Dr appt for gun permit (Read 23365 times)

Dblnaknak

Dr appt for gun permit
« on: June 03, 2013, 08:16:02 AM »
So the other day I got a call from a doctor that I saw one time for gout. His office stated that I have to schedule an appt for a consultation concerning my HPD handgun permit. If I don't show up they will be sending HPD a letter of my non-compliance. By the way I have to pay for the visit. This doctor is a pediatrician not a psychologist. I have done this permit process like 20 times yet this is the first time I had to actually see a doctor for a "consultation".

I'm definitely changing doctors. This consultation screams unethical charging of patients for something that he is not even trained to diagnose.

808shooter

Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:24:45 AM »
Yea could be that, plus sounds like a gut-less display of CYA (cover your ass) on the part of the doc

Kingkeoni

Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 08:28:12 AM »
Let your doctor know you will be filing a complaint with the state licensing board and the attorney generals office.

Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

William Smith

Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 09:23:10 AM »
Let your doctor know you will be filing a complaint with the state licensing board and the attorney generals office.
But I wouldn't tell your doctor this untll after you get your permit paperwork cleared... If you're even going to go that route.
Just curious -if you're even willing to share the information- was this with Kaiser?

Dblnaknak

Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 09:24:56 AM »
But I wouldn't tell your doctor this untll after you get your permit paperwork cleared... If you're even going to go that route.
Just curious -if you're even willing to share the information- was this with Kaiser?

It is with HMSA at queens.

Paul96734

Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 10:02:35 AM »
This is off topic, but has anyone else wondered when the Affordable Care Act goes into place will all of our doctor waivers forms then be sent to the Federal level??

Bigkahuna808

  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1609
  • Total likes: 36
  • "He's got the eye of the Jew"
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 10:02:42 AM »
I'd ask the dr. Why and what grounds does he feel your unfit.  You have the right to acess all info in your medical history.

moosed

  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 867
  • Total likes: 0
  • Well, I'm all broken up over that man's rights!
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 10:06:16 AM »
I would tell the doctor there is nothing in the statute about a current mental health exam.  There is only a reference to your mental health history.

Quote
     [§134-3.5]  Disclosure for firearm permit and registration purposes.  A health care provider or public health authority shall disclose health information, including protected health care information, relating to an individual's mental health history, to the appropriate county chief of police in response to a request for the information from the chief of police; provided that:

     (1)  The information shall be used only for the purpose of evaluating the individual's fitness to acquire or own a firearm; and

     (2)  The individual has signed a waiver permitting release of the health information for that purpose. [L 2001, c 252, §1]

Furthermore, I would instruct the doctor to honestly answer the HPD request based on your history on file and the doctor's current knowledge of your mental health. 

Then ... wait.   If the doctor actually follows through with his notice and prevents you from getting a permit, I would be in a lawyer's office that day.  I can't even count how many rights and laws this would violate.  The most obvious is infringing on your second amendment right.  Also, he would be filing a false statement, saying you should not be issued a permit with no evidence or diagnosis to substantiate that claim.  This one denial could prevent you from ever owning another firearm in Hawaii.  The injuries this could do would be quite substantial.

If I were a lawyer, I would be all over this one after you get denied!!

Some people have all the luck!   :D   I can see a pretty good payday coming to you because of this anti-gun doctor!

 :thumbsup:
When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state".

moosed

  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 867
  • Total likes: 0
  • Well, I'm all broken up over that man's rights!
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »
Quote
If I don't show up they will be sending HPD a letter of my non-compliance.

Is that your paraphrasing, or the doctor's actual words?  if the doctor's, then ask him, with what law are you not complying?

Non-compliance sounds like a "scare" word, as if there really is some law or regulation you are breaking.  This is one of those few occasions where I would have no fear at all standing up to the establishment.  This is a completely inappropriate and unnecessary request/order from the doctor!
When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state".

K30l4

Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 11:03:03 AM »
Please correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't a pediatrician a child's doctor? If so, why are you going to see a pediatrician? 

This is fishy.

dirsh

Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »
Interesting topic. I'd like to know how it turns out.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

Dblnaknak

Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 11:04:53 AM »
Is that your paraphrasing, or the doctor's actual words?  if the doctor's, then ask him, with what law are you not complying?

Non-compliance sounds like a "scare" word, as if there really is some law or regulation you are breaking.  This is one of those few occasions where I would have no fear at all standing up to the establishment.  This is a completely inappropriate and unnecessary request/order from the doctor!

That is what the clerk said when I told her this appt is bullshit and the doctor has no right, nor no authority to make me schedule an appt. he saw me for gout and the only info he can release is related to that appt. I also told her that he is not my pcp and has no stance to threaten my standing in relation to the permit.

Dblnaknak

Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 11:05:53 AM »
Please correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't a pediatrician a child's doctor? If so, why are you going to see a pediatrician? 

This is fishy.

It's the doctor I saw because my regular doctor was out on that day.

clshade

Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 11:47:18 AM »
Yup, this is bullshit.

Unfortunately, it is dangerous bullshit unless I am mistaken. And, not being a lawyer, I very well may be.

The physician is not required to schedule a consultation to determine your fitness. That is not the deal. The deal is that the state may contact the physicians to see if you are fit or not. If the physician does not know, for example because they have only seen you once for gout, then that is the answer: "I don't know."

What I don't have enough understanding of is the appeal process if your permit is denied because this doc is a scumbag.

Might could try scheduling an appt. AFTER the 2 week period for the permit then cancel on his @ss when it comes through.

And be sure to let us know who this idiot is. I think we just found one office to avoid at all costs. (edit: unless you want to go the route moosed suggests. In which case keep it under your hat to avoid a counter suit for slander.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:52:54 AM by clshade »

fang23

Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 12:14:31 PM »
Naknak, which doctor's name did you put on the form at HPD -- your regular doc or the pediatrician? If you put yourr primary care physician's name on it, why is the other guy getting involved? If you put the pediatrician's  name on the form because your regular guy was out, wouldn't it have been better to have put the regular doc's name on it anyway?
 
"If it ain't one thing, it's another."

Dblnaknak

Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 12:17:14 PM »
Naknak, which doctor's name did you put on the form at HPD -- your regular doc or the pediatrician? If you put yourr primary care physician's name on it, why is the other guy getting involved? If you put the pediatrician's  name on the form because your regular guy was out, wouldn't it have been better to have put the regular doc's name on it anyway?

I did what I always do. I just put queens and the address. I rarely go to the doctor. It's been about 9 months since my last appt with this douch bag.

fang23

Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 01:07:52 PM »
Operating on the theory that bureacratic inertia and dumb luck  are nature's primary forces,  we can conjecture that someone at HPD sent a request for information to Queen's and that someone at Queen's looked up your records and the result is that the pediatrician you saw just once wound up with that request and decided he need to know you better in order to fil out the form.

Maybe you already did this, but why couldn't you call your PCP, explain to his receptionist what has happened, and ask them to  hold of the pediatrician and
take over the request for information? This is assuming your PCP is cool and has done this for you before.

The pediatrician would be more likely to turn the matter over to another doctor's office than to a civilian. (The rule of: "If you ain't one of us, you must be the enemy.")

 
"If it ain't one thing, it's another."

808shooter

Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 01:40:51 PM »
no offense really, but I LOL because this made me think of this funny scene:


sorry couln't help myself

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't a pediatrician a child's doctor? If so, why are you going to see a pediatrician? 

This is fishy.

Dblnaknak

Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »
At the doctors now. Read the letter from HPD. It says nothing about requiring an eval. The nurse stated its an internal policy. I informed them that how is it possible for them do require an appt for a psychological release for a doctor that has no background in psychology. She could not answer my question. She referred me to the manager. So I'm still waiting.

macsak

Re: Dr appt for gun permit
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 02:27:41 PM »
keep your cool
don't give them any excuse to cause you more grief and possibly give you a negative report to hpd

At the doctors now. Read the letter from HPD. It says nothing about requiring an eval. The nurse stated its an internal policy. I informed them that how is it possible for them do require an appt for a psychological release for a doctor that has no background in psychology. She could not answer my question. She referred me to the manager. So I'm still waiting.