Olympics 2024 Paris (Read 6982 times)

stangzilla

Olympics 2024 Paris
« on: July 16, 2024, 11:59:14 AM »
Let's talk some Olympics
opening ceremony is 7/26
some of my favorite events are shooting of course, weight lifting, basketball, boxing, judo, wrestling, but what I'm really looking forward to this Olympics is breakdancing!  :geekdanc:

https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024/sports


Flapp_Jackson

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 12:09:24 PM »
I haven't cared about the Olympics since the Soviet Union collapsed.

And with all these spoiled, dimwitted US Olympic Team members making public spectacles of themselves with political statements or protests, I've pretty much written the games off.

If they don't like their country, they should decline the invitation to represent us.  I can't think of anything more repulsive than making money and garnering fame while badmouthing the people who gave you that opportunity.

if they really felt the way they appear, they would have quit the team and not availed themselves of the chance to compete.  There are plenty of media out there to give them a platform from which  to speak.

Let someone else go to the games and come home with medals.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

changemyoil66

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2024, 12:19:43 PM »
I wanna see Suni Lee place 2nd to Simone again. She only won the all around in Japan cause Simone withdrew.  She's placed 2nd to her in all competitions that they competed against each other in, EVER.

But good for the US, that Suni was there.  That shows that even our 2nd best is better than everyone else.  Simone's husband who's a NFL player was given permission to miss practices so he can attend the games.

The Japan Olympics, Makalya Skinner (gymnast) had her youtube channel and did a behind the scenes.  Interesting to see the cafeteria with all the diff ethnic foods, she mentioned about the dorms on how certain countries couldn't be assigned near each other.  She showed what they got in their Ralph Lauren swag bag.

She was an alternate and called upon cause they needed someone on the parallel bars. She got silver.

China bragging on who they're brining for their mens gymnast team. Bragging how many medals in total they all got.  Simone has more than their entire team combined. 

I'm looking forward to speed walking, womens gymnastics, weightlifting, wrestling, all track events.

stangzilla

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2024, 01:01:17 PM »
I haven't cared about the Olympics since the Soviet Union collapsed.

And with all these spoiled, dimwitted US Olympic Team members making public spectacles of themselves with political statements or protests, I've pretty much written the games off.

If they don't like their country, they should decline the invitation to represent us.  I can't think of anything more repulsive than making money and garnering fame while badmouthing the people who gave you that opportunity.

if they really felt the way they appear, they would have quit the team and not availed themselves of the chance to compete.  There are plenty of media out there to give them a platform from which  to speak.

Let someone else go to the games and come home with medals.

those are very good points. I agree with everything you said, not protesting and representing our country properly
but I still enjoy watching it. if there are protests I just won't watch that part

QUIETShooter

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2024, 01:26:33 PM »
I stopped watching, for all the reasons Flapp mentioned.

There was a time when the athletes of all countries competed with pride for their countries.  Now it seems the only pride they have is somewhat self-centered.

I might still watch here and there.  There are some sports that haven't been tainted by spoiled athletes.

The most recent inspirational memory of the games was the opening ceremony when Muhammed Ali, wracked and shaking from his dreaded disease, lit the Olympic Torch.  Chicken Skin and unforgettable.



Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

drck1000

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2024, 01:33:38 PM »
I usually try to watch judo and wrestling, but coverage is usually spotty or even non-existant.  Those athletes tend to be more on the side of "doing it for the love", vice the showboating.  I used to know some personally, but nowadays it's more the athletes that I came across coverage in the US.  That said, both sports have been watered down greatly for "entertainment value", which does lessen my interest. 

Last Olympic cycle, I found myself watching the Paralympics more and more.  I find it amazing that those athletes "find a way" to compete despite their condition.  I also (almost ashamed to say it) found goalball particularly entertaining to watch. 

zippz

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2024, 01:58:20 PM »
Odd that one event, surfing, will be held on the other side of the world from France.

I've always wanted to attend one.  I might to go to Italy for 2026 or LA in 2028.

hvybarrels

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2024, 02:51:31 PM »
It was cool to see Carissa Moore win the first gold in surfing. I still remember her as a squeaky-voiced kid with her dad pushing her into waves out at Kaikos.
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

QUIETShooter

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2024, 03:25:22 PM »
If I do watch it would probably be the sports that were traditionally of the Olympics of old.

Track.  Especially the endurance sports like the marathon, the 10K, etc.  I don't really care much for the prima donna 100 yd. dash type athletes.

Team Relays are fun to watch.

And I like to watch the Decathlon.  Now that is what I call an Olympic Sport.  An American that likes to wear dresses and make-up won that a while ago.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

changemyoil66

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2024, 03:25:30 PM »
I forgot, speed walking. That's a fun one to watch.

macsak

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2024, 03:37:10 PM »
focus
"I'm looking forward to speed walking, womens gymnastics, weightlifting, wrestling, all track events."

I forgot, speed walking. That's a fun one to watch.

changemyoil66

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2024, 05:33:57 PM »
focus
"I'm looking forward to speed walking, womens gymnastics, weightlifting, wrestling, all track events."

No focus.

ren

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2024, 06:33:04 PM »


RIP: Kuriaki
Interesting fact: Brenda K. Starr was in Beat Street

I'm surprised they still have genders in this new gen style of  metro breaking
Growing up in the 80s we would battle at Aala Park and Fort St. sometimes at the park across the Kalihi YMCA. Now its all curated with commercial sponsors etc.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 08:36:45 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

RSN172

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2024, 05:06:51 AM »
I like to watch Katie Ledecky just plain blow all the other world class swimmers out of the water.q
Happily living in Puna

changemyoil66

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2024, 09:06:03 AM »
RIP: Kuriaki
Interesting fact: Brenda K. Starr was in Beat Street

I'm surprised they still have genders in this new gen style of  metro breaking
Growing up in the 80s we would battle at Aala Park and Fort St. sometimes at the park across the Kalihi YMCA. Now its all curated with commercial sponsors etc.



A friend of mine was a bboy. His thing was the head spinning. He now has a weird bald spot on the top of his head and it's hard like rock.  Usually the top of the head is soft.

macsak

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2024, 09:10:20 AM »
heads

A friend of mine was a bboy. His thing was the head spinning. He now has a weird bald spot on the top of his head and it's hard like rock.  Usually the top of the head is soft.

stangzilla

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2024, 10:11:46 AM »

stangzilla

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2024, 10:33:47 AM »

ren

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2024, 06:32:53 PM »
A friend of mine was a bboy. His thing was the head spinning. He now has a weird bald spot on the top of his head and it's hard like rock.  Usually the top of the head is soft.

I knew a bboy back in the day that had the same thing. He was a master at headspins. He must be using Propecia by now.
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

Re: Olympics 2024 Paris
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2024, 08:11:42 AM »
I knew a bboy back in the day that had the same thing. He was a master at headspins. He must be using Propecia by now.

Akuma?