best chicken katsu- discuss (Read 2984 times)

macsak

RSN172

Re: best chicken katsu- discuss
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 08:03:23 PM »
I think the curry chicken katsu from L & L is hard to beat for the price.
Happily living in Puna

aieahound

Re: best chicken katsu- discuss
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 09:20:12 PM »
Used to be Bea’s Drive-In by UH and Market City. Mean their Katsu was.
But I reminisce.

Some awesome katsu at a bunch of Japanese Restaurants. Can’t even name them all cause Japanese food is my favorite. And real Chinese food.

Is this quickly available katsu or flat out best ?
2 categories ?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 09:32:34 PM by aieahound »

Lihikai

Re: best chicken katsu- discuss
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 09:31:06 PM »
I ate chix katsu at Koromo at Pearlridge recently - very good.  Chix was done perfectly and very juicy.  2 kinds of katsu sauce to choose from on the table.  The place I frequent most for katsu is Kalihi BBQ and Drive Inn on the corner of Gulick and School.  Very good and always consistent.  I've tried other things and they were just OK, but the katsu is a winner.  No seating inside - you order and then wait outside or in your car and they'll bring your food to you when ready. 

QUIETShooter

Re: best chicken katsu- discuss
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 10:02:30 PM »
Sakura Japanese Restaurant in Mililani Market Place makes pretty good chicken katsu.

I like my chicken katsu where the chicken is moist.  Lots of chicken katsu get dry and you gotta drown them in the katsu sauce to make them edible.  Some drive-inns make chicken katsu that tastes like shoe leather fried in panko.  Literally "broke da mout" in a bad way.  Not a good way, lol!

Good chicken katsu can be eaten as is.  Still hot from the pan, inside so moist and juicy, panko crust not burnt, black and charcoal tasting but a succulent light golden brown.

Hoo boy, I like eat some now.  I going Sakura.  Wait.  No can.  10 o'clock.  Dey close.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

powerlessbump

Re: best chicken katsu- discuss
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2022, 11:15:05 PM »
Best was kalakaua drive inn on the corner of kalakaua and makaloa. Place closed down and nothing has come close to it. You just know that guy had years of seasoning on his grill and fryer.