Fatal Attraction! (In before all the meme makers steal my line!) (Read 2405 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Ia this a Final Destination scene, or just another Darwin Award recipient?

A 61 year-old man in New York lost his life when he walked into an MRI scanning room wearing a 20lb chain around his neck.

His wife was having an MRI on her knee, but said she needed help getting in or out of her wheelchair.  She called for her husband to help her, and that was his last mistake.  Staff are saying he was not authorized to enter the room while the machine was on.

The chain is something his wife described as a heavy 20lb. metal chain and lock he wears for weight lifting.

He was rushed from the MRI center to the hospital where he was pronounced dead the next day.

I will not be surprised when this scenario shows up in a new installment of Final Destination.  It's absolutely weird enough, especially since it's true.

Man dies after being pulled into an MRI
by a metal chain he wore, police say

Quote
A man died last week after being pulled into an MRI machine by a
“large metallic chain” police said he was wearing around his neck –
highlighting the importance of checking for any metallic objects
before going near the powerful magnets used in the medical
imaging machines.

The 61-year-old died Thursday, a day after Nassau County police
said he was pulled into the MRI machine at Nassau Open MRI in
Westbury, New York, on Long Island. The victim was wearing “a
large metallic chain around his neck causing him to be drawn into
the machine,” prompting an unspecified “medical episode,” police
said in a news release.

The man’s entry to the room “while the scan was in progress” was
not authorized, police said.

He was taken to a hospital in critical condition before he was declared
dead the following day. The investigation is ongoing, police said.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

hvybarrels

Re: Fatal Attraction! (In before all the meme makers steal my line!)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2025, 10:46:35 PM »
If you think that's bad...


“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

QUIETShooter

Re: Fatal Attraction! (In before all the meme makers steal my line!)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2025, 07:38:45 AM »
If you think that's bad...




Wow.  A case of anal attraction.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Fatal Attraction! (In before all the meme makers steal my line!)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2025, 12:22:02 PM »
Wow.  A case of anal attraction.

Richard Gere was unavailable for comment.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Fatal Attraction! (In before all the meme makers steal my line!)
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2025, 10:40:38 AM »
The security video was released of the MRI incident.  The MRI technician can be seen opening the door to the area they say the husband was not allowed to be in.  The tech then called for the husband to come in and help his wife.  So, any excuses about the husband being where he shouldn't be are negated by the technician's actions.

Additionally, there is an Emergency Shut-Off button on the machine which the technician didn't press.  Pressing it would have in all likelihood saved the man's life.  Instead, the daughter says it took AN HOUR to free him from the machine.   :wtf:

I foresee a sizable settlement check in the widow's future.

https://youtube.com/shorts/0MWscnlw_Wo

According to The Sun, the daughter started a GoFundMe to pay for her father's funeral.  In that post, she added details of the accident:
Quote
In a GoFundMe set up for burial costs, Keith's daughter Samantha Bodden
revealed new details about her dad's horrific accident, which took place when
his wife was at Nassau Open MRI in Westbury for a scan of her knee.

She wrote: "While my mother was laying on the table, the technician left the
room to get her husband to help her off the table.

"He forgot to inform him to take the chain he was wearing from around his neck
off when the magnet sucked him in.

"My mother and the tech tried for several minutes to release him before the
police were called.

"He was attached to the machine for almost an hour before they could release
the chain from the machine."

The grieving daughter went on to explain that Keith suffered several heart attacks
following the incident.

She added that, though media reports have claimed Keith wasn't authorised to be
in the room, it was the technician who brought him in.

Keith’s wife Adrienne Jones-McAllister previously told News 12 Long Island that
she asked the technician to bring her husband in to help her get up from the table.
https://www.the-sun.com/news/14782740/husband-killed-mri-machine-chain/

Another wrinkle:  this is not the couple's first visit to this MRI facility.  In previous trips, the technician had "mentioned" the heavy chain around his neck.  That's according to the wife.  Not sure what she meant by "mentioned."  However, if you want to argue the husband knew not to wear that chain in the MRI room, you could just as easily argue that the technician was aware the husband was wearing that chain during previous visits and should have had him remove it before entering.

Something tells me that technician is going to be the facility's scapegoat, but in the end, they are responsible for the negligent acts of their technician.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2025, 10:56:23 AM by Flapp_Jackson »
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

hvybarrels

Re: Fatal Attraction! (In before all the meme makers steal my line!)
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2025, 11:11:20 AM »
You have to be really careful with the medical system these days.

Medical errors are the 3rd leading cause of death in the United States.

And that’s just using the official statistics that don’t count stuff like mRNA experimental gene therapy drugs.

“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Fatal Attraction! (In before all the meme makers steal my line!)
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2025, 11:17:24 AM »
You have to be really careful with the medical system these days.

Medical errors are the 3rd leading cause of death in the United States.

And that’s just using the official statistics that don’t count stuff like mRNA experimental gene therapy drugs.

That also doesn't count the cases in which the evidence was inconclusive or pointed to more than one possible cause of death. 

I've seen where surgeons still amputate the wrong hand, foot, arm or leg even though nurses wrapped the one to remove in colorful gauze, wrote messages on the limbs like "Right one. Remove me." or "Wrong one. Remove the other one."   You have to wonder whether or not modern medicine has become so complicated that even reasonably experienced doctors can make totally avoidable mistakes.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

QUIETShooter

Re: Fatal Attraction! (In before all the meme makers steal my line!)
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2025, 12:40:22 PM »
I cannot wrap my head around this vision of an operating room where there is the operating surgeon, an assistant surgeon, head nurse, assisting nurse, anesthesiologist, technicians, etc. and no one says anything as the operating surgeon saws away at the wrong limb.

I have a colonoscopy coming up.  Makes me wanna cancel. :wtf:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Fatal Attraction! (In before all the meme makers steal my line!)
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2025, 12:48:33 PM »
I cannot wrap my head around this vision of an operating room where there is the operating surgeon, an assistant surgeon, head nurse, assisting nurse, anesthesiologist, technicians, etc. and no one says anything as the operating surgeon saws away at the wrong limb.

I have a colonoscopy coming up.  Makes me wanna cancel. :wtf:

Hopefully the doctor can tell which end is up.  I'm sure that lube wouldn't taste very good!
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Rocky

Re: Fatal Attraction! (In before all the meme makers steal my line!)
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2025, 02:03:39 PM »
I cannot wrap my head around this vision of an operating room where there is the operating surgeon, an assistant surgeon, head nurse, assisting nurse, anesthesiologist, technicians, etc. and no one says anything as the operating surgeon saws away at the wrong limb.

I have a colonoscopy coming up.  Makes me wanna cancel. :wtf:

Is the doc taking you to dinner and a movie first ?
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Fatal Attraction! (In before all the meme makers steal my line!)
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2025, 02:57:29 PM »
Is the doc taking you to dinner and a movie first ?
He'll be under anesthesia.  No need for foreplay.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

macsak

Re: Fatal Attraction! (In before all the meme makers steal my line!)
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2025, 03:31:04 PM »
#notarealdoctor

Is the doc taking you to dinner and a movie first ?

QUIETShooter

Re: Fatal Attraction! (In before all the meme makers steal my line!)
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2025, 08:40:17 PM »
My last colonoscopy was 10 years ago.

I remember laying on the table and just as I was about to go under, I turned my head sideways and I saw the doctor at the end of the room.

And he was smiling at me.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Fatal Attraction! (In before all the meme makers steal my line!)
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2025, 08:54:44 PM »
My last colonoscopy was 10 years ago.

I remember laying on the table and just as I was about to go under, I turned my head sideways and I saw the doctor at the end of the room.

And he was smiling at me.
I was at the proctology department for a checkup, and the nurse took me into the exam room to wait for the doctor.

On the table I noticed an empty glass and a chilled bottle of Bud Light.

The doctor knocked, walked in, and stopped looking at that table obviously confused.

Then he smiled and called down the hall, "Nurse, I said i need a butt light!"

 :geekdanc: :rofl:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Rocky

Re: Fatal Attraction! (In before all the meme makers steal my line!)
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2025, 04:08:53 PM »
My last colonoscopy was 10 years ago.

I remember laying on the table and just as I was about to go under, I turned my head sideways and I saw the doctor at the end of the room.

And he was smiling at me.

  Just had mine 2 weeks ago after 10 yrs.
Been bugging my doc to get one for the last 5 years.
Sure enough they found a good size polyp which he referred to as "in the lucky we caught it now stage" .
MO, don't wait.

  Have some fun with it.
When the anesthesiologist was shooting me up, I told him the hamsters name was Herman and that's the last I remember.
When I woke up, he was still there and told me he did not see Herman.
   After the doc checked up on me and was walking away, I said "Hey Doc" .
When he turned around I gave him the finger/thumb to ear call me sign.  :rofl:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

oldfart

Re: Fatal Attraction! (In before all the meme makers steal my line!)
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2025, 05:48:57 PM »
Hawaii is a small place.
 I sometimes go to social events that my colonoscopy doctor  attends too. When I ask him if he remembers me, I turn around.
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Fatal Attraction! (In before all the meme makers steal my line!)
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2025, 11:39:06 AM »
Hawaii is a small place.
 I sometimes go to social events that my colonoscopy doctor  attends too. When I ask him if he remembers me, I turn around.
Of course he remembers you.  He has an anal-retentive memory.

 :geekdanc:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

QUIETShooter

Re: Fatal Attraction! (In before all the meme makers steal my line!)
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2025, 02:50:45 PM »
Hawaii is a small place.
 I sometimes go to social events that my colonoscopy doctor  attends too. When I ask him if he remembers me, I turn around.

And he immediately exclaims "Of course!!  How can I forget....." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.