Gen 5 Glock (Read 20620 times)

drck1000

Gen 5 Glock
« on: August 25, 2017, 08:23:59 AM »
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/25/glock-gen5/

Saw some joke memes of this in the past few days, but appears to be coming out soon.  I'm very interested, but prob will hold off getting one for a while.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldfart

Re: Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 08:49:03 AM »
I guess "Glock Perfection" wasn't so perfect if they had to come out with a new improved pistol. :rofl:

What, Me Worry?

drck1000

Re: Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 08:58:07 AM »

drck1000

Re: Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 08:59:58 AM »
I guess "Glock Perfection" wasn't so perfect if they had to come out with a new improved pistol. :rofl:
So no other pistols went through improvements over the years? Even your beloved "real man's metal frame" pistols...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldfart

Re: Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »
So no other pistols went through improvements over the years? Even your beloved "real man's metal frame" pistols...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
==========
1911? not much change in over a hundred years.
Though I do own a glock and it is extremely reliable, I'm just not a fan.
What, Me Worry?

hvybarrels

Re: Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »
Cool. Gen 4s will be on sale.
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

drck1000

Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 10:54:59 PM »
==========
1911? not much change in over a hundred years.
Though I do own a glock and it is extremely reliable, I'm just not a fan.
You gotta be kidding...  I have a Remington Rand 1911 that was used in the Korean War. It's no where near a 1911 from today. I'm no 1911 SME or anything close, but I would argue that the 1911 us gone through more improvement, mods, etc than most handguns in common usage today...

Yeah, the 1911 is produced by many manufacturers, but just look at the evolution from 1911 to 1911A1.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 12:27:28 AM by drck1000 »

TastesLikeMetal

Re: Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 11:49:42 AM »
Yay no Finger Grooves!!! :thumbsup:

robtmc

Re: Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 12:09:32 PM »
Yay no Finger Grooves!!! :thumbsup:
Understand many do not like the grroves.  never bothered me, but notice no improvement in the shape of the trigger guard that does bother me.

drck1000

Re: Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 09:21:30 AM »
Understand many do not like the grroves.  never bothered me, but notice no improvement in the shape of the trigger guard that does bother me.
They never bothered be either.  I think they actually fit my hand pretty well.  Though personally I do know of many who absolutely hate the finger grooves, even to the point of causing pain.  And I'm talking well known instructors and other "working professional" types (and not just recreational shooters like me). 

I think most of the updates aren't major improvements in my mind.  At least nothing that will have me going out to get one right away.  I am interested in seeing how the new barrel rifling performs, though I would guess that I wouldn't notice a significant difference, even if the new barrel did perform better.  As in I think my 17s are capable of better precision than I am. 

One thing that I've been told is that parts compatibility will also become an issue for those who have a bunch of parts for older generation guns.  I don't know which parts in particular, but I would assume that is the case with the ambi slide stop. 

SOLEsource684

Re: Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 12:41:07 AM »
Did some research on the Gen 5's. Meh...maybe the 4's will go down in price now lol. Could always add a 17 to my collection maybe this will help nudge me.

Heavies

Re: Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 01:29:33 AM »
You gotta be kidding...  I have a Remington Rand 1911 that was used in the Korean War. It's no where near a 1911 from today. I'm no 1911 SME or anything close, but I would argue that the 1911 us gone through more improvement, mods, etc than most handguns in common usage today...

Yeah, the 1911 is produced by many manufacturers, but just look at the evolution from 1911 to 1911A1.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd tend to disagree. Many 'improvements' made to 1911s aren't really improvements to the initial design, more to make the pistol into something different from initially intended.

Same to say as well with the Glock, I suppose.

oldfart

Re: Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 01:58:20 AM »
You gotta be kidding...  I have a Remington Rand 1911 that was used in the Korean War. It's no where near a 1911 from today. I'm no 1911 SME or anything close, but I would argue that the 1911 us gone through more improvement, mods, etc than most handguns in common usage today...

Yeah, the 1911 is produced by many manufacturers, but just look at the evolution from 1911 to 1911A1.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
....
You can still buy a new 1911 pistol today thàt is virtually identical to one made 100 years ago.
I suppose the thing that irritates me about glocks besides the trigger guard, trigger weight and triggeŕ nub, is the audacity of their ad campaign touting "glock perfection".

Yeah I know it's just advertising, but if a company claims their product is perfect then why change it?
Àm I starting to sound like a grumpy old man? Lol
What, Me Worry?

macsak

Re: Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 05:15:12 AM »
....
You can still buy a new 1911 pistol today thàt is virtually identical to one made 100 years ago.
I suppose the thing that irritates me about glocks besides the trigger guard, trigger weight and triggeŕ nub, is the audacity of their ad campaign touting "glock perfection".

Yeah I know it's just advertising, but if a company claims their product is perfect then why change it?
Àm I starting to sound like a grumpy old man? Lol

"starting"?
LOL

Inspector

Re: Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 06:34:44 AM »
Àm I starting to sound like a grumpy old man? Lol
Whiny little kid is more like it.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

Re: Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 07:05:26 AM »
Whiny little kid is more like it.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
===========
hey hey hey
I hate grandiose advertising claims.
Like when somebody guaranteed that his bullets would hit the frame
 :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

Re: Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 07:18:20 AM »
I'd tend to disagree. Many 'improvements' made to 1911s aren't really improvements to the initial design, more to make the pistol into something different from initially intended.

Same to say as well with the Glock, I suppose.
That was exactly my point.  The original basic operating of the gun is essentially what remains.  Not much more.  Yes, the operation of the 1911 was amazing at the time and yes, one that many future guns were modeled after. 

drck1000

Re: Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 07:28:56 AM »
....
You can still buy a new 1911 pistol today thàt is virtually identical to one made 100 years ago.
I suppose the thing that irritates me about glocks besides the trigger guard, trigger weight and triggeŕ nub, is the audacity of their ad campaign touting "glock perfection".

Yeah I know it's just advertising, but if a company claims their product is perfect then why change it?
Àm I starting to sound like a grumpy old man? Lol
Yeah, you can buy a 1911 that is pretty close to the original 1911, but that's true of many firearms where there's nostalgic aspect.  I'd argue that if Gen 1 Glocks were still produced, that there would be a good amount of folks buying them.  From what I've seen, Gen 1s still fetch a premium on the rare occasion that they come on the market.  Hell, a friend recently acquired a Gen 2 in an estate sale and that went for a good price.  One difference is that like ARs, a bunch of companies started producing 1911s.  Whereas only Glock produces Glock and only they control how the base gun evolves. 

I'm not arguing that the Glock is perfect.  There are many things about them that I think can be tweaked to personal preference and many people so that, and to varying degrees.  That said, there are many other companies that have marketing slogans that just go in one ear and out the other. 

Inspector

Re: Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 07:46:15 AM »
===========
hey hey hey
I hate grandiose advertising claims.
Like when somebody guaranteed that his bullets would hit the frame
 :rofl:
They hit the frame for me. Guess you used the wrong kind of lube?  :geekdanc: :geekdanc: :geekdanc:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

drck1000

Re: Gen 5 Glock
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 07:52:14 AM »
They hit the frame for me. Guess you used the wrong kind of lube?  :geekdanc: :geekdanc: :geekdanc:
Maybe you need to tell him the right kind of lube to use with your projectiles to achieve maximum effect. . .  :o

 :rofl: