AMEX email scam (Read 4051 times)

oldfart

AMEX email scam
« on: September 09, 2021, 10:08:00 AM »
I got a really authentic looking email that appeared to be from American Express. saying that there was supicious account activity.
It took a few clicks to see where it came from.....

sam_kochB@blagolocca.com,

Great huh?
What, Me Worry?

RSN172

Re: AMEX email scam
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 12:49:21 PM »
Couple weeks ago I had two calls. One said I won $12m and they just needed a $5k processing fee. The other told me I won $2m plus $7000 a week for life.  He wanted $2500 to process the paperwork.   Told the first caller I didn't need the money and give it to someone else. I told the 2nd caller to take the money out of my first week's $7000.
Happily living in Puna

drck1000

Re: AMEX email scam
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 02:52:09 PM »
Maybe a senior thing.  My dad got a couple of those where they asked for a Walmart or some common store GC for payout of $10k or something like that. 

I just get the calls from dickwads like Ed Case telling me about his talk story.  I don't answer the calls, but if I did and it was a person, I'd tell them never call me again, or I am going to put $$$ into "none of the above" campaign next election. 

macsak

Re: AMEX email scam
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 03:07:46 PM »
Maybe a senior thing.  My dad got a couple of those where they asked for a Walmart or some common store GC for payout of $10k or something like that. 

I just get the calls from dickwads like Ed Case telling me about his talk story.  I don't answer the calls, but if I did and it was a person, I'd tell them never call me again, or I am going to put $$$ into "none of the above" campaign next election.

send $100 via paypal...

groveler

Re: AMEX email scam
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 03:15:02 PM »
Have you guys thought of switching to
a Linux O/S?
Do a dual boot setup and do all your internet on Linux, and only use
Windows when you have to.
 :geekdanc:

hvybarrels

Re: AMEX email scam
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 07:02:57 PM »
Have you guys thought of switching to
a Linux O/S?
Do a dual boot setup and do all your internet on Linux, and only use
Windows when you have to.
 :geekdanc:

I'm going in that direction, especially since Apple admitted they want to make all their devices searchable for governments. I'll keep my Mac for work stuff since I use their software and just air gap it, and then pick up one of the mini computers for online stuff.
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Flapp_Jackson

Re: AMEX email scam
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 10:06:29 PM »
Switching to another O/S is so "old school", as is "dual booting."

The best way to have multiple O/S's is to us a Virtual Machine.

Lots of VM managers out there, free or affordable.

I have Linux on my Windows PC and unRaid server, and Windows on my MacBook AIr.  If something malicious messes up a VM, and you're backing it up regularly, you can just store the VM files from before the problem appeared.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

drck1000

Re: AMEX email scam
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 07:08:06 AM »
send $100 via paypal...
#totallylegit
#calculatedrisk

groveler

Re: AMEX email scam
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 09:20:52 AM »
Switching to another O/S is so "old school", as is "dual booting."

The best way to have multiple O/S's is to us a Virtual Machine.

Lots of VM managers out there, free or affordable.

I have Linux on my Windows PC and unRaid server, and Windows on my MacBook AIr.  If something malicious messes up a VM, and you're backing it up regularly, you can just store the VM files from before the problem appeared.
VM is about as "Old school as it gets".
Remember the IBM 360, PDP-11s?  Everybody tied into it. Nothing was local.
I prefer to keep my stuff local so in the event of a Black Swan event, I still
have data I need to make survival easier.  Memory is cheap today.
Use it or lose it.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: AMEX email scam
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 11:54:04 AM »
VM is about as "Old school as it gets".
Remember the IBM 360, PDP-11s?  Everybody tied into it. Nothing was local.
I prefer to keep my stuff local so in the event of a Black Swan event, I still
have data I need to make survival easier.  Memory is cheap today.
Use it or lose it.

I'm not sure about your environment, but we simply accessed the IBM mainframes using terminals due to the classified nature of the job.

Nobody had PCs until the mid 80s at my unit.  Even then, PCs were for the secretaries plus one in each office setup on a separate desk for all to use.

Most of those mainframe or mini-computer environments involved running X11 clients (PCs, DEC workstations, etc.) with the servers running the apps and displaying the interface on the client.  Totally different from a VM.

We had an IBM 4331 running VM software, but all the processes were contained on that machine with access provided by 3 terminals connected to the host and 2 VMs.  The machine emulated an IBM 360/370 with unlimited virtual devices.

I'm not sure what timeframe you were referring to, but being able to run a virtual machine with a full-blown O/S isn't something I'd call old school relative to dual boot.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

oldfart

Re: AMEX email scam
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2021, 02:01:36 PM »
I bought a Colecovision game system in hopes of turning it into a home pc. That never happened.
Then I got an ATARI game console and that was a pretty effective home pc.
What, Me Worry?

groveler

Re: AMEX email scam
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2021, 03:10:44 PM »
I'm not sure about your environment, but we simply accessed the IBM mainframes using terminals due to the classified nature of the job.

Nobody had PCs until the mid 80s at my unit.  Even then, PCs were for the secretaries plus one in each office setup on a separate desk for all to use.

Most of those mainframe or mini-computer environments involved running X11 clients (PCs, DEC workstations, etc.) with the servers running the apps and displaying the interface on the client.  Totally different from a VM.

We had an IBM 4331 running VM software, but all the processes were contained on that machine with access provided by 3 terminals connected to the host and 2 VMs.  The machine emulated an IBM 360/370 with unlimited virtual devices.

I'm not sure what timeframe you were referring to, but being able to run a virtual machine with a full-blown O/S isn't something I'd call old school relative to dual boot.
Perhaps I'm talking apples and oranges with you.
I'm trained to design operating systems.
I'm also trained to design the machines that run them.
and I can say that when your fiber is cut your Virtual Machine goes to NULL.
as does everyone else connected to it.
If your VM is hacked you are Fucked.
My set-up is such that you could hack, and hold hostage my entire data system,
and I can recover in a few hours.
That is OLD school.
Isolation and compartmentalization is a good thing.
 :geekdanc:



Flapp_Jackson

Re: AMEX email scam
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2021, 03:18:16 PM »
Perhaps I'm talking apples and oranges with you.
I'm trained to design operating systems.
I'm also trained to design the machines that run them.
and I can say that when your fiber is cut your Virtual Machine goes to NULL.
as does everyone else connected to it.
If your VM is hacked you are Fucked.
My set-up is such that you could hack, and hold hostage my entire data system,
and I can recover in a few hours.
That is OLD school.
Isolation and compartmentalization is a good thing.
 :geekdanc:

Sounds like you're talking about thin client architecture.

The clients can be PCs, Macs or UNIX machines as long as they are running the right display software, usually X11.

The clients download a small OS to run the display, and the apps are run on the server.  All the windows are displayed on the remote client.  Normally there's a license limit per app, so if too many are opening an app, the next in line will have to wait for a license to be freed up.

This is called distributed architecture, and yes, if the network has problems, the clients can't do anything since apps reside on and are run on the servers.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw