anyone remember Steve Gendel? HK dealer? (Read 3586 times)

ren

anyone remember Steve Gendel? HK dealer?
« on: January 23, 2022, 04:20:54 PM »
I remember him from the mid 90s when I first got into shooting. He loved HKs and couldn't speak enough about them. He had a newsletter. Wonder what happened to him? I heard that he ran his business in Waikiki?
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

Re: anyone remember Steve Gendel? HK dealer?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 04:41:15 PM »
I bought stuff from him.
My coworker used to help him at the gun shows.
He died.
He worked out of his cluttered apartment at Century center.
Not to be confused with Century Square.
Very knowledgeable. Very eccentric.
What, Me Worry?

astroboy

Re: anyone remember Steve Gendel? HK dealer?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 07:01:19 AM »
He had a lot of knowledge of the H&K products. I bought a few items from him.

On a side note I saw a guy named Warren Katz on local tv. He has a Texas style BBQ food truck.
It kinda looked like the same Katz that ran LGS the Armory but I am not sure if it was him.   

oldfart

Re: anyone remember Steve Gendel? HK dealer?
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 09:06:49 AM »
He had a lot of knowledge of the H&K products. I bought a few items from him.

On a side note I saw a guy named Warren Katz on local tv. He has a Texas style BBQ food truck.
It kinda looked like the same Katz that ran LGS the Armory but I am not sure if it was him.
....
I found the story on Island Smokehouse bbq.
It was a KHON food to go interview from January 11.
It sure looks like Katz.
I heard he got busted for selling illegal steroids, or something like that.

I'm still in touch with Myles who used to work for Katz about 40 yrs ago.
He moved to TX.
What, Me Worry?

astroboy

Re: anyone remember Steve Gendel? HK dealer?
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 10:16:02 AM »
Myles is a fun guy. He has so many amazing experiences and stories. I hope he is doing well in Texas.
I will miss Myles.

When Warren had his going out of business sale I got a lot of stuff on the cheap. He was really so nice
and helpful.

oldfart

Re: anyone remember Steve Gendel? HK dealer?
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 10:36:02 AM »
Myles is a fun guy. He has so many amazing experiences and stories. I hope he is doing well in Texas.
I will miss Myles.

When Warren had his going out of business sale I got a lot of stuff on the cheap. He was really so nice
and helpful.
....
Myles surely has a sense of humor. When the covid thing happened, he sent me the drive through anal swab test picture.
What, Me Worry?

surfmaster

Re: anyone remember Steve Gendel? HK dealer?
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 11:26:50 AM »
Myles is a fun guy. He has so many amazing experiences and stories. I hope he is doing well in Texas.
I will miss Myles.

When Warren had his going out of business sale I got a lot of stuff on the cheap. He was really so nice
and helpful.

That sure is Warren Katz, https://www.khon2.com/wake-up-2day/food-2go/food-2go-island-smoke-house-bbq/

I recall shopping at the Armory in Wahiawa back in the late 80s/90s and it wasn't a pleasant experience. Katz acted like I was bothering him when I was the only person in the store. I asked for an extra Lee turret and he said he didn't have one in stock. He then pulled it from the display and I was happy at that moment. He then throws it hard on the counter like he was angry. I guess rounds reloaded with that thing sure lost some accuracy. I asked him another question and he responded, "I don't know. I just own the f_ _ _ ing place." I never returned to the Wahiawa store after that.

He then moved to Kakaako where he had a going out of business sale. Items were more costly than expected. It seems like his big discount percentage must have applied to just the first dollar worth of merchandise. I, like many, did not miss him or his bad attitude.

Check out the reviews on Yelp for Island Smokehouse BBQ. I guess some people never really change.

oldfart

Re: anyone remember Steve Gendel? HK dealer?
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 11:50:03 AM »
I wanna try Texas808 bbq. Anybody try that place?

Oh BTW Ren, why the interest in Gendel???
What, Me Worry?

macsak

Re: anyone remember Steve Gendel? HK dealer?
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 12:34:02 PM »
Very eccentric.

HK people are like that...

hifrmHI

Re: anyone remember Steve Gendel? HK dealer?
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 06:30:30 AM »
Yes I remember him. Never met him but had a few phone conversations with him. I still have some papers he emailed me with HK info etc. If I'm not mistaking he was an authorized HK dealer and if you purchased an HK from him you would get a course with Masaad Ayoob ? Anyone else can confirm on this ?

ren

Re: anyone remember Steve Gendel? HK dealer?
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 08:44:51 PM »
I wanna try Texas808 bbq. Anybody try that place?

Oh BTW Ren, why the interest in Gendel???

looking back because quite a few people in the industry have passed....RayVin...
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

Re: anyone remember Steve Gendel? HK dealer?
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 10:16:30 PM »
I wanna try Texas808 bbq. Anybody try that place?

Oh BTW Ren, why the interest in Gendel???
I spent $60 on a rib. Yes, singular. And never have rice, mac n cheese, etc...only slaw. Not worth it IMO.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

oldfart

Re: anyone remember Steve Gendel? HK dealer?
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 06:40:05 AM »
I spent $60 on a rib. Yes, singular. And never have rice, mac n cheese, etc...only slaw. Not worth it IMO.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
...
Now I'm really curious to try them.
What, Me Worry?

astroboy

Re: anyone remember Steve Gendel? HK dealer?
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 09:41:52 AM »
Should we wait until bbq ribs day?

changemyoil66

Re: anyone remember Steve Gendel? HK dealer?
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 10:17:36 AM »
...
Now I'm really curious to try them.

All the meats are by the lbs, so we ended up getting some brisket also and the bill for 2 people was $95.  And still had no sides, so went home at cooked rice.

macsak

Re: anyone remember Steve Gendel? HK dealer?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 10:32:20 AM »
All the meats are by the lbs, so we ended up getting some brisket also and the bill for 2 people was $95.  And still had no sides, so went home at cooked rice.

are you sure you're not talking about sunset texas barbeque?

oldfart

Re: anyone remember Steve Gendel? HK dealer?
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 10:41:43 AM »
Should we wait until bbq ribs day?
============
National BBQ rib day is July 4, 2022
not joking, it really is
=========
There is a little takeout in Waipahu called Ultimate Grindz that I would like to try.
Supposed to have great pork belly.
What, Me Worry?