Food! whats cooking where to eat? (Read 121792 times)

zippz

Re: Food! whats cooking where to eat?
« Reply #220 on: August 23, 2026, 08:36:26 PM »
I'm trying this, making 7 meals from a $5 costco chicken.  Sandwiches, pasta, soup, etc.  Sounds good.

oldfart

Re: Food! whats cooking where to eat?
« Reply #221 on: August 24, 2026, 12:05:55 PM »
Costco chicken is great. It can feed me and my dogs high quality protein for pennies. Currently,  certain vegetables are in season so I try to take advantage of that and help local farmers.  Dinner tonight is Aloun farms eggplant with pork. Also got a local daikon so I made tsukemono with that.
Buy local.
What, Me Worry?

oldfart

Re: Food! whats cooking where to eat?
« Reply #222 on: August 26, 2026, 12:30:44 AM »
Buy local....help out punaluu bakery rebuild.
https://gofund.me/d2bdf2465
Longs drugs had punaluu bakeshop cookies.
I might go get more and give to my kids and friends.
=====
NĀʻĀLEHU (HawaiiNewsNow) — Known for its pillowy sweetbread, Punaluʻu Bake Shop was the heart of Nāʻālehu, providing jobs for many local residents and supporting community organizations with fundraisers and events over the years.
What, Me Worry?

zippz

Re: Food! whats cooking where to eat?
« Reply #223 on: September 09, 2026, 03:59:15 PM »
Anyone try the 7-11 egg sandwiches?  I heard they're good, but not as good as the Japan ones.  Deliveries to Aiea is 6am, so I may never be able to get one  :D

Direjackalope

Re: Food! whats cooking where to eat?
« Reply #224 on: September 09, 2026, 04:35:27 PM »
I took a gamble on the U.S. Humanitarian Daily Rations. Case of 10 for $45 on Amazon. Each one is a full days food. Bland but palatable. I’ll be stocking them for boat trips since cooking is challenging in any kind of sea state and they’re cheaper than canned goods.

It’d be tough to get fat on these things because they’re just not very interesting, but they are cheap, fast, and filling.

Recommend.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2026, 05:42:22 PM by Direjackalope »

QUIETShooter

Re: Food! whats cooking where to eat?
« Reply #225 on: September 09, 2026, 06:05:09 PM »
I'm trying this, making 7 meals from a $5 costco chicken.  Sandwiches, pasta, soup, etc.  Sounds good.



I do the same thing with this ono chicken from Costco.

Meal#1:  Eat it as is with hot rice.

Meal#2:  Make Chicken Noodle soup with the carcass and leftover meat.

Meal#3:  Set some shredded meat aside and make Shredded Chicken in gravy.

Usually by then nomo nothing to make already.  All gone. ;D
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

zippz

Re: Food! whats cooking where to eat?
« Reply #226 on: September 09, 2026, 06:17:18 PM »
I took a gamble on the U.S. Humanitarian Daily Rations. Case of 10 for $45 on Amazon. Each one is a full days food. Bland but palatable. I’ll be stocking them for boat trips since cooking is challenging in any kind of sea state and they’re cheaper than canned goods.

It’d be tough to get fat on these things because they’re just not very interesting, but they are cheap, fast, and filling.

Recommend.

Can get a case of 12 MRE"s locally on Facebook marketplace for $50.  I got a couple cheap cases of Humanitarian rations after covid.  There was one that was okay but the rest sucked to me.  I'm just not a lentils and beans guy.  Gave the humanitarian rations away before they expired.

Direjackalope

Re: Food! whats cooking where to eat?
« Reply #227 on: September 09, 2026, 06:54:39 PM »
Can get a case of 12 MRE"s locally on Facebook marketplace for $50.  I got a couple cheap cases of Humanitarian rations after covid.  There was one that was okay but the rest sucked to me.  I'm just not a lentils and beans guy.  Gave the humanitarian rations away before they expired.

I’ll be the first to admit that I have the refined palette of a raccoon. I added some msg, pepper, and bacon crumbles to the entrees to liven them up with passable results.

QUIETShooter

Re: Food! whats cooking where to eat?
« Reply #228 on: September 10, 2026, 10:13:17 AM »
Lentils and beans. 

Great source of protein but unfortunately not great in the taste factor.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

oldfart

Re: Food! whats cooking where to eat?
« Reply #229 on: September 10, 2026, 06:38:46 PM »
Fyi
Humanitarian daily ration meals are vegetarian.
I prefer to stash away regular military MRE.
There might be some for sale at the gun show in a few weeks.
What, Me Worry?

oldfart

Re: Food! whats cooking where to eat?
« Reply #230 on: October 01, 2026, 02:04:33 AM »
Craving some Kal bi.
Bought this bbq mix plate from Loco moco/kunia for $20.
Taste was ok, lots of food, but the meat was ...chewy. :rofl: :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

Heavies

Re: Food! whats cooking where to eat?
« Reply #231 on: October 01, 2026, 06:50:29 AM »
Yakiniku Like on the corner of Keeaumoku and Young.  They have a monthly special $9.95.  Good deal good food. 

Rocky

Re: Food! whats cooking where to eat?
« Reply #232 on: October 01, 2026, 08:15:40 AM »
Craving some Kal bi.
Bought this bbq mix plate from Loco moco/kunia for $20.
Taste was ok, lots of food, but the meat was ...chewy. :rofl: :rofl:
I got a hard time paying $20 for a meal.
Not like I can't afford it, I just can't justify paying more than if I made it myself, especially when mine would be better !
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

QUIETShooter

Re: Food! whats cooking where to eat?
« Reply #233 on: October 01, 2026, 08:25:53 AM »
Craving some Kal bi.
Bought this bbq mix plate from Loco moco/kunia for $20.
Taste was ok, lots of food, but the meat was ...chewy. :rofl: :rofl:

Yakiniku Like on the corner of Keeaumoku and Young.  They have a monthly special $9.95.  Good deal good food. 

We like to eat Korean BBQ.  There are two places in Mililani Town Center we like to go to.  One is more traditional Korean BBQ and the other is a typical plate lunch Korean BBQ place.

Both make ono food.  But today's economic reality puts their plates at the mid to high twenties for food.  One of them offers mini plates that brings it down to a bit under $20.

The mini plates still has a lot of food.  They let you substitute your rice for another choice of ban chan side dishes.

I do this to get another added dish of ban chan and then I cook rice at home and broke da mout.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

astroboy

Re: Food! whats cooking where to eat?
« Reply #234 on: Today at 08:28:01 AM »
Times Market had fresh opah filets on sale. The price went up to $14.99 per lb.
I fry it up in avocado oil with ginger and green onions, plated then covered with
Chinese style shoyu sauce with sugar, and sesame oil.
Naturally it is great with rice.