Porch Pirates? ... Now Just Pirates!! (Read 2917 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Porch Pirates? ... Now Just Pirates!!
« on: September 23, 2024, 03:21:05 PM »
Saw this video of a FedEx driver attempting a package delivery.  He approached the home, knocked on the door, and rang the doorbell/camera.

Before he could turn around, someone approached him from behind claiming to be the addressee and tried to take the package from him.

The delivery driver refused to hand the package over and started back to his truck when the pirate's partner knocked the package from his hands.  The driver continued fighting over control of the package.  The addressee finally opened the front door, and the pirates ran off.  The driver was then able to deliver the package to the rightful owner.

I guess when porch pirates get away with their thefts often enough, this is the logical next evolution:  get the package before the owner even has a chance to open the door!

One plus for this tactic is I'm sure it cuts down the number of bait packages made to fool thieves, some of which have some pretty nasty countermeasures inside.

It also snags the package whether or not anyone is home to bring it inside.

Third, if there are many porch pirates in the area, you get the goods before someone else beats you to it.

Logical, but also totally insane.  Who thinks this is a good way to commit theft?  They just upped the charge from petty larceny (assuming the contents aren't valued above petty larceny limits) to strong arm robbery which might potentially escalate to assault and battery.

https://youtube.com/shorts/VbKFDPz45_4

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

oldfart

Re: Porch Pirates? ... Now Just Pirates!!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2024, 05:33:21 PM »
A story sort of related....

I go to mini-mart to refill drinking water bottles.
When I got there, the guy who services the machine was waiting around for people to leave before he opened it up to take the money out.
He looked nervous.
So I had a chat with him and found out that he was kind of scared of the characters that hang out in the area.
I felt sorry for him and gave him a little can of pepper spray that I usually carry.

If I were a delivery driver, I would carry a spray....or better
What, Me Worry?

ren

Re: Porch Pirates? ... Now Just Pirates!!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2024, 07:18:48 PM »
A story sort of related....

I go to mini-mart to refill drinking water bottles.
When I got there, the guy who services the machine was waiting around for people to leave before he opened it up to take the money out.
He looked nervous.
So I had a chat with him and found out that he was kind of scared of the characters that hang out in the area.
I felt sorry for him and gave him a little can of pepper spray that I usually carry.

If I were a delivery driver, I would carry a spray....or better

Was that at Times? I eat their plate lunches there and watch people walk out with a full cooked chicken - the ones similar to Costco. The people that do it don't look like they were starving or broke. Everyday people. That's the new fear. You never know who is desperate or willing to commit the crime.
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

Re: Porch Pirates? ... Now Just Pirates!!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2024, 02:14:37 AM »
Was that at Times? I eat their plate lunches there and watch people walk out with a full cooked chicken - the ones similar to Costco. The people that do it don't look like they were starving or broke. Everyday people. That's the new fear. You never know who is desperate or willing to commit the crime.
....
The mini by times waipahu with gas pumps.
Somebody drove their car through the front window a few weeks ago.
My homeless friends hang out there.
 :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

hvybarrels

Re: Porch Pirates? ... Now Just Pirates!!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2024, 11:47:58 AM »
If it's already this bad, imagine the levels of crazy when the entire fake economy gets wiped out.
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

QUIETShooter

Re: Porch Pirates? ... Now Just Pirates!!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2024, 12:12:07 PM »
With food, gas, housing, and utility bills skyrocketing and with the new "policies" kamala wants to implement (that is, if she doesn't flip-flop.  Again.  ::)) in place if she gets elected, the new criminal element will be the everyday people.

Pair that with defunding the police, and the leniency towards criminals, the willingness to break laws will increase.

The middle class will be destroyed.  Abused.  Violated. 

We will be a country of haves, and the have-nots.

One side will be the financial elite like the pelosi's, bidens, oprahs, taylor swifts, de-niro's and all the multi-millionaire professional sports players and other celebrity types.

The other side will be the rest of us, along with the poor sheeple the democrat elite above coerced into voting for kamala the princess.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

changemyoil66

Re: Porch Pirates? ... Now Just Pirates!!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2024, 12:54:09 PM »
It's common to see in the mainland either the truck itself broken into once the driver leave to drop off a package, esp in a commercial building district.  Or hit the trains carrying the boxes has been common for years now.  All you see is a open car door (train car) and empty boxes of trash.