As a side note, I was involved with organizing my 30th high school class reunion. As a convenience, I created a registration website and accepted mailed checks or either credit card payments or direct account transfers via PayPal.
Sure, there was a cost to taking payments through PayPal -- fixed fee plus an additional percentage of the transaction that came out to less than $5/"ticket" -- so I just included that in the $50/person fee. That paid for the venue, the buffet, and incidentals with a little left for a donation to the school's planetarium fund.
End result: of the over 100 attendees, only two used a check -- one paying at the door. Processing the payments to the vendor was a snap using a free PayPal debit card, and all transactions were 100% recorded to show all monies in and out.
Without making any moral or privacy judgements, electronic financial systems offer convenience and security cash systems can't for both the buyers and sellers.
IMHO. YMMV.
