Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43 (Read 3812 times)

aletheuo137

RSN172

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 08:58:10 AM »
Let's Go Brandon!
Happily living in Puna

groveler

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 09:42:24 AM »
It would not be so bad if the cost of our fuel actually was based on the cost of the raw petroleum used to
make it.  It takes several weeks from delivery at the refinery to when you actually purchase the fuel.
this almost daily cost increase seems a little out of whack.
 ???

changemyoil66

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 09:47:12 AM »
It would not be so bad if the cost of our fuel actually was based on the cost of the raw petroleum used to
make it.  It takes several weeks from delivery at the refinery to when you actually purchase the fuel.
this almost daily cost increase seems a little out of whack.
 ???

I think the stations don't want to increase $0.40 1 crack. So instead they do little by little. That is unless they are refilling their tanks every 3 days, which I doubt.  This is what I think is happening. I pass a station daily and see their price increase every 4 days by $0.05 usually.

groveler

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 11:30:02 AM »
I think the stations don't want to increase $0.40 1 crack. So instead they do little by little. That is unless they are refilling their tanks every 3 days, which I doubt.  This is what I think is happening. I pass a station daily and see their price increase every 4 days by $0.05 usually.
"That is unless they are refilling their tanks every 3 days, which I doubt."
Because I live near a small town, you get to know a lot of things.
Our busiest fuel station
gets a shipment basically every day and a half.
I know people that have worked there for twenty years.
Admittedly there is Hysteresis in the system, but it rarely ever retreats
at the rate it increases.  That is the real frustration I'm expressing.
 :popcorn:

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 11:35:35 AM »
"That is unless they are refilling their tanks every 3 days, which I doubt."
Because I live near a small town, you get to know a lot of things.
Our busiest fuel station
gets a shipment basically every day and a half.
I know people that have worked there for twenty years.
Admittedly there is Hysteresis in the system, but it rarely ever retreats
at the rate it increases.  That is the real frustration I'm expressing.
 :popcorn:

Yep.  I remember when gas prices on the mainland recovered to pre-hysterical prices, but Hawaii prices hadn't dropped significantly even after 6 months of the maniland prices dropping.

The HI Legislature and governor were about to appoint a committee to look into the matter, and magically prices started to drop.

Nothing ever came of that "investigation."

Just like new taxes, once the money starts flowing in, it's almost impossible to reverse the flow.  Government isn't that interested in lowering gas prices, because the gov't makes almost as much per gallon in tax revenue as the retailer.  If we really wanted to investigate why gas prices are so high, maybe we should start there?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

hvybarrels

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 11:46:33 AM »
When inflation gets you down, sometimes the only solution is inappropriate laughter.

“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

changemyoil66

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 12:18:36 PM »
The station near my place is $4.81 for 87 octane. Then I saw a 76 on Piikoi and they're at $4.99 for 87 octane. So guess no can grumble.

ren

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 12:21:59 PM »
small price to pay for living in freedom
Deeds Not Words

pacwire

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 01:50:37 PM »
IF we didn't have ALL THE Taxes added onto our GAS, we would be lower.  But then how would we pay or others items we have....?

If kind of ironic.  We want to use less fossil fuel and also charge more to EV owners....hmmm

Welcome to the US...Land of the FREE!  Or kind of...Hmmmm

Back to the real world

 :shaka:

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 02:17:06 PM »
IF we didn't have ALL THE Taxes added onto our GAS, we would be lower.  But then how would we pay or others items we have....?

If kind of ironic.  We want to use less fossil fuel and also charge more to EV owners....hmmm

Welcome to the US...Land of the FREE!  Or kind of...Hmmmm

Back to the real world

 :shaka:

It's one reason we don't have renewable energy everywhere it's viable:  the electric company can't charge for it.  When Hawaii started adopting more PV, HECO was all "We support renewable energy!"  Then, when they were making a lot less every month, they were all "We have to raise rates on everyone because our revenue is dropping!"

Same will hold true of all non-renewable energy sources, including EVs.  There will have to be a way for the government to tax them.  The last 20 years, tax payers have been subsidizing hybrid and electric vehicle owners through tax breaks and credits.  Once enough people are using that technology, the gov't will be required to find another way to tax them.  They can easily tax the manufacturers, which would trickle down to consumers.

Once the gov't becomes addicted to a cash stream, they will do anything to keep that money flowing.  Cutting spending is never an option.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

RSN172

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 08:05:48 PM »

Once the gov't becomes addicted to a cash stream, they will do anything to keep that money flowing.  Cutting spending is never an option.
You mean like the temporary. 5% GET that got extended and finally made permanent?   No "temporary " tax increase ever gets rescinded. 
Happily living in Puna

aletheuo137

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 12:07:13 PM »
Car Owners Across Country Report Theft by Fuel Tank Drilling

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/theft-cars-fuel-tank-gas-prices/2022/03/15/id/1061333/

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

changemyoil66

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 01:01:36 PM »
Car Owners Across Country Report Theft by Fuel Tank Drilling

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/theft-cars-fuel-tank-gas-prices/2022/03/15/id/1061333/

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

At least 1 can plug it compared to spending way more and getting a cat replaced.  Then add in the wiat time for the replacement cat.

drck1000

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2022, 01:21:30 PM »
$4.94 for 87 for at least two stations I regularly fill at.  Climbing multiple times a week.   :grrr:

changemyoil66

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2022, 01:25:28 PM »
$4.94 for 87 for at least two stations I regularly fill at.  Climbing multiple times a week.   :grrr:

Come Shell on Ward, it's still $4.88 for 87, well as of this morning anyways.  But 76 on Sand Island was $5.13 for 87.

drck1000

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2022, 01:48:44 PM »
Come Shell on Ward, it's still $4.88 for 87, well as of this morning anyways.  But 76 on Sand Island was $5.13 for 87.
There's a station on N. School St that typically has lower prices than others.  I think because that station is relatively out of the way.  That said, I am not going to run around, shopping for cheaper gas.  That said, maybe I should.  Can afford more .22 lr ammo.   ;D

aletheuo137

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2022, 01:55:13 PM »
There's a station on N. School St that typically has lower prices than others.  I think because that station is relatively out of the way.  That said, I am not going to run around, shopping for cheaper gas.  That said, maybe I should.  Can afford more .22 lr ammo.   ;D
Bullets, beans, and band aids. Now we can throw gas into the mix!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

changemyoil66

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2022, 02:50:03 PM »
There's a station on N. School St that typically has lower prices than others.  I think because that station is relatively out of the way.  That said, I am not going to run around, shopping for cheaper gas.  That said, maybe I should.  Can afford more .22 lr ammo.   ;D
4.91now.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

aletheuo137

Re: Average US gas price rises 22% in two weeks to record $4.43
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2022, 05:49:03 PM »
 

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk