Hearing anything, good OR bad, is only a small fraction of the equation. First and foremost, get a bunch of guns in your hands. Gun shops, gun shows, ranges (to test drive is best) but let your hands help you make the decision. What fits and feels comfortable in your hands. Can you easily reach the controls> How's the weight for you? Brand hype is PURELY subjective. Everyone has an opinion and you know what they say..........
Form your own based on the facts of your own experience. Considerations should include:
*your price range tolerance
*intended purpose (may influence any capacity considerations)
*reliability record and recall status (do your homework after you narrow the list down)
*availability of ammo in your area for the caliber you choose (not going into the "Great Caliber Debate" here or now)
*how does it feel in your hands
I like Sigs but I don't recommend them straight away because my hands are NOT the same size as everybody elses. They just work for me best and I learned long ago that what fits well and feels comfortable, you will shoot most "naturally". I bought a Beretta 92S shortly after my P226. It shot pretty good but whatever I did I could never get it to group as well as I could with the Sig. Pachmyer grips, weightlifting glove, whatever. Everything I did made NO difference. I eventually sold the Beretta, lesson learned.
Nothing wrong with Beretta or that gun. Fact is, no gun is perfect because the human factor varies significantly and in so many ways. Peoples hands are different sized and finger lengths are not consistantly equal. What works for one person may not for you because your needs and preferences may be different than THAT person telling you Brand X Model such-and-such should be what you get. Fanboi stuff aside, that information isn't totally useless. Hearing about how it functions, impressions of it's wweight both static and during recoil and all those other bits of information may trigger interest in Brand X and model whatever. Then the homework on your part should begin. DO your due dilligence and find out what will work best for you. The best way to make an informed decision is to get all the information you can before you make a purchase. Once you buy it, if you don't like it, you will regret making that "snap" decision because "so-and-so" said it was the best thing since sliced bread.
The best advice I can give is to get a bunch in your hands and "feel them out". If you can "test drive" them, so much the better. Friends, ranges that rent and so on will only provide you more information so you can make a better informed decision. No Brand hype machine beating a drum from me to you. Good Luck.