Vacuum Sealers (Read 1763 times)

Jaydawg

Vacuum Sealers
« on: October 07, 2010, 03:08:23 PM »
Hi all,

My next purchase will be a vacuum sealer.  I am leaning towards the FoodSaver V3460.  Any reviews on any of the vacuum sealers?

mahalo,
Jay

vooduchikn

Re: Vacuum Sealers
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 04:19:26 PM »
Hi all,

My next purchase will be a vacuum sealer.  I am leaning towards the FoodSaver V3460.  Any reviews on any of the vacuum sealers?

mahalo,
Jay

What types of items do you plan on storing?
Relax, I've banned myself..

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 04:27:49 PM »
I haven't used any vacuum sealers before but I did use mylar bags and oxygen absorbers to store some rice. It wasn't too difficult. Just pour the rice in the bags, stick in an oxygen absorber, and heat up the top with an iron. You may even be able to use a vacuum sealer with the mylar bags (not too sure).

I ended up getting the supplies from OakTea International on Amazon. Seemed to be the best price I could find.
10x 5 Gallon Mylar Bags & 10x 2,000cc Oxygen Absorbers
20x 1 Gallon Mylar Bags & 20x 300cc Oxygen Absorbers

Oh yeah, the oxygen absorbers they send are packed all together but I was able to cut the pack, take out what I needed and seal it back up with an iron. I don't know if you are supposed to do it that way, but it turned the oxygen indicator, that it was packed with, back to the "no oxygen" state.
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

Jaydawg

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 07:41:34 PM »
I've got a few tips on youtube for packing away rice, beans etc in what 2aHawaii has described, but also using the vacuum sealer for extra precaution.  I think the most use will be for packing away dinner entrees for the week and separating costco meats and things into smaller packages.  Then all the stuff I've seen, but may not try are box of ammo, rolls of gauze pads, radios etc.

I've seen the vacuum sealers used on mylar bags with good effect.