AK light (Read 2614 times)

hvybarrels

AK light
« on: November 29, 2023, 08:54:58 PM »
The time has come. I've been trying to keep the doo-dads on my Russki to a minimum but it looks like we are heading for some interesting times and I don't want to accidentally shoot someone who's not actively trying to kill me. 
On the front is a regular sized magpul MOE hand guard with no cut out, and I can move the sling loop around if necessary. I also have an optic sitting on top using the side rail mount.
Barrel mounts are getting cheaper these days which might be the way to go since I'm trying to go for the sleekest package possible

Also what is popular for lights these days? It would be nice to get something reasonably rugged but not too expensive.

Just wondering if someone out there has experience besides the people on Youtube collecting sponsorships and selling their wares.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 09:57:23 PM by hvybarrels »
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

ren

Re: AK light
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 10:15:25 PM »
I see a lot of Surefire Scouts with a lot of output. I still use M951s with Malkoff LED heads!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 03:53:41 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

macsak

Re: AK light
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 06:25:59 AM »
heads!

I see a lot of Surefire Scouts with a lot of output. I still use M051s with Malkoff LED heads!

changemyoil66

Re: AK light
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 10:04:59 AM »
CHeck out Bota's post about lights.

I got the Cloud Defense OWL becuase I'm not a fan of wires. Plus it's easier to install as no need to worry about securing the wire and a pressure plate that's separate from the light. But the OWL is heavy compared to other Surefire WML's. 

To each their own IMO on the matter. 

hvybarrels

Re: AK light
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 12:51:34 PM »
I'm seriously considering the Streamlight and feel like a filthy traitor for considering China wares but the USB charging port and all the goodies included is difficult to beat in terms of value for the $$$

Don't like the idea of proprietary batteries though.
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

changemyoil66

Re: AK light
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 04:10:51 PM »
I'm seriously considering the Streamlight and feel like a filthy traitor for considering China wares but the USB charging port and all the goodies included is difficult to beat in terms of value for the $$$

Don't like the idea of proprietary batteries though.

"Get over it"-Jedi

aaronc5362

Re: AK light
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 02:34:38 PM »
My 2 cents. How much output ya looking for?

I got SF mini scout. 500 lumens and its pretty darn bright. I got moree powerful SF handheld tho.

In my house... (Yes I larp that shit to see what im dealing with) it splashes back alot .. Mind you my walls are painted white. Yours may differ.

I bought the 300 lumen tlr1s for my pistols cause the 1k lumen and 800 lumens are too much. For inside the house.

If ya have the magpul Moe handguard. Get a 1 inch ring with mlok. (So many manufacturers make it) and put a 600 lumen surefire g2. Just make sure its the single output version with aluminum body. Dual outputs tend to flicker or so ove read. I have 1 on my mossy 500 and it holds up. Move your sling back towards the butt of receiver and use the tailcap that comes with it. Or that omni tailcap valhalla came out with. Genius idea. Lol

But if you want a tape switch type of light.. Protac 1 or 2 will be better. Cheaper.

Id think twice bout putting a barrel mounted light. Heat and vibration will beat the shit out of the light. Even though its not a FF handguard and heat transfers to it (I had an ak47 before too) it'll be more ergonomic without a tape switch and heat has to transfer a couple more times before getting to the light body itself.

hvybarrels

Re: AK light
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2023, 03:53:07 PM »
That valhalla tail cap actually looks super interesting. Very simple and elegant solution.
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

drck1000

Re: AK light
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2023, 07:18:46 AM »
To build on some feedback about, how much you looking to spend?  And for output, are you looking for flood or throw?

I got some high candela/throw lights in the last year or so.  Compared them with high lumen/flood lights and there's a distinct difference.  Some YT videos capture much of the difference, but the human eye captures/receives was more.  For my uses, my older high lumen lights are just fine.  If I were outdoors more, or had a larger property, a high candela light might be preferred. 

I currently have Surefire, Cloud Defensive and Arisaka lights.  I have Streamlight hand helds, but would be ok with them on a gun.