new Gen grammar (Read 1486 times)

ren

new Gen grammar
« on: December 25, 2022, 11:54:15 AM »
Too many words people use to say the simplest things. Personally. Actually. Like. Literally,

Why do people say:
"Me, personally" Who else could it be?
"I actually did this..." What if you did not say "actually"? same thing.
"Like, I know..." Mental pause or mental diability?  :crazy:

What else?

Deeds Not Words

RSN172

Re: new Gen grammar
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 12:07:34 PM »
George Carlin had a few words to share on this subject.
Happily living in Puna

Flapp_Jackson

Re: new Gen grammar
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2022, 12:51:15 PM »
The word "issue" get used too much in place of the more appropriate words, like "problem."

People no longer have problems, trouble, illness or mental decline.  They only have "issues."

Some people I know have so many issues, it would be much cheaper to buy a subscription!

Many of the words i hear people say appear as if they are trying to soften the meaning of their message, as if the facts, truth and accuracy make normal vocabulary too harsh to handle.

"He was like beating this guy."  Was it like he was beating him, or WAS he beating him?

Lack of willingness to commit to a thought or idea?  Plausible deniability?  "I said LIKE he was beating him, not WAS beating him."

When you become a master of the language so nobody can ever hold you to what you've said, you can then run for office or become a journalist.   :geekdanc:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

oldfart

Re: new Gen grammar
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2022, 01:07:51 PM »
I notice a lot of weird "news" articles that pop up on my browser.
It's like they were written by grade school dropouts.
Could it be A.I. ?
What, Me Worry?

groveler

Re: new Gen grammar
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2022, 04:05:53 PM »
I notice a lot of weird "news" articles that pop up on my browser.
It's like they were written by grade school dropouts.
Could it be A.I. ?
No it is biological things.
I may be be behind the curve but by definition,  valid algorithms must
always produce the same results for the same input.
AI is the same except the inputs are vastly more variable.
As such the output will be just as variable. looked at as a whole.
But the machine works the same if the input is the same the output
will be the same eg 4+4 will always equal 8.
Humans can make 4+4 equal 10. Octal number system.
or 5+5 = A.
Humans adapt. machines process.
 :geekdanc:

Flapp_Jackson

Re: new Gen grammar
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2022, 04:15:52 PM »
i also notice nobody apologizes anymore.  if they do, they are only sorry they got caught on video, but not for the wrong they did.

i'm tired of the non-apology apologies.  "I apologize if I offended anyone.'    :wtf:   That tells me you aren't sorry at all.  Might as well admit you are only saying what you have to so you can keep your job, avoid arrest, etc.

When was the last time a Liberal ever seriously apologized?  Nope -- that would imply guilt.  Can't admit to doing anything wrong.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

macsak

Re: new Gen grammar
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2022, 04:55:20 PM »
sounds like someone who is banned...

i also notice nobody apologizes anymore.  if they do, they are only sorry they got caught on video, but not for the wrong they did.

i'm tired of the non-apology apologies.  "I apologize if I offended anyone.'    :wtf:   That tells me you aren't sorry at all.  Might as well admit you are only saying what you have to so you can keep your job, avoid arrest, etc.

When was the last time a Liberal ever seriously apologized?  Nope -- that would imply guilt.  Can't admit to doing anything wrong.

dogman

Re: new Gen grammar
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2022, 06:35:09 PM »
I remember seeing on the news a while back that the word "literally" was redifined in the new edition of one of the popular dictionaries because it was being used incorrectly so often, literally.

ren

Re: new Gen grammar
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2022, 08:39:50 PM »
When people say "Honestly" I ask them if they lied to me in previous discussions.
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

Re: new Gen grammar
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2022, 09:39:52 PM »
When people say "Honestly" I ask them if they lied to me in previous discussions.

Millennials adopted the phrase "To be honest" and abbreviated it on social media as tbh.

In Congressional testimonies, i hear the phrase "Let's be honest", "Let me be honest" or "Can I be honest?"  I thought they were under oath and required to be? 
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw