Red Dot Sights on Carry Guns? Pros and Cons of Carry Optics (Read 2128 times)

macsak

Red Dot Sights on Carry Guns? Pros and Cons of Carry Optics
« on: December 13, 2022, 09:36:19 PM »

drck1000

Re: Red Dot Sights on Carry Guns? Pros and Cons of Carry Optics
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 07:17:11 AM »
Mas makes excellent points and balanced feedback.  Those from the "Wilson camp" seem to have similar views on a lot of firearm topics.  However, this one was different than what I expected. 

changemyoil66

Re: Red Dot Sights on Carry Guns? Pros and Cons of Carry Optics
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 12:17:06 PM »
Ayoob is the king of self defense shooting law.  But I do disagree with him for what to do after a shooting.  Maybe another thread might be in order.

The issue is people like to talk (become chatter box). And once you get to talking, especially under stress, someone might say something that screws them.  Ayoob mentions to tell the cops what happened (the why u shot), and point out/tell them any witnesses and evidence.  This was all fine decades ago when the courts/prosecution weren't so eager to prosecute someone due to politics, but IMO in today's environment, asking for a lawyer and staying silent is the way to go.  1 thing I do totally agree on is not pleading the 5th. Because this makes you look guilty.  Read what the 5th states.  Instead, just ask for a lawyer and exercise your right to remain silent.

In my interrogation class I took at UH around 2009, is where I learned interrogation/interview techniques and how people like to talk.  Even in the beginning, they may stay silent, but give it enough time sitting for hours in an interrogation room alone, then people are more likely to open their mouth.  Or talk about some other not related topic like a football team.  I find this true for myself. For those who don't know, I'm a talker.  So I can see what could happen to me once I begin talking about evidence and stuff.  Maybe the way to go for a chatter box is to point at the evidence, like the knife on the ground.  And point at who you think saw.

Again Ayoob is the king of this stuff and I'm a nobody.  But this is just my $0.02 that I feel he is behind on today's hostile 2a environment.  Sometimes it takes a new set of eyes to notice things.

I had an opportunity to take his MAG40 class in 2020, but covid hit and shut the nation down.

changemyoil66

Re: Red Dot Sights on Carry Guns? Pros and Cons of Carry Optics
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2022, 12:36:16 PM »
For the guys who are in their 40s and been shooting for years, whats your take on the Wilson vids when they discuss guns and stuff?

Like is it sort of outdated as an old guy who hasn't really adapted to the current tech/times?  I know Ken often talks about what he does as an older guy and some new stuff, but is he set on his ways either due to age or physical age like his eye sight isn't as good as it was. 

I hope I asked this correctly.  If not, I can clarify more if needed.

Example: Carrying a 1911 type platform say the Wilson 9.  Yeah it should be way more accurate than a G19.  But at the cost of of $4,000 compared to a $600 G19, is it that much better.  Then add in the additional weight and that the police will probably confiscate it as evidence if you do use it.  Then the more maintenance it requires compared to a G19.  So someone like Ken, Bill, or Masaad can afford this. But your average joe won't be able to.  Especially when needing a replacement gun after its taken away and held as evidence.

Again, these guys are the experts and I'm a nobody. So if I'm out of line questioning them, LMK. 

Rocky

Re: Red Dot Sights on Carry Guns? Pros and Cons of Carry Optics
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 12:42:06 PM »
Carrying a 1911 type platform say the Wilson 9.  Yeah it should be way more accurate than a G19.   :wacko:
A poor tradesman always blames his tools.
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

changemyoil66

Re: Red Dot Sights on Carry Guns? Pros and Cons of Carry Optics
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 12:45:58 PM »
A poor tradesman always blames his tools.

Thats another point. Buy a reliable gun (G19) and spend $3K in training to become better.  I think it was Jedi who mentioned that most people cannot out shoot their guns.  As in it's the Indian, not the arrow.

drck1000

Re: Red Dot Sights on Carry Guns? Pros and Cons of Carry Optics
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 12:52:51 PM »
For the guys who are in their 40s and been shooting for years, whats your take on the Wilson vids when they discuss guns and stuff?

Like is it sort of outdated as an old guy who hasn't really adapted to the current tech/times?  I know Ken often talks about what he does as an older guy and some new stuff, but is he set on his ways either due to age or physical age like his eye sight isn't as good as it was. 

I hope I asked this correctly.  If not, I can clarify more if needed.

Example: Carrying a 1911 type platform say the Wilson 9.  Yeah it should be way more accurate than a G19.  But at the cost of of $4,000 compared to a $600 G19, is it that much better.  Then add in the additional weight and that the police will probably confiscate it as evidence if you do use it.  Then the more maintenance it requires compared to a G19.  So someone like Ken, Bill, or Masaad can afford this. But your average joe won't be able to.  Especially when needing a replacement gun after its taken away and held as evidence.

Again, these guys are the experts and I'm a nobody. So if I'm out of line questioning them, LMK.
Sort of apples and steaks.  Technology in RDS is quite different context than 1911 vs Glock/1982 and price difference.  Add into that the potential "gun jail", which I am aware of, but is maybe 1001st of the things on my mind.  Not that I can or can't afford, but more of the mindset of best tool for the job/use. 

drck1000

Re: Red Dot Sights on Carry Guns? Pros and Cons of Carry Optics
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2022, 12:53:19 PM »
A poor tradesman always blames his tools.
Not if they are Snap-On or Staccato XC  ;D

changemyoil66

Re: Red Dot Sights on Carry Guns? Pros and Cons of Carry Optics
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2022, 01:20:07 PM »
Sort of apples and steaks. 

What's wrong with apples and oranges?  or apples and jabone.

zippz

Re: Red Dot Sights on Carry Guns? Pros and Cons of Carry Optics
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 04:00:31 PM »
Red dots are a revolutionary change for handguns.  But still got problems.  Had 5 people out of 15 with red dot issues in my 3 day rangemaster class.  3 dead batteries, 1 came loose, and 1 broke.  And these were from shooters with a lot of experience.

changemyoil66

Re: Red Dot Sights on Carry Guns? Pros and Cons of Carry Optics
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2022, 08:42:02 AM »
Red dots are a revolutionary change for handguns.  But still got problems.  Had 5 people out of 15 with red dot issues in my 3 day rangemaster class.  3 dead batteries, 1 came loose, and 1 broke.  And these were from shooters with a lot of experience.

This is 1 design missing from RDS.  There's no low battery alert. Even on my SIG ROMERO5 on my AR.  So it's not pistol RDS only that don't have a low battery warning.  Would it be hard to program the dot blinking on and off to notify the user.  So that they have to change the battery?

drck1000

Re: Red Dot Sights on Carry Guns? Pros and Cons of Carry Optics
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2022, 09:42:50 AM »
This is 1 design missing from RDS.  There's no low battery alert. Even on my SIG ROMERO5 on my AR.  So it's not pistol RDS only that don't have a low battery warning.  Would it be hard to program the dot blinking on and off to notify the user.  So that they have to change the battery?
Some have low battery alerts.  I would have to read the manuals on my RMRs and EPS, but I replace the batteries once a year and I haven't had them fail on me. 

I was recommended to use Duracell "coin" batteries.  Where there are numerous reports of problems with Energizer "coin" batteries.