. Live and let live.
But these folks are just stupid and inconsiderate. (Maybe that is judging)
Being considerate. That’s a dying breed.

It's like watching an entire generation step in front of a bus but there is no point warning them because they do not have the mental capacity to listen to you anyway.
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

omnigun

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 03:52:01 PM »
Social Media Sites Launched:

Facebook in 2004.

MySpace in 2005.

YouTube in 2005.

Twitter in 2006.

This is 2021 -- 1 1/2 decades later. 

How many years must pass before a social media company is no longer "new," in your opinion??  Get used to it?  You think we haven't?  Such a moron.   :wacko:

LOL!  Some of the crap you come up with is hilariously stupid.   :crazy:

Social Media dominates the majority of people's information needs.  More than 80% of people polled say they get their news from social media (look at how many people share news on here?  This is a social media platform, too).

If you don't know why FB, Twitter, and Google are demonized, maybe it's because YOU are the one who is out of touch, not the "old guys." 

Censorship is bad only when it happens to you, huh?

In generational terms its new.   People said bad things about the hippies and drugs and sex.   Rock and roll.  Race integrations.  Culture evolves over time and the ones that grew up in a previous culture sometimes find it hard to adapt.

Glasser

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 04:01:42 PM »
Hahaha, some dumb kid wants to tell us all about this new fangled thing called the internet. I guess those of us from the Atari generation who's first PC was probably a VIC-20 and used to dial up to a BBS to download our porn have no clue about modern technology and its its fresh new facets....

Get off my lawn!

ren

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 04:07:54 PM »
Hahaha, some dumb kid wants to tell us all about this new fangled thing called the internet. I guess those of us from the Atari generation who's first PC was probably a VIC-20 and used to dial up to a BBS to download our porn have no clue about modern technology and its its fresh new facets....

Get off my lawn!

My first was a Timex Sinclair with a membrane keyboard. I played with rocks because we couldn't find an Atari at Goodwill - still expensive.
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 04:18:33 PM »
Hahaha, some dumb kid wants to tell us all about this new fangled thing called the internet. I guess those of us from the Atari generation who's first PC was probably a VIC-20 and used to dial up to a BBS to download our porn have no clue about modern technology and its its fresh new facets....

Get off my lawn!

I earned my Computer Science degree in 1984.

I was working on multi-billion dollar military computer and communications systems in my early 20s and learning "new" software like PC DOS, MS Excel, DBase, FoxBase, WordPerfect, and eventually MS Windows.

I was on the "Internet" before the Internet existed (DARPANet / MILNet).  I used communications lines in college to run compilers on my programming projects using mainframes at other universities in the NC Research Triangle.

I used a Commodore 64 in my apartment as a dial-up terminal to complete my last year of programming courses.

I programmed and used IBM mainframes at work and deployed to Saudi Arabia over my 5 years in Oklahoma.

I supported the 1st Gulf War (Operations Desert Storm/Shield) with systems that generated the coalition forces Air Tasking Order, spelling out in great detail which units were to hit what targets and in what priority. 

I created a home network (lab) with 13 PCs connected to the Internet via one modem installed in a Linux PC -- dial-up on demand.  A PC at home that hit an Internet IP caused the modem to connect automatically.  That was in 1993, years before the dot-com bubble started.

All-in-all, the people who grew up with technology early on had the most advantage.  We not only developed the new technologies, but we know how it all works together.

From DNS to DHCP, from 64K RAM to 64Bit O/S, we traveled the road, and we remember the stops along the way.

Until Omni does something new and innovative in the realm of IT, he's just trolling.  He has no idea how most of the "tech" he uses on a daily basis actually works.  That's why he's on the phone to India-based tech support so often.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 04:24:57 PM »
In generational terms its new.   People said bad things about the hippies and drugs and sex.   Rock and roll.  Race integrations.  Culture evolves over time and the ones that grew up in a previous culture sometimes find it hard to adapt.

Technology doesn't abide by your definition of "generational terms," whatever that implies.

Bill Gates' "generation" is still driving the computer industry in many areas.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

aieahound

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 05:17:55 PM »
Smartest folks I know are insatiably curious, and with all that knowledge they collect they use it to keep refining and sharpening their mind like the edge of an xacto knife.
Maybe that is why there is now a couple generations where the majority of them are just plain stupid.
Hard to be curious when you lived your life with information on demand at the push of a button in your pocket, and while that could have should have been a great thing, once we decided it was ok for some folks to have the power to cook the books on search results and 'allowable' knowledge.
You are left with a whole bunch of people who dont know much of anything other than how to push a button and get  SOMEONE ELSE'S OPINION. 

30 yrs about the Dean of my Dept said to me "Universities used to teach people HOW to think, not WHAT to think, but now we dont even do that we are teaching people a vocation. We make Followers, not Leaders'

Not really related but had to be repeated in my opinion.


Now related…
Right, wrong, indifferent….funny

« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 05:27:08 PM by aieahound »

groveler

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2021, 05:57:18 PM »
I earned my Computer Science degree in 1984.

I was working on multi-billion dollar military computer and communications systems in my early 20s and learning "new" software like PC DOS, MS Excel, DBase, FoxBase, WordPerfect, and eventually MS Windows.

I was on the "Internet" before the Internet existed (DARPANet / MILNet).  I used communications lines in college to run compilers on my programming projects using mainframes at other universities in the NC Research Triangle.

I used a Commodore 64 in my apartment as a dial-up terminal to complete my last year of programming courses.

I programmed and used IBM mainframes at work and deployed to Saudi Arabia over my 5 years in Oklahoma.

I supported the 1st Gulf War (Operations Desert Storm/Shield) with systems that generated the coalition forces Air Tasking Order, spelling out in great detail which units were to hit what targets and in what priority. 

I created a home network (lab) with 13 PCs connected to the Internet via one modem installed in a Linux PC -- dial-up on demand.  A PC at home that hit an Internet IP caused the modem to connect automatically.  That was in 1993, years before the dot-com bubble started.

All-in-all, the people who grew up with technology early on had the most advantage.  We not only developed the new technologies, but we know how it all works together.

From DNS to DHCP, from 64K RAM to 64Bit O/S, we traveled the road, and we remember the stops along the way.

Until Omni does something new and innovative in the realm of IT, he's just trolling.  He has no idea how most of the "tech" he uses on a daily basis actually works.  That's why he's on the phone to India-based tech support so often.
I'm class of 90.  I was going to school, working 50+ hours per week and raising a family in 84.
Do to my background I'm both a software and electronics engineer, I'm also a technician.
I can go from tube radios to FPGAs,  Systems design and program about anything, Plus fix it all
and explain it.

What I am having trouble doing is making black powder for my 54 Hawken.
This is a gun site correct?.
Who has a good recipe for FFG?
I have all the "stuff" but I'd like some local input.
Aloha.
 :geekdanc:
 

oldfart

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 05:59:19 PM »
Biblically, narcissistic behavior is the first of the 7 deadly sins.
Ie. Our world is screwed up.
What, Me Worry?

Glasser

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2021, 06:01:53 PM »
Irony is that the amount of worthless narcissistic data that is being stored to share via social media on webz and cloudz requires them to build more and more, bigger and better server farms,
server farms made of toxic metals, unrecyclable plastic that are generating enormous amounts of heat, requiring astronomical amounts of refrigeration and consume fucktons of electricity not made by green energy .... and what do they do with these resources besides taking worthless pics of their mundane lives? ....
....lecture people about environmental issues....

O. Henry.




oldfart

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2021, 06:31:07 PM »
Re. Electronic stuff, my grandfather was building radios and cars in the 40's.
That inspired my brother and I to pursue careers in technology during the 70's.
He was smarter than me so he did satellites and related secret projects.
I just wanted to have fun and find chicks.
He retired. I'm still working computer stuff with hot young chicks.
It's a tough life.
Btw, my first home computer was an Atari 64XL. It was connected to a dot matrix printer and 5-1/4 inch floppy.
Connected to the internet via America Online dial up modem.
My first email was compuserve.
Relating to guns, I used the Atari to calculate the composition of the bullets I was making about 35 years ago.
I just used a similar program to calculate those Slovenian bullets I made a week ago.

What, Me Worry?

ren

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2021, 06:59:56 PM »
this is what social media really is:


current social media rewards narcissism. People have died from their own doings to chase those "likes" and views.
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2021, 07:05:07 PM »
Re. Electronic stuff, my grandfather was building radios and cars in the 40's.
That inspired my brother and I to pursue careers in technology during the 70's.
He was smarter than me so he did satellites and related secret projects.
I just wanted to have fun and find chicks.
He retired. I'm still working computer stuff with hot young chicks.
It's a tough life.
Btw, my first home computer was an Atari 64XL. It was connected to a dot matrix printer and 5-1/4 inch floppy.
Connected to the internet via America Online dial up modem.
My first email was compuserve.
Relating to guns, I used the Atari to calculate the composition of the bullets I was making about 35 years ago.
I just used a similar program to calculate those Slovenian bullets I made a week ago.

When I moved to Oklahoma, there was a show on in the afternoons called "Bingo-mania."  The bingo cards could be picked up at any of about 5 participating restaurants and supermarkets.  Since my wife worked at one, she was allowed to bring home a handful of cards.  Each week the color of card changed, so they were only good for one week, then you had to go get more.

I created a BASIC program on my Commodore 64 that let us enter the card numbers using the keyboard.  Each card had a serial number, which we provided to the show if we called in with a winner.

Once the game aired, a second program loaded the data file created by hand into a linked list array.  I could store over 750 cards before i ran out of memory, and the array allowed us to tally the numbers called without having to do a search of the table.  Almost every game won at the 25th number called.  Had it been earlier, the prize would have been much more valuable.  After #25, the first caller with a winning card won $200.  Each of the next 25 callers won $25.

We made enough in one season of the show aired to pay for my computer, 3 x 5.25" external disk drives (max number the C-64 could address was 4), my Star SG10 9-pin dot matrix black & white printer, the 300 baud modem, the fast-load game cartridge that added features to the O/S, my IBM joystick, and all the other accessories I'd accumulated for the C-64.  We won the $200 at least 5 times, and the $25 prize over a dozen times.  The computer and drives were about $900, and the printer was about $200.

All-in-all, I didn't feel bad about using a computer to win.  The game was rigged.  We noticed that the winners were all coming from one part of the broadcast area each week.  With each color card that went out, a different part was allowed to win. As we noticed, the cards each week in one area was missing a given set of numbers.  That means, if one of those numbers was called, it excluded to area missing that number.  We kept a list of the missing numbers each week.  Once a number in that group was called, we knew we couldn't win within 25 numbers and beat the other callers.

I guess they mistakenly thought it made the game appear fairer by spreading the wins around to all areas over the season.

Anyway, the point being -- knowing how to Google isn't a skill.  However, being able to make a 64K max memory PC running a BASIC interpreter pay for itself IMO qualifies.

 :geekdanc: :geekdanc:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

aieahound

Re: Narcissists and Social Media
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2021, 07:09:38 PM »
^
Perfect story about narcissists and social media.
Point made. I’m just glad there’s no picture.

Didn’t have a Vic 20 and walk 5 miles to school in the snow uphill both ways ?
The Flapp dance is narcissistic in my opinion.  :geekdanc: and you double posted it.  :rofl:

current social media rewards narcissism. People have died from their own doings to chase those "likes" and views.

People do die from trying to get selfies chasing “likes”. Nuts.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 07:21:17 PM by aieahound »