12 ga #4 bird shot or Buckshot?? (Read 13340 times)

toku58

12 ga #4 bird shot or Buckshot??
« on: December 18, 2014, 04:37:02 PM »
Does anyone know where I can buy  #4 bird shot or buck shot for my home defense gun? Also some non lethal 12 ga rounds??

Mahalo!

Tom_G

Re: 12 ga #4 bird shot or Buckshot??
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 04:40:49 PM »
Buck should be available at any just about any LGS. 

#4 bird is going to be less common, I think.  Sports Authority tends to keep hunting rounds on the shelf. 

Non-lethal?  I don't think I've ever seen it in a LGS; then again, I've never looked for it.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

macsak

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 04:42:27 PM »
Does anyone know where I can buy  #4 bird shot or buck shot for my home defense gun? Also some non lethal 12 ga rounds??

Mahalo!

#4 bird is hard to find
ogc had low recoil 00 buck 12 ga 250rds for $125
sale ends saturday, i believe

don't think i've ever seen non-lethal in a store

zippz

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 04:46:28 PM »
I never saw the point of having less than lethal rounds for self defense.  Unless you use it in a secondary weapon, or you have a partner to back you up.

To me just having your opponent stare down a 12 gauge barrel is the less than lethal option.  If that doesn't stop them, don't think anything will.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Kingkeoni

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 04:48:11 PM »
Bird shot is for birds.

In the home #4 buck is an excellent choice in a 12 gauge shotgun
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

mauidog

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 04:52:09 PM »
Someone must be selling rubber bullets here.

I see them at the range all the time ...

:rofl:
http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/huffpo-reporter-mistakes-earplugs-rubber-bullets
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 05:04:02 PM by mauidog »
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

macsak

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 05:09:09 PM »
Bird shot is for birds.

In the home #4 buck is an excellent choice in a 12 gauge shotgun

now that i think of it, he probably did mean #4 buck
but i haven't seen that here either

aieahound

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 05:22:42 PM »
I got #4 game load high brass at Sports authority.
 They don't always stock it though.

What the hell is that picture of ?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The more a person hates, the more the object of their hatred hates them back. - Itachi Uchiha

Bota-CS1

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 06:05:35 PM »
I think less-than lethal is restricted to LE only in HI. 
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

mauidog

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 07:57:46 PM »
I got #4 game load high brass at Sports authority.
 They don't always stock it though.

What the hell is that picture of ?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Click the link below the picture.  It's a recent Twitter "screw up" by a supposed journalist!
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

Tom_G

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 11:07:46 PM »
now that i think of it, he probably did mean #4 buck
but i haven't seen that here either

The OP asked about #4 bird shot.  Are you suggesting he didn't know what he was asking for?  ;)
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

sworbeyegib

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 11:06:27 AM »
Big difference between #4 buckshot and #4 birdshot. I've seen #4 birdshot at Sport Authority though.

Haven't seen #4 buckshot locally, but I haven't actually tried looking for it. #4 buckshot is a very popular HD round.

I stick to the Federal low recoil 00 buck. I patterned some when i first got my gun, and was happy with what I found.

At the shotgun course they did a few months ago, I tried using the Speer 00, and that sucker patterned like a slug up to (what I think was about 7 yards). Instructors thought I must have gotten my slugs mixed up with my buckshot, except it was happening to another guy. We even cut open a shell and double checked that it was indeed buckshot we were shooting.

Q

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 11:11:40 AM »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 08:04:31 PM by Q »

Lifer

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 05:16:11 PM »

At the shotgun course they did a few months ago, I tried using the Speer 00, and that sucker patterned like a slug up to (what I think was about 7 yards). Instructors thought I must have gotten my slugs mixed up with my buckshot, except it was happening to another guy. We even cut open a shell and double checked that it was indeed buckshot we were shooting.

Ha, I remember that.

Those Speer rounds didn't want to spread at ALL!

macsak

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 05:19:40 PM »
Ha, I remember that.

Those Speer rounds didn't want to spread at ALL!

oh shit
i have at least a whole sleeve of the speers

i guess i better pattern them next week

hepcat96821

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 06:01:22 PM »
A few months back I found some #4 buck at windward gun shop, and bought several boxes of it.  Other then that, I havent seen it anywhere else.  I will be there sometime during the weekend, if I see some I will post it here. 

sworbeyegib

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 06:54:46 PM »
oh shit
i have at least a whole sleeve of the speers

i guess i better pattern them next week

I was running them thru an open cylinder, and I believe the other guy was as well. Oddly enough, my Dad was also in the class, running the same ammo, and his was opening faster using a I/C choke. My guess is they use some sort of flight control wad that stays together better thru an open choke, but dislodges faster from anything tighter.

I would've loved to spend some time patterning after the class. But I don't think there were any target stands left in one piece by about 2 hours in...

toku58

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 08:42:39 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! I was asking about both #4 Buck and #4 bird shot. Either would a possible option. I have other guns for home defense but I would rather not kill my neighbor if I ever needed to let off a few rounds.

Home defense we're looking at a range of 10-15 feet so either would be good. So at that range even #9 bird shot would put a hole in the target almost like a slug. I don't want it to pass through the wall of my house with any real killing force. That's why I'm not looking for 00 buck or slugs.

I was told that non lethal maybe illegal due to the fact that people may shoot a perp simply because they know it wouldn't kill, but cause pain.

Not sure about why certain things are illegal here, in communist Hawaii??

I'm hoping they will start to allow open carry here like the rest of AMERICA!  :thumbsup:

Again Thank you for the reply!  :shaka:

Masamune

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 09:51:54 PM »
Sent pm have a couple of cases

hvybarrels

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • board waxed - powder dry
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 11:33:50 PM »
Make sure you pattern it before you buy a ton. I used some number 4 and it had a very wide spread compared with 00, which almost negates the safety factor at medium distances.