Although the NRA does spend some money on stuff like education, legislation, buildings/properties, etc...Like many org's I also assume they over spend on other areas like parties, gifts, payroll, etc...
IIRC if we compare this to the Clinton Foundation, only about 10% of donations went toward causes. Most went on overhead. Maxine Waters Foundation, 75% went to payroll, which her sister made $100K a year as the Marketing Director, even though no one has ever seen her. Don't even get me started on BLM donations.
There is a website that you can look at that keeps track of stuff like this for various non-profits. Last I checked many years ago, Aloha United Way also had high overhead cost. Which is why I didn't donate to them. Some years ago, Wounded Warrior Project got bad press for spending plenty on open bars at events and stuff.
For org's, certain limits to spend money on stuff is fine, but where does 1 draw the line. WWP spent $40K on an open bar for 1 event. Now did this help with more donations or could this have been spent better on wounded warriors. Or was this spent on hosting the warriors? I have a friend who gets invited to stuff for them. On-line, many write how WWP doesn't help them. So I asked my friend about it. He said "you're either in the hale or not". And I understand. Bascially, non-profits cannot help everyone that ask them for help.