The process you are trying to regurgitate is for transferring classified material.
When classified is couriered outside of its regular storage facility, it must be accompanied by a "sender's" signature showing it's being transferred. the courier must sign for custody when they get it. When handed to the recipient, that person must also sign the form, keep a copy, and give the courier the original.
I was a courier for classified whenever i flew to Saudi Arabia. I signed for it at the tarmac where the C-141 sat waiting for cargo and passengers. I'd remain on the aircraft as the rest of the passengers arrived. At that stage, there were two signatures on the form -- the originator's and mine.
When I arrived at the Riyadh airport, a member of my unit already in country would meet me at the aircraft and sign for the material. At that point, it was no longer my responsibility.
Had I been diverted to a different location due to weather or equipment problems, I would have checked in the material with the base security office, had them sign it in, then I would sign it out before departure.
This process is only to show who had custody when. It has absolutely nothing to do with the validity of classified markings or it being downgraded.
if you are downgrading a piece of classified material, there's no hand receipt required. It's still in the same place.
However, if you place it in a burn bag, that bag will be signed for by the classified destruct detail to show you no longer are in custody.
Stop trying to assign reasons for processes you have no idea how they work or why they exist.
Every branch of the military and every agency that handles classified has their own set of forms for transfer, loss and destruction of classified information/material. if there was one version of the forms we all used, I could show you the actual forms. Instead, just use Google as you normally would. Maybe seeing the forms will explain why what you think happens is not what really happens.
You described a chain of custody form for the classified information, this all makes sense, I understand this type of form.
So if you had delivered a document to the president, then there would be a record that the document was released to the president and that would cover you for why the document was not returned to where you removed it from, correct? Does the president then just put it in a drawer, burn it, take it home, do whatever he wants with no sort of documentation? Does this high level of detail in the chain of custody taken for classified information go out the window when a president declassifies the material?
When it comes to classified information becoming declassified and then becoming accessible to the public, the keeper of the records must have some way of being notified that the document had been declassified and could then be made public. Did Trump declassify the documents and no one bothered to make appropriate notifications?
The only thing I am trying to do is to understand the process so as to be better able to gauge the validity of Trump's claims that he declassified them.