PSA: The yellow line (Read 7769 times)

ren

PSA: The yellow line
« on: December 20, 2021, 09:58:43 AM »
If you are told several times to stay behind the yellow line maybe you should either listen or pack up your stuff and go home and leave the rest of us real shooters alone. The range is far but I still go. I make that journey so don't waste my time.
Its not hard the rules are posted when you sign in and are posted near all the benches. Don't argue that you have countless hours of training and that you were a SF, SEAL, Space Shuttle HALO jumper. Just go home and watch some NRA safety videos.
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 11:19:05 AM »
Since this seems to be a non-stop issue, has anyone looked into low-cost, effective remedies?  Training always fails when the trainee isn't paying attention -- even the best "real shooter" has a brain fart now and then.

I was thinking, maybe a simple railing along the yellow line, where the shooters have to walk to a entrance/exit "hole" in the rail.  There could even be a chain for the last person out during a cease fire to connect between the rail sections as a "gate" to stop people from entering.

Sometimes water pipes can be obtained cheaply, like when a building is demolished or renovated by the government.  With the right flanges and connectors, the rail could be installed cheap enough.

Make the entrance/exit locations about 2-3 shooter positions apart, so someone at lane 2 might have to cross the yellow line at position 1 or 3.  Add to the signs "No going over or under the railing."

That's just one, initial thought I had.  Any physical barrier is bound to stop the majority of brain farts.  Faded yellow paint on the floor doesn't seen to be enough to remind people to not cross it.

I'm not saying lack of a barrier is an excuse.  Just that an ongoing problem has been identified, and telling people to stay home isn't really a solution.  I would think coming to the range more often would do more to teach than keeping them away.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Inspector

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 11:48:10 AM »
Since this seems to be a non-stop issue, has anyone looked into low-cost, effective remedies?  Training always fails when the trainee isn't paying attention -- even the best "real shooter" has a brain fart now and then.

I was thinking, maybe a simple railing along the yellow line, where the shooters have to walk to a entrance/exit "hole" in the rail.  There could even be a chain for the last person out during a cease fire to connect between the rail sections as a "gate" to stop people from entering.

Sometimes water pipes can be obtained cheaply, like when a building is demolished or renovated by the government.  With the right flanges and connectors, the rail could be installed cheap enough.

Make the entrance/exit locations about 2-3 shooter positions apart, so someone at lane 2 might have to cross the yellow line at position 1 or 3.  Add to the signs "No going over or under the railing."

That's just one, initial thought I had.  Any physical barrier is bound to stop the majority of brain farts.  Faded yellow paint on the floor doesn't seen to be enough to remind people to not cross it.

I'm not saying lack of a barrier is an excuse.  Just that an ongoing problem has been identified, and telling people to stay home isn't really a solution.  I would think coming to the range more often would do more to teach than keeping them away.
I have been guilty of being yelled at once or twice about not being behind the yellow line. Now let’s see, I went there an average of 50 times a year for 11 years. I guess I had a brain fart or two. But once I was embarrassed at being yelled at I fully cooperated and apologized to the RSO.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

drck1000

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 12:04:16 PM »
Again?  :(

I haven't seen or heard folks getting yelled at in a while.  I've been trying to go during the week, where seems less newbies go.  Thankfully, I haven't seen someone lip off back at the ROs in a long time.  Yeah, I'll see someone forget target supplies (target, stapler, etc) about 2 seconds after the RO told them to make sure they have them.  Some people just don't listen or care. . .

tommynauw

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 01:24:00 PM »
Ren were you on the rifle side Sunday (12/19) morning? I heard some extended "get behind the line" business from the Silhouette range. Wonder if that's what you're talking about.

powerlessbump

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 02:38:58 PM »
Since this seems to be a non-stop issue, has anyone looked into low-cost, effective remedies?  Training always fails when the trainee isn't paying attention -- even the best "real shooter" has a brain fart now and then.

I was thinking, maybe a simple railing along the yellow line, where the shooters have to walk to a entrance/exit "hole" in the rail.  There could even be a chain for the last person out during a cease fire to connect between the rail sections as a "gate" to stop people from entering.

Sometimes water pipes can be obtained cheaply, like when a building is demolished or renovated by the government.  With the right flanges and connectors, the rail could be installed cheap enough.

Make the entrance/exit locations about 2-3 shooter positions apart, so someone at lane 2 might have to cross the yellow line at position 1 or 3.  Add to the signs "No going over or under the railing."

That's just one, initial thought I had.  Any physical barrier is bound to stop the majority of brain farts.  Faded yellow paint on the floor doesn't seen to be enough to remind people to not cross it.

I'm not saying lack of a barrier is an excuse.  Just that an ongoing problem has been identified, and telling people to stay home isn't really a solution.  I would think coming to the range more often would do more to teach than keeping them away.

Poles on a pulley system or even just a set of ropes and stanchions that can connect and stow away easily. That keeps obstructions out of the way during live fire as well.

omnigun

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 02:53:18 PM »
Last time I saw that happen was a whole family.  And the wife just didn't figure it out at first.

WTF?Shane

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 04:28:44 PM »
The offenders probably don't frequent this page, so they won't get the message.  :thumbsup:

powder monkey

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 04:48:46 PM »
People just need to focus and listen to range command.

ren

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 06:54:13 PM »
person just don't listen or heed signals. They should incorporate range safety into building codes when building ranges or renovation of existing ranges to meet such code...
Deeds Not Words

jc2721

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 08:35:36 PM »
Late yesterday morning at the rifle side some guy got yelled at 2-3 times during one cease fire and got yelled at again the very next cease fire.  I'm surprised Mitch didn't 86 him or her (or it? non-binary?  :wtf: lol, whatever).

QUIETShooter

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 10:06:14 PM »
Yellow line?  There's a yellow line.....?

Just kidding.  There is a yellow line. :shaka:

But it is very faded.  Maybe a fresh coat of yellow paint will help.  I'd be more than willing to volunteer and even donate the materials to make it happen.  Unfortunately range clean up/maintenance day by volunteers hasn't been permitted so far.

And I agree that some people hear the commands but they are not listening.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

ren

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2021, 10:11:12 PM »
And I agree that some people hear the commands but they are not listening.

glad we don't have anyone here...
Deeds Not Words

Inspector

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2021, 02:19:26 AM »
glad we don't have anyone here...
Did you really expect any different behavior?
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

dogman

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2021, 05:48:52 AM »
person just don't listen or heed signals. They should incorporate range safety into building codes when building ranges or renovation of existing ranges to meet such code...
Shock collars

macsak

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2021, 05:51:14 AM »

jc2721

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2021, 08:54:36 AM »
Take pictures and post them on the bulletin boards--wall of shame.

jc2721

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2021, 08:56:14 AM »
Shock collars
stun guns/tasers become legal to own in a few weeks, just sayin'

QUIETShooter

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2021, 11:25:02 AM »
1" PVC conduit.  Wack 'em in the okole everytime they no listen.

Or just use the broom we use to clean up brass.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

macsak

Re: PSA: The yellow line
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2021, 11:40:21 AM »
1" PVC conduit.  Wack 'em in the okole everytime they no listen.

Or just use the broom we use to clean up brass.

broom too small...