Wilderness First Aid / Wilderness First Responder (Read 10049 times)

kala201

Wilderness First Aid / Wilderness First Responder
« on: October 08, 2012, 10:05:02 PM »
I've recently been promoted (actually feels more like demoted) at work.  I've gone from being a tradesman working in the field to being the training director in charge of safety trainings for my local union.  We are required to renew our first aid/cpr certs annually.  In an effort to make things more pertinent and less boring I have started to do research into more advance types of CPR/First Aid.  One of the ones I came across which looks promising is the Wilderness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder certification classes.  I found one group here in Hawaii that is tied to a nationally recognized program.  Here's their link for those of you who are interested.

http://hawaiiwilderness.org/courses/wfr/

I'm hoping my union will pay for me and some of my instructors to go through this training.  For those of you who are avid outdoorsmen and looking for something more advanced this looks like something that may be up your alley.  Having been a C&C lifeguard for a number of years I see a lot of value in learning advanced techniques and then teaching them to those in my trade who are interested.  I have emailed them as a rep for my union, if any of you want some follow up info pm me.   :shaka:

HiCarry

Re: Wilderness First Aid / Wilderness First Responder
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 05:40:29 PM »
I've recently been promoted (actually feels more like demoted) at work.  I've gone from being a tradesman working in the field to being the training director in charge of safety trainings for my local union.  We are required to renew our first aid/cpr certs annually.  In an effort to make things more pertinent and less boring I have started to do research into more advance types of CPR/First Aid.  One of the ones I came across which looks promising is the Wilderness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder certification classes.  I found one group here in Hawaii that is tied to a nationally recognized program.  Here's their link for those of you who are interested.

http://hawaiiwilderness.org/courses/wfr/

I'm hoping my union will pay for me and some of my instructors to go through this training.  For those of you who are avid outdoorsmen and looking for something more advanced this looks like something that may be up your alley.  Having been a C&C lifeguard for a number of years I see a lot of value in learning advanced techniques and then teaching them to those in my trade who are interested.  I have emailed them as a rep for my union, if any of you want some follow up info pm me.   :shaka:

I am familiar with the course curriculum of the Wilderness First Aid course, and it is a good one. It offers training on what to do in the event a medical response is delayed or not possible. It is, as you suggest, great for those going off the beaten path, or preparing for eventualities where medical care is unavailable (post-major SHTF stuff).

That being said, its usefulness in more routine industrial or "around the home" accidents is limited. If the desire is to make your workplace safer, focus on more general First Responder training will probably better suit your needs. It is doubtful you'll ever get to use, for example, the how to amputate a limb you learned in the Wilderness course, but much more likely to need to know how to wash out a contaminated eye, or to stabilize a foreign body in an eye for transport.

That being said, the wilderness course is pretty cool.....

kala201

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 09:27:21 AM »
HiCarry-

Thanks for the feedback.  My guys already go through a semi-advanced class that you mentioned.  Besides basic first aid and CPR for adults, children, and infants they also do ambubag, epipen, sam splint, blood stopper, and tourniquet.  We have to go through an annual refresher because of the NFPA 70E so I really want to give my instructors a great pool of knowledge to draw upon.  This way things can be a little more hard hitting and hopefully less boring.  True enough we would probably never have to amputate someone's limb, but at least its something my instructors can talk about.  Its hard to want to come to class when its pretty much the same old boring stuff.  Also I am seeing my members work more and more in remote areas.  A good example is here on Oahu I have guys that have to be airlifted by helicopter to their jobsite.  So my thinking is that if I can get at least one guy with more advance training on these types of jobs the better off they'll be should the unthinkable happen.

I talked to our lead trainer he said that the Wilderness First Aid/First Responder Train the Trainer class is 40 hours.  I'm thinking that it is still something I want to see at least my more senior instructors go through.  Of course I need to attend to so that I know what's going on.  ;D  I just need to get my director to sign off on it now.

Cougar8045

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 09:07:12 AM »
I am familiar with the course curriculum of the Wilderness First Aid course, and it is a good one. It offers training on what to do in the event a medical response is delayed or not possible. It is, as you suggest, great for those going off the beaten path, or preparing for eventualities where medical care is unavailable (post-major SHTF stuff).

That being said, its usefulness in more routine industrial or "around the home" accidents is limited. If the desire is to make your workplace safer, focus on more general First Responder training will probably better suit your needs. It is doubtful you'll ever get to use, for example, the how to amputate a limb you learned in the Wilderness course, but much more likely to need to know how to wash out a contaminated eye, or to stabilize a foreign body in an eye for transport.

That being said, the wilderness course is pretty cool.....
Dammit, you had to tell me that the Wilderness course teaches field-expedient amputations, didn't you?  Now I've got one more thing to save sheckles for!  lol
I'm just a fluffy white bunny rabbit who lost his way. 

"If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. ..."  -Exodus 22:2

kala201

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 04:12:11 PM »
If I get my trainer card for this class how many members do you think would want to receive training?

dubya

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 06:21:33 PM »
The Best Defense recently had a segment that included basic suturing, etc.

i'd be down to take a class that provided that kind of info.

perhaps HDF-sponsored, with proceeds going to HDF/2aHawaii?

dubya

bass monkey

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 07:02:03 PM »
The best defense, on the outdoor channel.  Are there any new episodes?  All the listings i have seen have been for old episodes.  When will the next season start?

Oh and for first aid, i talked to one of the trainers when we took this class, he said it comes down to the ABCs and CPR usually for severe injuries.  Its always good to know how to safely move a body, neck support, make splints, bandage up yourself and stuff like that.  The best part was camping and spending time with other agencies "after-hours"

dubya

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 08:32:18 AM »
The best defense, on the outdoor channel.  Are there any new episodes?  All the listings i have seen have been for old episodes.  When will the next season start?

Oh and for first aid, i talked to one of the trainers when we took this class, he said it comes down to the ABCs and CPR usually for severe injuries.  Its always good to know how to safely move a body, neck support, make splints, bandage up yourself and stuff like that.  The best part was camping and spending time with other agencies "after-hours"

yes sir, the suturing episode was a replay of Midway's The Best Defense, on The Outdoor Channel, from this past season.

not sure when the new season starts... is it usually late fall? (where are those post-production guys to answer questions when you need them?!?)

sounds like a good time was had by all at that outdoor camping session.

kala201

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 08:23:43 AM »
I saw that episode when it first came out.  Check out youtube for even better hot to suture videos.  With those videos and my doctor friend I've gotten pretty good.  I've saved a lot of chicken thighs and breasts thanks to them.   :rofl:  For smaller cuts that may need only a few stitches super glue works well.

OahuCPRTraining

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 10:36:49 AM »
kala201,

According to their website, the Hawaii Wilderness Adventure School's Wilderness First Responder class that you mentioned is not open to the public unfortunately.

Which island are you on? Oahu CPR Training offers Advanced First Aid, Wilderness First Aid, Wilderness First Responder, and Wilderness EMT Upgrade classes on Oahu.

oahucprtraining.com
BLS, Advanced First Aid, & Wilderness Emergency Care Instructor Trainer
National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians -  Member
National Association of EMS Educators - Member

Hawaii Outdoors Institute

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 01:22:48 PM »
Aloha everyone,

I thought I'd let you know our next Wilderness First Responder course will be Sept. 30-Oct. 9, 2013 on Maui.  For those coming from off island, we've included oceanfront cabins in the price!  The class room is also on the beach.  We'll be doing airport and grocery store shuttles throughout the course, so no need to rent a car.  This is truly the best way to learn wilderness medicine! 

Here's a link to our website with more details:  http://hawaiioutdoors.org/courses/wfr/

Email me if you have any questions- greg@hawaiioutdoors.org

Hope you can make it!   

Flyer below: 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 01:33:32 PM by Hawaii Outdoors Institute »

Funtimes

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 09:38:56 PM »
Damn that's a long class lol.
Check out the Hawaii Defense Foundation.
HDF on Facebook
Defender of the Accused in Arkansas Courts
Posts are not legal advice & are my own, unless said so.

ACADEMI

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 02:23:31 PM »
This sounds like fun!

DesertRangerTycho

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 09:51:40 PM »
This sounds like fun!

I took this class back in college.  It was fantastic!  Was only 4 days in those days but it was in the dead of winter in upper NH :shake:  Highly worth it if you hunt, hike, or get lost a lot. :wave: