If you stash your cash... (Read 12153 times)

aieahound

If you stash your cash...
« on: September 01, 2015, 06:26:47 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-you-should-never-bury-your-money-2015-8

Chinese lady buries cash. It decomposes and turns to mush.

Take care to secure it safely if you stash your cash at home.

Be aware there is generally a small limit on what homeowners insurance will pay for cash should something like a fire or theft happen.
Generally around $200.

I've seen people who had $20,000 stashed in the house when it went up in flames and they were handed a check for $200.
Or $2,000 stolen, again, check for $200.

Take care of it if you stash it.

Inspector

Re: If you stash your cash...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 06:37:25 AM »
Cash is so easily and readily available 24/7 these days at ATM's I would be surprised if anyone still kept large amounts of cash stashed in their home.

I don't even carry cash on me much any more unless I am going into Waikiki and need to park. Otherwise I use a credit card for everything nowadays. Pay it off at the end of the month. Easier to deal with for me.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

aieahound

Re: If you stash your cash...
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 06:44:52 AM »
I know we got some preppers out there.

Natural disaster or heaven forbid a EMP and credit/debit/atm cards go out the window.

Also folks paranoid about the market and all their eggs in a bank.

Maybe this should be in the preparedness survival section.

Drakiir84

Re: If you stash your cash...
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 06:48:05 AM »
Any extra money I have generally goes into ammo when I see it on sale..... that and all the gold I have stored O.o
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

Inspector

Re: If you stash your cash...
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 07:06:11 AM »
I know we got some preppers out there.

Natural disaster or heaven forbid a EMP and credit/debit/atm cards go out the window.

Also folks paranoid about the market and all their eggs in a bank.

Maybe this should be in the preparedness survival section.
Yeah I have a niece that is way into the prepper thing. The thing about keeping your money in a bank is that it takes time for economies to collapse to the point where banks start limiting the amount you can take out. Or stop releasing money at all. If you look at Greece it took years to get to that point. And even at that they warned everyone a day or two before they started limited withdraws. As far as a natural disaster or EMP go, a natural disaster is very much localized and easily and quickly over come. The EMP is another story. If that happens I doubt even cash will be worth anything. I believe at that point maybe gold/silver or more like food, ammo, TP, medicine, alcohol, etc. will be the trading currency. I hear it might take as much as a year to recover from an EMP attack. If you are so isolated that you don't know something is going to happen then I guess keeping money at home is preferable. But we are all so connected these days.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

eyeeatingfish

Re: If you stash your cash...
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 02:51:29 PM »
I keep about a grand in a safe, but safes are only good in fire for a limited time as far as paper goes. Also have about 20 ounces give or take of silver coins, at least those won't burn.

dirtylickins

  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1619
  • Total likes: 141
  • I carry a gun... Cause carrying a cop is too heavy
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: If you stash your cash...
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 04:21:19 PM »
as far as stash goes long term has to be precious metal gold preferably. only cash stash is from the wife on the next thing im going to buy. >:D

Aiea78

  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1683
  • Total likes: 99
  • Grab em by the handles
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Assault Rifle? What I have here is an Anti-Assault Rifle.
Proud Member 2016 2a Day Dozen open holster carry crew yo

hvybarrels

Re: If you stash your cash...
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 10:06:10 PM »
I heard that it's good to keep about one month's worth of expenses on hand. In a natural disaster it will tide you over until accounts become available, and for an economic collapse there will only be a short window when cash spikes in value and then crashes to become totally worthless. Any more than that then you risk losing too much during a robbery, and honestly in the middle of the Pacific it's probably wiser to invest in ways that will pay you back no matter what happens.
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

eyeeatingfish

Re: If you stash your cash...
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 10:49:58 PM »
I heard that it's good to keep about one month's worth of expenses on hand. In a natural disaster it will tide you over until accounts become available, and for an economic collapse there will only be a short window when cash spikes in value and then crashes to become totally worthless. Any more than that then you risk losing too much during a robbery, and honestly in the middle of the Pacific it's probably wiser to invest in ways that will pay you back no matter what happens.

I think they say it is three months worth funds. That might just mean in the bank as fluid cash though.

mauidog

Re: If you stash your cash...
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 08:26:23 AM »
I have a safe deposit box. 

A couple of grand in cash is prudent to place in it, I think. 

I also have some silver dollars from the late 1880s - 1910s.  Some gold jewelry for safe keeping which would come in handy in a long term emergency.  Passports, birth certificates, house deeds, insurance papers,  ...

Think house fire, not just natural or man made disaster.  If I had to bug out and not return for a month, my important papers and other irreplaceables will be locked away nice and secure.

Nothing is foolproof.  I had a safe deposit box drilled open by the bank and the contents given to someone else who closed their account.  The bank made a clerical error with the box number.

Even so, I think it's worth the annual fee so you have a secure basket to put your most important eggs in.
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

eyeeatingfish

Re: If you stash your cash...
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 10:44:53 AM »
Nothing is foolproof.  I had a safe deposit box drilled open by the bank and the contents given to someone else who closed their account.  The bank made a clerical error with the box number.

What happened? Did they get you your stuff back? Did they reimburse you? Did you mention that $5 million dollar value rare coin?

mauidog

Re: If you stash your cash...
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 07:49:41 PM »
What happened? Did they get you your stuff back? Did they reimburse you? Did you mention that $5 million dollar value rare coin?

Bank submitted a claim to their home office.  I guess someone then contacted/looked for the other former customer to see if they still had the contents.  No results.

We estimated the value of the contents at $X.00, and the bank counter-offered with $X.00 - 25%, which we settled for.

The one item that really caused grief was the missing Will for my mother who passed away that week.  Caused us to go through probate without a Will. 

Over 2 years later, my sister and her idiot lawyer have still not settled the estate!!  I could have had it done in 2 months without a lawyer if I had the will that named me executor.
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

eyeeatingfish

Re: If you stash your cash...
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 09:11:47 PM »
Bank submitted a claim to their home office.  I guess someone then contacted/looked for the other former customer to see if they still had the contents.  No results.

We estimated the value of the contents at $X.00, and the bank counter-offered with $X.00 - 25%, which we settled for.

The one item that really caused grief was the missing Will for my mother who passed away that week.  Caused us to go through probate without a Will. 

Over 2 years later, my sister and her idiot lawyer have still not settled the estate!!  I could have had it done in 2 months without a lawyer if I had the will that named me executor.

Wow, that is a messed up situation all together. Not implying you are a dishonest person but how would the bank ever know if you claimed high value things? I don't have a safety deposit box but if I did I think I would make sure to take a photo of the contents every time I went in to make sure that if they ever lost it you had proof what was in there.

The will is definitely a pain in the butt though. Did you think of trying to find the lawyer or person who wrote up the will and seeing if they had another copy?

mauidog

Re: If you stash your cash...
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 09:26:12 PM »
Wow, that is a messed up situation all together. Not implying you are a dishonest person but how would the bank ever know if you claimed high value things? I don't have a safety deposit box but if I did I think I would make sure to take a photo of the contents every time I went in to make sure that if they ever lost it you had proof what was in there.

The will is definitely a pain in the butt though. Did you think of trying to find the lawyer or person who wrote up the will and seeing if they had another copy?

You haven't looked into probate law, I imagine.

Have you ever asked yourself, "How do I revoke a Will that is no longer current?"

Answer:  You destroy the Will.

Absence of an original Will implies there is no Will. 
Photocopies without original signatures will not be accepted by the probate court. 
Rationale: I might have been given a copy of an older Will which left me 100% of the estate, but my parents destroyed that original (revoked it) and never made a new one.  So, now I have to share the estate with my 9 brothers according to probate law!

If you can't produce an original, valid Will, the estate is deemed to have no Will and must go through the state's probate process. 
How fair, easy or painful that process is depends on the state and county laws involved.



An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

mauidog

Re: If you stash your cash...
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 09:36:53 PM »
The safe deposit box contents were my mom's, and my sister's name was on the account to give her access, too.  The dollar value of the contents was way less than my sister claimed.  I suggested an amount, she doubled it, and the bank cut her extra amount in half.  So, the bank wrote a check for 150% of what I suggested.

Given the inconvenience caused by losing the Will, the unknown cash value of the jewelry, and the fact the bank was 100% liable for the loss, a little extra for pain, suffering, and punitive damages for their negligence seemed appropriate.

the whole thing was caused by their numbering system.  They have half the vault's boxes numbered the same as the other half, but one half starts with the letter "E", and the other half started with "C".  My mother's/sister's key didn't fit the box number on the registration card.  The box with the corresponding digits on the other side of the vault had no lock -- it had been drilled.  So, we had to come back the next day to meet the locksmith to drill the box the key's didn't fit.

It took the manager about half an hour to figure it out when our box was opened and was empty.  Very apologetic, but that's not worth much when you're already under stress from a funeral and not in your home state.  We filed a police report and filed the claim.  The rest was just torture, having to let my sister and her lawyer figure out how to keep as much of our mother's assets in my sister's pocket (and by billable hours, the lawyer's pocket) as they legally could.  :wacko:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:10:21 PM by mauidog »
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

Q

.
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 10:23:24 PM »
.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2025, 05:28:36 AM by Q »

mauidog

Re: If you stash your cash...
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 10:34:37 PM »
That's why you buy REAL money, which is gold and silver.

If you don't want gold and silver, you buy tangible assets; i.e. ammo, weapons, tools, etc.

If you still don't want that, you put your money in property and generating resources from said property.



People holding onto fiat currency are not very smart; especially those burying it without implementing proper storage procedures.

Diversify!

Some in US currency, some in precious metals, and some in tangible commodities.

All things in moderation.
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

Aiea78

  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1683
  • Total likes: 99
  • Grab em by the handles
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: If you stash your cash...
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 11:57:38 AM »
dang sorry to hear mauidog.  I went through nearly the same shit with my underhanded sister and her good for nothing greedy bastard husband.  she lied thru her teeth for over 2 years to delay, obfuscate, or otherwise render useless my efforts to make good on the promises we made to my mom before her passing.  she desperately searched for a will that unfortunately for me did not exist and fought me each step in probate. there's more but no use talking about it now, time to leave it all behind. 
Assault Rifle? What I have here is an Anti-Assault Rifle.
Proud Member 2016 2a Day Dozen open holster carry crew yo

mauidog

Re: If you stash your cash...
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 12:18:46 PM »
dang sorry to hear mauidog.  I went through nearly the same shit with my underhanded sister and her good for nothing greedy bastard husband.  she lied thru her teeth for over 2 years to delay, obfuscate, or otherwise render useless my efforts to make good on the promises we made to my mom before her passing.  she desperately searched for a will that unfortunately for me did not exist and fought me each step in probate. there's more but no use talking about it now, time to leave it all behind.

I've heard so many bad stories due to greed and ignorance after the passing of a parent.  The heirs seem to be divided into "reasonable" and "I deserve more because the other siblings have more than I do!"  it's when the later is in control of the estate or refuses to cooperate just so they can tie the assets up that things spiral out of control.

I sometimes think the whole inheritance thing is a test of character, and it saddens me that the majority I see fail ....  that also includes the vulture-relatives that swoop down the day after they hear of the passing.  They show up carrying a casserole and ask if they can have things from the house before the funeral!!
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper