Any experience with a distributor convinced they can't send 11rd+ rifle mags? (Read 2175 times)

Begle1

I'm looking to buy an AUG in 300 Blackout. Manufacter part number AUGM2BLKEXT300

Most websites selling it for a less-than-exorbitant cost have a copy-and-pasted disclaimer about not shipping to Hawaii. Obviously those websites are all feeding off the same distributor. I called one of the sellers, they said "distributer said no because of 30rd mag". I'm not sure what distributer it is that has made that determination, but it's frustrating.

Anybody have any success convincing a distributer that 11+ round magazines aren't really illegal in Hawaii?

stangzilla

simplest way is to go to another website
if that's their rule, then hard to change their mind

Begle1

Next question:

I asked another vendor why they wouldn't ship to Hawaii and they sent me the below link.

https://tax.hawaii.gov/pte/

Can anybody explain what this means?

changemyoil66

Buy local. Support DCT as the owner is a plaintiff on lawsuits. Even if it cost more than online.

Begle1

Buy local. Support DCT as the owner is a plaintiff on lawsuits. Even if it cost more than online.

I'm on Maui. My closest FFL I prefer using couldn't get the particular model through his suppliers and told me to find it online. The biggest FFL quoted me a number around $1000 higher than market rate, for what probably wasn't what I actually wanted anyways.

It seems like the distributer with the best price on this gun has decided it is not to be shipped to Hawaii. I went through about a dozen websites that were obviously all made by the distributer and bundled to brick-and-mortar FFL's as an online-storefront type of thing. Going through the list, it was like $1700- no shipping. $1720- no shipping. $1750- no shipping. $1780- no shipping. $1820- no shipping. Then there was the vendor that had it for a good deal but quoted PTE regs as a reason for not selling it to me.

By the time I found a vendor that'd take the order I was up to $1860. I'll see if it actually goes through. I've probably spent 8 hours on this so far. And it sure would be nice if Steyr packaged the AUG with the barrel I actually wanted to begin with; as soon as I get this gun I'm going to get to spend another $700 on the barrel for it.  :shake:

zippz

If you're going on vacation to a free state that allows non-resident sales of long guns, you could order it through a store there and pick it up, and fly it back home.

Distributors are in the business of making money and probably not 2A people.  They're not going to spend the time to research a legal opinion on it or accept the risk for a small state like Hawaii.

zippz

Or if you know someone on the mainland, they could buy it then ship it to a FFL in Hawaii and you pick it up there.  It's not a straw sale since it went through an FFL.

Begle1

Or if you know someone on the mainland, they could buy it then ship it to a FFL in Hawaii and you pick it up there.  It's not a straw sale since it went through an FFL.

It'd take an extra transfer fee on top of shipping but that seems a tempting option and would probably be worth it a lot of the time.