The 3 Best Knife Steels According To Science! (Read 2128 times)

macsak

The 3 Best Knife Steels According To Science!
« on: August 17, 2023, 01:01:25 PM »

eyeeatingfish

Re: The 3 Best Knife Steels According To Science!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 11:19:32 PM »
I have been thinking about trying AEB-L for knives from now on. I usually use 440C.

stangzilla

Re: The 3 Best Knife Steels According To Science!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 02:32:23 PM »
I don't have any Magnacut but would like to try it
I like Sandvik 14C28N, CPM154, S30v, S35vn, M390, CPM20cv, 154cm
I like steel with good corrosion resistance, ease of sharpening. edge retention and toughness are not my top priority bc my needs are more light use or medium.  I like being able to sharpen fairly easily.
although I have S90v and M390 and 20cv which are a bit challenging to sharpen, just takes longer but no need to sharpen as often.  there's always a give and take

drck1000

Re: The 3 Best Knife Steels According To Science!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2023, 02:35:45 PM »
I don't have any Magnacut but would like to try it
I like Sandvik 14C28N, CPM154, S30v, S35vn, M390, CPM20cv, 154cm
I like steel with good corrosion resistance, ease of sharpening. edge retention and toughness are not my top priority bc my needs are more light use or medium.  I like being able to sharpen fairly easily.
although I have S90v and M390 and 20cv which are a bit challenging to sharpen, just takes longer but no need to sharpen as often.  there's always a give and take
Those highlighted about are my faves.  M390 is my overall favorite, and will buy when I can find a knife I like (flipper design) and decent price. 

Personally, the 20CV is most pain to sharpen.  With the Wicked Edge system, I've found M390 to be easy to sharpen and maintain. Takes more time than softer steels, but edge lasts quite long. 

macsak

Re: The 3 Best Knife Steels According To Science!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 04:32:36 PM »
i own no knife sharpeners...

Those highlighted about are my faves.  M390 is my overall favorite, and will buy when I can find a knife I like (flipper design) and decent price. 

Personally, the 20CV is most pain to sharpen.  With the Wicked Edge system, I've found M390 to be easy to sharpen and maintain. Takes more time than softer steels, but edge lasts quite long.