Flapp pointed out on the other thread he did have a knife in the passenger floorboard, which makes it a justified shooting and a possible suicide by cop.
Maybe I am being too harsh but it does not inspire confidence that the video shows at least 3 officers involved in a physical confrontation and the guy still manages to make it all the way around to the other side of his car and open the door with kids inside.
It could be the police hesitation was due to the sensitive political environment, and that hesitation ironically created an out of control situation which sparked the sort of riots they were trying to prevent.
Definitely not a good time to be a cop, and my deepest gratitude to all the LEOs doing their best to hold it together.
I watched the video and it was very disturbing. I think you are correct that the political environment, that particular situation with children in close proximity, and people standing by watching their every move caused hesitation.
I can only speak for myself, but if I found myself in that situation and the cops tell me to stand down, I WILL STAND DOWN. I am a parent who loves my children and will do anything to keep them safe. I wonder if that guy was even thinking of how traumatic it looked with his kids watching their dad (actually the word father should be used. Dad is reserved for those who earned it) scuffle with police with their firearms drawn. Not to mention the danger. That cop's adrenaline was off the charts and his weapon was drawn.
But of course we live in an "Its all about me" society now.
I personally am concerned with all of these news events happening. All the troublemakers disrupting the peaceful protests, violence and property damage, armed citizens taking the law into their hands because of these troublemakers, etc.,etc.
The battle lines are being drawn every day. Like a snowball rolling amok down a snow filled mountain.