Mossberg MVP (Read 3116 times)

kala201

Mossberg MVP
« on: January 20, 2013, 10:12:17 PM »
I was wondering if anyone on the forum has on these or has had any range time with one?  I was looking at one over at Sports Authority this weekend.  I like the concept of  a bolt action that take AR mags.  I read that it has problems with polymer mags but does very well with USGI mags.  Is that true?  How well does it shoot?

Bigkahuna808

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • "He's got the eye of the Jew"
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mossberg MVP
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 10:20:16 PM »
I too was looking at one.  But in handling I like the rugee gunsite model more.  I know thr ruger is .308 but the idea is similar.
The guy at sa told me he tried it with magpul mag and had fit isues and feeding, as you said gi mags no issues.

armsinc

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 10:27:47 PM »
In about six months when we know whether or not this bad is going to go through either way I'm picking up an mvp
ArmsInc Hawaii

kala201

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 07:55:03 AM »
In about six months when we know whether or not this bad is going to go through either way I'm picking up an mvp

Exactly my thoughts too.  I was thinking about getting the Predator model with a 20" barrel.  The biggest problem is that 3/4 of the my mags are Magpul gen 2's.  I have only a couple gi mags and now with prices the way they are I don't think I 'll be buying any.   :(

I too was looking at one.  But in handling I like the rugee gunsite model more.  I know thr ruger is .308 but the idea is similar.
The guy at sa told me he tried it with magpul mag and had fit isues and feeding, as you said gi mags no issues.

I have a Ruger Scout rifle.  It's a really nice gun.  It shoulders well and shoots really nice.  I was just looking for a bolt action .223/5.56 rifle.  You're right though the MVP doesn't feel as nice as the Ruger does, but it is half the price.

Jl808

Mossberg MVP
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 08:21:27 AM »
Lol I was looking at both the MVP and the RGS at SA too.   Too bad there are no ammo for either these days.
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

kala201

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 08:40:04 AM »
Roy's had a sale on their Federal 308 ammo.  I bought quite a bit to stash on the side.  It was $17.99 a box.  I bought the last of the 180 grain, but they still had quite a bit of 150 grain left.

Jl808

Mossberg MVP
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 10:44:16 AM »
Where is Roy's?  Is this a secret side business of the restaurant?  :)
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

kala201

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 12:07:08 PM »
Nah Roy's Fishing Supply.  Its in Aiea by the Ford dealership in those Harbor Court shops.  As soon as you past the small guard shack turn left and go down that row of shops.

JGreen

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 02:09:18 PM »
What other shooting supplies or ammo does Roys have?

kala201

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 05:21:54 PM »
They've got a very small selection of ammo and reloading equipment and supplies.  They are primarily a fishing supply store (duh) with a small selection of shooting and hunting supplies.  You'll find some rifle cases and bags and maybe a scope or two.   Besides rounds suitable for a rifle they also have some handgun rounds.  No 9mm though.   Just don't go in expecting much and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

JGreen

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 10:00:58 PM »
Thxs Bro for da Info  :shaka: Aloha

Pit808

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 11:35:52 AM »
I have a MVP. The 18" barrel. I have a Mueller tac II on it. Just sighted in this weekend, but only shot at 50yds due to time constraints.  I like it a lot.  Trigger is nice and it seems like it should do moa at 100 with decent ammo, given the groups at 50 with win 55 ball.  Don't know about the new pmags, but my old ones won't lock in. Gi and lancers are gtg.
chitty chitty bang bang.......

rb96706

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 07:06:47 AM »
I have a MVP. I have the Varmint model with 24" barrel and Benchrest-style Stock conforms to your hand. I have put about 300 rnds through this and it eats everything. Brass/Steel casings all of it. I have used the stock 10rnd mag, Pmags 2nd gen no window both 20rnd and 30rnd's and have had zero issues with feeding, mag holding, or anything. I have a Nikon BDC scope on it with a harris bipod. This is a sweet rifle. Picked up this model Varmint at XRing. Everywhere else had the Predator model standard stock and only 18" barrel.
http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt-action-centerfire-mvp-series-mvp-varmint/27710

kala201

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 10:16:21 PM »
Thanks RB that's good to know about the Pmags fitting.  I was looking to get a Predator series MVP with a 20" barrel.  But now I'm torn between this and a Magnum Research built up 10/22 that they got over at OGC.

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 10:26:48 PM »
We took a MVP 24" cut it down to 16" and installed a compensator on it.  Customer reported he was getting 3/4" groups using 62gr handloads @ 100 Yards

I shot a 18" one at the range.  it was great!
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

aieahound

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 04:05:08 PM »
Was at SA Waikele today. They had 3 of the predator model in stock. 18.5" barrel

They have 2 left  ;D

I'll post a range report once I try it but it feels great.  Note: 1 had a bolt issue with sticking but the other 2 were smooth.  so try before you buy.  :thumbsup:

Comes with a 5 round AR mag.

$549.  5.56 chamber.

aieahound

aieahound

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 12:33:53 PM »
Update.

Finally got the MVP to the range and sure enough it's a shooter out of the box. More accurate than I am with 62 gr. cheap steel cased MFS ammo .

I'll post targets next time I go. Don't want to post this time as too many sight in shots. ( That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it )

Bolt's a little rough, but it uses AR mags so I'll live with it. Great gun to introduce the kids to centerfire when they're ready.

Small, lightweight and very handy.

Note: only used GI mags and no problems. I'll try with magpul mags next time as I just picked up some 20 rounders from X-Ring. ( Pre-madness prices )  :thumbsup:

kala201

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 01:07:10 PM »
Thanks for the report.  I'm waiting for an MVP in 308 to make its way to a Hawaii store.  :shaka: