Total Solar Eclipse -- Monday, 8 April 2024 (Read 2079 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Total Solar Eclipse -- Monday, 8 April 2024
« on: April 06, 2024, 05:24:12 PM »
Looks like you'll have to get up just after sunrise to see the eclipse.   Seems a bit anticlimactic with it so low on the horizon.

Of course, parts of the mainland will get a spectacular view while Hawaii only gets a 17.71% partial eclipse.

:geekdanc:

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

oldfart

Re: Total Solar Eclipse -- Monday, 8 April 2024
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 11:06:55 PM »
Not really worth the effort :sleeping: :sleeping:
What, Me Worry?

QUIETShooter

Re: Total Solar Eclipse -- Monday, 8 April 2024
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 11:29:12 AM »
Not really worth the effort :sleeping: :sleeping:

I've never seen one.  I wouldn't mind witnessing one but it's not really on my bucket list.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Total Solar Eclipse -- Monday, 8 April 2024
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 12:01:36 PM »
I've never seen one.  I wouldn't mind witnessing one but it's not really on my bucket list.

I've witnessed a few in NC.  Our science class would go outside and do the 2 pieces of cardboard thing -- pinhole in one and colored background on the other.  Supposedly the bright circle viewed on the white or black splotch being "projected" through the pinhole was an image of the Sun. I always thought it was just light being turned into a circle.  I never really saw the actual shadow across the Sun using that method.

This article has several ways of safely viewing an eclipse.  Most of them involve casting an image of the eclipse onto a "screen", similar to the method I described.  They also link to solar eclipse viewing glasses.

Not too sure I'm keen on risking my eyesight by using a ~$1 pair of "glasses" made of paper/cardboard/plastic and manufactured in China to stare directly into the Sun -- eclipse or not.

 :shake:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

ren

Re: Total Solar Eclipse -- Monday, 8 April 2024
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 03:09:12 PM »
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Total Solar Eclipse -- Monday, 8 April 2024
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 06:59:05 PM »
 O0 :geekdanc:

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Total Solar Eclipse -- Monday, 8 April 2024
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 10:10:06 PM »
Proof the cast of The View are complete morons. 

Whoopi even tried to reel Sunny in, but she failed to understand/explain there are 2 cicadas -- those that emerge from hibernation every 17 years, and those that emerge every 13 years.  This happens to be one of the rare years they both emerge from hibernation in the same season.  There could be billions, if not trillions, of cicadas out and about this year.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/the-view-co-host-embarrassingly-claims-the-solar-eclipse-is-a-sign-of-climate-change/vi-BB1lio4p
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 10:15:06 AM by Flapp_Jackson »
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

QUIETShooter

Re: Total Solar Eclipse -- Monday, 8 April 2024
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2024, 07:44:55 AM »
I haven't seen a solar eclipse but thanks to the internet I see, hear, and discover more morons everyday that might even give the cicadas a run for the money. :rofl:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

changemyoil66

Re: Total Solar Eclipse -- Monday, 8 April 2024
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2024, 01:07:18 PM »


I like the Dan Band's version better.

Flapp_Jackson

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw