Voting Registration and Voting By Mail (Read 13354 times)

drck1000

Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« on: September 24, 2018, 09:31:07 AM »
Posting some useful links for voter registration and requesting mail in ballot. 

In past years, I requested mail in ballots through applying via a local Post Office, but my ballot never arrived for the 2016 General Election.  I ended up doing walk-up voting, but I was surprised and unhappy that my mail in ballot never arrived.  My dad's mail in ballot never arrived.  Anyways, I found a link to request mail in ballots online and it was super easy.  It seems like you can do voter registration online as well.

Anyways, if you aren't registered, please register and get out and vote.  If you have friends, family, acquaintances, etc, please encourage them to register and vote.  Don't forget to remind them of the idiocy of the things that we are facing and how our local politicians need to be replaced.  I would love to get more likeminded voters, but I do feel that given the current state of things (more folks being awakened by people currently in office), that more voters will help change things. 

Link includes online registration and request for mail in ballots. 

https://elections.hawaii.gov/voters/early-voting/

https://elections.hawaii.gov/frequently-asked-questions/voting-by-mail/

rklapp

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 08:54:33 AM »
My son registered at the primary election. He brought in his passport and bank statement for proof. Later he got a letter from Elections saying that he didn't provide proof and his vote was invalid. Grrr... He's your typical radicalized college student so that's probably wasn't why they invalidated his vote.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Drakiir84

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 09:01:51 AM »
Absentee voting is the only way to go.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 09:39:58 AM »
My son registered at the primary election. He brought in his passport and bank statement for proof. Later he got a letter from Elections saying that he didn't provide proof and his vote was invalid. Grrr... He's your typical radicalized college student so that's probably wasn't why they invalidated his vote.
So, he registered and actually voted in the primary.  As in an election official accepted the registration at the time.  Then later received a notification that his vote as "invalid"?  If so, that's some BS. 

Has he tried to register for the general? 

Absentee voting is the only way to go.
I've mostly voted absentee since I was in HS.  Just that one election after I moved when I specifically remembered requesting a mail-in ballot and it never arrived.  So I had to do walk-up voting at City Hall, which actually was an ok experience.  Listening to folks discuss stuff in line was interesting, but had to bite my tongue many times. 

robtmc

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 03:57:30 PM »
I was surprised and unhappy that my mail in ballot never arrived.  My dad's mail in ballot never arrived.
No worries, someone else filled them out and voted for you. :shaka:

drck1000

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 11:41:15 AM »
No worries, someone else filled them out and voted for you. :shaka:
Nah.  I ended up voting walk-in.  It was my dad's mail-in ballot never arriving that got me mad.  Especially since he had been voting absentee for as long as I can remember. 

I was laughing and thinking it would be a good idea to start a "none of the above" campaign like in Brewster's Millions. 

6716J

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 01:53:28 PM »
Could be worse...

West Virginia to introduce mobile phone voting for midterm elections
https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/06/technology/mobile-voting-west-virginia-voatz/index.html

https://www.cnet.com/news/west-virginia-to-pioneer-mobile-phone-voting-in-midterm-elections/

Copied from my IT friends FB
"No! This is a terrible idea. I have been a systems security engineer for 20 years. I was a hacker before hacking was a even a defined crime. This opens us up to all manner of what my industry calls "advanced persistent threats."

How does it open it up? It opens it up by bridging the "air gap."

An "air gap" means that there are no physical wires that connect two systems. A properly secured voting system has absolutely NO connections to other networks. It has NO connections, even through other networks, to the internet. It is completely isolated.

That means for a compromise to occur, that compromise *must* come from an insider. Someone with physical access to the air-gapped network and system.

THIS BRIDGES THE AIR GAP.

Our enemies are extraordinarily sophisticated, and the government's track record of keeping them out is abysmal.
Same with the private sector.

Now, West Virginia's votes and elections will be subject to attack from all manner of foreign and domestic interests with extraordinary resources.

This will not be fake "russia hacked the election" crap. This will be real. And we will never know about it if it happens. APTs (Advanced Persistent Threats) are good, and stay hidden in systems for years.

The Chinese People's Liberation Army has an entire DIVISION of hackers, who in turn, control and mentor tens of thousands more unofficial "nationalist" civilian hackers.

The number of extraordinarily skilled hackers who can act as mercenaries on behalf of any foreign state or domestic interest is astonishingly high.

With something as important as an election, the resources of an entire country can be thrown at it.

KEEP ELECTION SYSTEMS AIR-GAPPED."
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

rpoL98

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 02:25:29 PM »
it would help if the HRA 2A-friendly voter recommendations went out BEFORE the absentee ballots went out.  since more folks are electing that option.

drck1000

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 05:10:29 PM »
Got my ballot in the mail today.  Was beginning to wonder if it was ever gonna arrive. 

Inspector

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 05:35:04 PM »
Got my ballot in the mail today.  Was beginning to wonder if it was ever gonna arrive.
I read on the HNN site that the ballots were expected in today’s mail. But of course I didn’t get mine.  :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

drck1000

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 06:05:39 PM »
I read on the HNN site that the ballots were expected in today’s mail. But of course I didn’t get mine.  :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:
It’s a conspiracy I tell you. They don’t want you voting.  :P

macsak

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 07:04:23 PM »
I read on the HNN site that the ballots were expected in today’s mail. But of course I didn’t get mine.  :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

got mine

heads

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 11:50:48 PM »
Mine arrived today.

I knew it was going to arrive hours before the carrier delivered it.

If you haven't checked out the post office's "Informed Delivery" service, it's pretty cool.  Sign up on their website, and each day you have mail coming, you get an email.  The email has a scan of the front of each mail piece.

You don't get 100% of what's coming in the scanned images, like bulk (junk) mail or pieces that for whatever reason just missed getting scanned, but I'm being notified of about 95% of what's delivered.

So, it you think your mail is being delivered to the wrong house (similar names or house numbers), or you're just too lazy to check the mail everyday and would like to know if there's something important sitting in the mailbox, this is a great tool.

If, however, you're the kind of person who didn't want to know the gender of your kid before it was born, this service might take all the fun out of going to the mailbox for you.

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

2ahavvaii

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 03:07:28 PM »
it would help if the HRA 2A-friendly voter recommendations went out BEFORE the absentee ballots went out.  since more folks are electing that option.

this is just a personal gripe, but i think absentee ballots should go out a lot closer to election day.  Candidates, especially the lesser known ones should be given a better shot to get their names out there.  Absentee ballots gong out 3 weeks before election day is too far in advance.  my 0.02

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 03:34:50 PM »
this is just a personal gripe, but i think absentee ballots should go out a lot closer to election day.  Candidates, especially the lesser known ones should be given a better shot to get their names out there.  Absentee ballots gong out 3 weeks before election day is too far in advance.  my 0.02

It balances out.  "October Surprises" don't have the magnitude of impact (if any), because the surprise comes after many have cast their ballots early.  Also, the candidates have been adjusting their campaign schedules to account for early voting. They'd be unwise not to.

If someone isn't getting the exposure they need before late October, another week or so isn't going to make much difference unless they save a baby from drowning or similar news-worthy acts.

The "better shot" exists.  They need to start sooner, work harder and meet more people well before absentee ballots arrive. I had 3 stop by my house last month.  One followed up with a postcard to remind me who she is and what she's running for.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Inspector

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 03:58:12 PM »
got mine

heads
Got mine.

You need heads.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

drck1000

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 03:59:36 PM »
I read on the HNN site that the ballots were expected in today’s mail. But of course I didn’t get mine.  :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:
Didya get it yet?

I don’t mind the timing of the ballot. You have quite a bit of time to review and mail it back in

drck1000

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 04:00:10 PM »

Inspector

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 04:00:33 PM »
It’s a conspiracy I tell you. They don’t want you voting.  :P
Got it today. Already voted for that hot piece of crap Crazy Mazie. I also went for Ige and Tulsi. You are all voting for losers!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

2ahavvaii

Re: Voting Registration and Voting By Mail
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 01:46:43 AM »
It balances out.  "October Surprises" don't have the magnitude of impact (if any), because the surprise comes after many have cast their ballots early.  Also, the candidates have been adjusting their campaign schedules to account for early voting. They'd be unwise not to.

If someone isn't getting the exposure they need before late October, another week or so isn't going to make much difference unless they save a baby from drowning or similar news-worthy acts.

The "better shot" exists.  They need to start sooner, work harder and meet more people well before absentee ballots arrive. I had 3 stop by my house last month.  One followed up with a postcard to remind me who she is and what she's running for.

I do understand your point.  Just a personal gripe :)  Instead of having one election day, it's almost like creating 2 separate classes of voters voting at different times on the same election.  If the timing of the voting doesn't really matter, then they theorectically could just make voting year round.  Vote Jan 1 to primary deadline for primary.  Immediately after primary until november 14th (i think) for election.