whats going on with Karl Rhoads' district? (Read 1741 times)

ren

whats going on with Karl Rhoads' district?
« on: March 22, 2023, 08:27:31 PM »
Walmart and other businesses are leaving. The City Council rep is so clueless City councilmember Tyler Dos Santos-Tam says he expects the city's budget to rise enough for more of a police presence in the area, and says different businesses will take the place of these currently and soon-to-be-empty spots.
https://www.kitv.com/news/local/downtown-honolulu-stores-continue-to-shut-down-and-residents-are-worried/article_636f4560-c92e-11ed-8890-3fe00b7b4036.html

Some of these downtown dwellers rely on walkable convenience stores, most of which are no longer close by enough.

“With Walmart announcing that it's also closing, it feels like another pillar of the downtown community is collapsing,” said another downtowner, Deborah Ward.” It kind of feels like we're being abandoned here.”

Others are worried about local homeless and crime issues being a deterrent to businesses wanting to stick around. Witty, who owns a UPS store downtown, says this includes his own business.

“I have problems right in front of the store, and my customer count is down,” Witty said. “People are afraid to come into my stores.”
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

Re: whats going on with Karl Rhoads' district?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 06:54:25 AM »
Unfortunately, I see a similar thing happening all over the place.
I went to school in that downtown area 50 years ago, and it's always been a dichotomy.
There are high-rise office buildings with high-powered businesses and yet, just one block away you have the homeless crackheads.
I think that area is starting to get cleaned up, but I still avoid that area as much as possible.
What, Me Worry?

QUIETShooter

Re: whats going on with Karl Rhoads' district?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 07:01:04 AM »
The future of Karl Toad's district:

It's just a hop, skip, and a jump away........

Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

oldfart

Re: whats going on with Karl Rhoads' district?
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 08:38:52 AM »
sad... but funny

when people make bad choices, that's what happens

choose wisely
What, Me Worry?

Rocky

Re: whats going on with Karl Rhoads' district?
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 09:58:05 AM »
So that's where the idea for "The Walking Dead" came from
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

Re: whats going on with Karl Rhoads' district?
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 10:24:35 AM »
How Karl "fivehead" Rhoads keeps getting elected is baffling.  I mean I know likely how it happens, but that there isn't more uproar from that area/district is shocking.  I would think there's a lot of influential companies and groups that are affected. 

Back when I was getting ready to move back home, I interviewed in that area.  One interview ended around 7 pm and I had to walk through Fort St mall to get to the garage where I parked.  Talk about a zombie zone.  And that was back in 2003. 

changemyoil66

Re: whats going on with Karl Rhoads' district?
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 11:45:53 AM »
How Karl "fivehead" Rhoads keeps getting elected is baffling.  I mean I know likely how it happens, but that there isn't more uproar from that area/district is shocking.  I would think there's a lot of influential companies and groups that are affected. 

Back when I was getting ready to move back home, I interviewed in that area.  One interview ended around 7 pm and I had to walk through Fort St mall to get to the garage where I parked.  Talk about a zombie zone.  And that was back in 2003.

1 election we helped his opponent Kevin McDonald sign waive.  This is when Dr. Green passed by me, almost touching shoulders.  I'll bet the Dr. gets people in his building to vote for Rhodes and many more buildings.  I didnt see 1 Rhodes sign in any business window, but saw some McDonald signs.  That year he beat McDonald like 2 to 1.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: whats going on with Karl Rhoads' district?
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 02:55:22 PM »
1 election we helped his opponent Kevin McDonald sign waive.  This is when Dr. Green passed by me, almost touching shoulders.  I'll bet the Dr. gets people in his building to vote for Rhodes and many more buildings.  I didnt see 1 Rhodes sign in any business window, but saw some McDonald signs.  That year he beat McDonald like 2 to 1.

The fact that the votes are already going for a given candidate means they don't need to advertise there, freeing up campaign funds/resources for areas where voters are leaning toward a different candidate.

No sense in wasting money where you're already sure you'll win.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw