Big island questions (Read 845 times)

birdmove

Big island questions
« on: January 06, 2024, 02:52:18 PM »
        I live in Keaau on the big island. Shooters here have to go to an area near mile marker 16 out of Hilo, to target shoot. Used to be, if you went, you had to have a current hunting license, etc,etc. I'm a 70 year old gun owner who has intention of hunting. I just want to be able to take my firearms there to target shoot, try different handloads, etc. Recenly, I had beern told by employees at two different gun stores, that they had dropped the requirement that you had to have a hunting license. Dammed if I can find this anywhere online. Can other big island shooters verify about this rule change? After 13 years, I have finally gone there and shot some targets. Also  took my daughter to try out her new shotgun, to see how it patterns. I will be needing to take her try shooting clays at the place by the Hilo dump. Anyone know the schedule for shooting there? She has a hunting license and intends to go bird hunting when she is ready. Should I assume you have to hand throw the clays, or is there a machine?
    Thanks for any comments.