I still don't agree with it. People need to take the responsibility on their own. A law does not need to be put in place for it. There are enough gun laws as it is, and it just gives police one more thing to tag you for if they are ever over for whatever reason. Yes I agree with safe storage. I have an entire vault room of machine guns, but I shouldn't be concerned of breaking the law if I leave MY gun out in MY HOUSE. Do you really think the LA government will really stop there anyways? Of course not! It's just one more step taken in the direction they want, and it's always about "protecting the children" when it's not. People complying with stuff like this is now why there are so many pointless gun laws in California, Hawaii, New York, Illinois, etc.
This law doesn't affect me here in Texas YET, but it's still crap that my fellow Americans shouldn't have to put up with.
First off, nothing in my statement implied that I support or oppose that law (or any other relating to firearms). It's was for clarification (or
to educate), about two posts that might cause confusion. So tone it down or read more carefully before trying to start an argument when there is none.
When I read your post, I get: 1) You don't agree with that particular law, 2) you don't like laws, 3) you agree with safe storage, and 4) it doesn't matter you're in Texas...the rest is rhetoric. I agree with point 1) because the 4th Amendment essentially makes it unenforceable until something happens, 3) because we're responsible gun owners and 4) LA county laws amount to squat in Texas (I have dual residency and just got back 4 months ago).
But as for 2...That's a personal issue, just know that, like it or not we are a nation of laws and have been since its founding. BUT you are free to decide for yourself what laws (that apply) you like and want to obey. Personally, I choose to abide by laws regardless how I might feel about it. Why? Because it's the cornerstone of every pro-2A argument made, which is:
We gun owners are responsible, law abiding citizens. That is what gives us the high ground when countering the idiotic fear mongering statements like "do it for the children" or "keeping guns from criminals". It's really something to think about before making statements or suggesting people disobey a law in an public forum.