We've been dry firing for over a year now.
What I've learned during covid is that I can go 6 months or so without shooting and seeing any noticable loss in ability. This was because the bays were closed. My level of ability I would say is just above average, but not expert or even close to expert. Taking skill builders over the years with HDF has taught me good fundamentals as well as being accountable to what my own expectations are. Like they stress accuracy, which in turn gave me a higher standard to practice more. Then later when I began shooting with HRA, as I didn't know about them when I first began shooting, these taught skills transfered over.
So with that being said, the range closed in Sept 2022 and when I had to zero our RDS in Vegas that December (I think it was December), once zero'd, my grouping was between nickle and dime at 10 yards with slow fire. Nickle for the Shield Plus and dime for Mrs. CMO's P365X.
Then add in the qual for the HI CCW test, I passed with 100% on a big target. But I was the only student to pass with 100%.
The above is just to give you an idea of what not shooting for a while has done to my ability. But now it's been 13 months since I last shot, so this will be a very big test.
The point is, I think even though shooting is a perishable skill, if you're "guud enuff", you won't be that bad, like a noob who never shot before. Which is why I stress to noobs to train while you can, don't push it off till later. I got a friend who's like this. He didn't have the money, so I told him I'd pay for a class and ammo. He said OK, but overslept. THen the range was shut down. So now he does airsoft and hasn't fired his gun in a class. But he did pass the HI CCW qual, IDK what his score was.