Hawaii politics (Read 26975 times)

drck1000

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2020, 04:19:37 PM »
You got me I wouldn't be able to answer that without google.  But I do know mass transit in general is more efficient than cars.  There are studies for this.
Roger.  At least you admitted it.  But you have NO problems talking $hit like you know. . .

You THINK mass transit in general is more efficient than cars.  It depends on application. Yes, there are studies for this. 

Ok.  You seem so knowledgeable about studies. . . Why is BART, the L, etc cited as such successes?  Even Seattle, where I used to live, but thankfully moved away before the rail was finished. 

omnigun

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2020, 04:23:46 PM »
Roger.  At least you admitted it.  But you have NO problems talking $hit like you know. . .

You THINK mass transit in general is more efficient than cars.  It depends on application. Yes, there are studies for this. 

Ok.  You seem so knowledgeable about studies. . . Why is BART, the L, etc cited as such successes?  Even Seattle, where I used to live, but thankfully moved away before the rail was finished.

I am guessing you are alluding to population and density.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2020, 05:31:07 PM »
I read somewhere that a news anchor said the fly was the mark of the devil.  :wtf:

Idiot I saw said three times, "Isn't that interesting."  "I think that's interesting."  "The fact that it landed when he was talking about race was .... interesting."

Obviously, she was taking notes on Pence's answer and not mesmerized by a flying insect.

Any bets whether the fly was remote controlled and laced with COVID?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2020, 05:36:04 PM »
If you cant see how 100 people in a rail cart uses less oil and gas than 50-100 cars, there's no helping you.   Just go back to making shit up and calling people names.  You are good at that.
Man, you're really triggered, huh, Snowflake?

Instead of pretending you're right, I'm wrong, and there's no debate, try being a little less of a jerk.

Trains use lubricants.  Electricity in Hawaii requires fossil fuels.  To get to and from the rail stations requires alternate forms of transportation (Cars?).

Plus, the people who need to get to appointments, work, home, school, hospitals, doctor offices, etc. are not going to take a train that doesn't go where they need to go.  VERY FEW people who wil ride the rail are car drivers.  They will be people who already ride the bus, and maybe tourists.

50-100 cars is insignificant when talking about reducing climate change.  Just a fart in a hurricane.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 05:49:24 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

ren

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2020, 05:38:05 PM »
the rail will b nothing more than an expensive subsidized transportation for those that don't have cars. The same people that are on lifetime social safety nets. Guess who will pay for that? You think those people will stick around in Hawaii for long?
Deeds Not Words

Rocky

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2020, 05:38:25 PM »
I can't find it now, but there was a show about this "mysterious concrete structure" that appears to have been built, but never used.  It looked like the rail, except for a wall in the center instead of the sides.  They had theories about why it was never used.  I forget.  Anyways, my first thought was "that show is gonna on the "Hawaiian rail" in 100 years".  People scratching their heads on why it was built and never used.   :rofl:
That would be the "proposed" lakefront exit on I-94 in Milwaukee
Freeway just "ended" about 60 FT off the ground but used once.
Most of you have probably seen it.  8)
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=opensearch&p=Blues+Brothers+movie+freeway+scene#id=1&vid=97fc13ca91c9551a05434054b463ddc1&action=click
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2020, 05:41:26 PM »
That would be the "proposed" lakefront exit on I-94 in Milwaukee
Freeway just "ended" about 60 FT off the ground but used once.
Most of you have probably seen it.  8)
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=opensearch&p=Blues+Brothers+movie+freeway+scene#id=1&vid=97fc13ca91c9551a05434054b463ddc1&action=click
No, at least not the one I was referring to. I’ve been searching. I thought it was somewhere in Europe, but google-fu for “random unfinished piece of shit concrete structure” not returning good results. Haha

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2020, 05:48:27 PM »
the rail will b nothing more than an expensive subsidized transportation for those that don't have cars. The same people that are on lifetime social safety nets. Guess who will pay for that? You think those people will stick around in Hawaii for long?

From HART's own website, the project is only 58.8% complete.  Meanwhile, construction ruined businesses by totally screwing up traffic along the route.

Also, here's the latest snafu:

More obstacles threaten to delay completion of rail project by up to 4 years

Quote
The $9.2 billion rail project is supposed to be completed in 2025. It plans to begin interim service between East Kapolei and Aloha Stadium next March.

HART said if the city doesn’t give those variances it may have to buy a number of small parcels of land along Dillingham, which will delay the project 9 months to 2 years.

Or, it may have to shift portions of the elevated guideway near Honolulu Community College, which could cause a one and-a-half to three year delay.

The worst-case scenario is that it would have to acquire large parcels -- about 20 feet at the side of Dillingham -- along the entire street.

That would delay the project up to four years and add hundreds of millions of dollars in extra costs.

“We’ve known for many years this area was going to be a problem," said Manahan.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/09/24/underground-obstacles-threaten-further-delay-honolulus-rail-project/
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

drck1000

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2020, 05:56:45 PM »

omnigun

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2020, 06:00:01 PM »
Man, you're really triggered, huh, Snowflake?

Instead of pretending you're right, I'm wrong, and there's no debate, try being a little less of a jerk.

Trains use lubricants.  Electricity in Hawaii requires fossil fuels.  To get to and from the rail stations requires alternate forms of transportation (Cars?).

Plus, the people who need to get to appointments, work, home, school, hospitals, doctor offices, etc. are not going to take a train that doesn't go where they need to go.  VERY FEW people who wil ride the rail are car drivers.  They will be people who already ride the bus, and maybe tourists.

50-100 cars is insignificant when talking about reducing climate change.  Just a fart in a hurricane.

I would be less of a jerk if you were less.   I'm only reciprocating.  Cars require many of those things too.  I see nothing wrong with current tourists using it.  If anything covid taught me is there's so many cara from tourists.  I personally think there will be new people to use it to.  Including myself.  I think it will be thousands of cars off the road in a given day.  Small things add up for climate change. When hico starts getting more renewable resources it will make rail  more green also.

macsak

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2020, 09:35:31 PM »
I would be less of a jerk if you were less.   I'm only reciprocating.  Cars require many of those things too.  I see nothing wrong with current tourists using it.  If anything covid taught me is there's so many cara from tourists.  I personally think there will be new people to use it to.  Including myself.  I think it will be thousands of cars off the road in a given day.  Small things add up for climate change. When hico starts getting more renewable resources it will make rail  more green also.

you think?
don't you mean, "muh feelings"?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2020, 12:28:55 AM »
I would be less of a jerk if you were less.   I'm only reciprocating.  Cars require many of those things too.  I see nothing wrong with current tourists using it.  If anything covid taught me is there's so many cara from tourists.  I personally think there will be new people to use it to.  Including myself.  I think it will be thousands of cars off the road in a given day.  Small things add up for climate change. When hico starts getting more renewable resources it will make rail  more green also.

"I think"

"I personally think"

"When HECO [sic] starts getting more renewable resources..."

Opinions and undeterminable future benefits.

Not a glowing endorsement of the rail as a climate change solution, especially as the latest news says there may be another 4 year delay.  That's 2024.  Imagine all the carbon emissions that aren't being stopped due to poor management, delays, and HECO not planning to have green energy that flows 24/7 ever.  They have a nice, big solar farm, but that only operates in daylight.  Batteries actually take more energy to produce than they store in a lifetime.  Could have just consumed that energy instead of using it for "green" products.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Inspector

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2020, 03:27:05 AM »
DRCK1000 probably knows better than I do. But how bad is concrete, its ingredients, and its manufacture to the environment?

Manufacture of Cement:
“Coal is used as an energy source in cement production. Large amounts of energy are required to produce cement. It takes about 200 kg of coal to produce one tonne of cement and about 300-400 kg of cement is needed to produce one cubic metre of concrete.” One cubic meter is close in size to one cubic yard which is how we measure concrete here in the state.

https://www.worldcoal.org/coal/uses-coal/coal-cement

Strip Mining of Aggregates for Concrete. Strip mining ruins the environment. It takes a tremendous amount of energy to mine, transport, grind, sieve, transport and store course aggregates. And then you have to transport and store them at the concrete plant. You have to add re-transporting and re-grinding and re-sieving and re-transport to make fine aggregate. And add transport and storage at the concrete plant. All using large heavy diesel equipment whose exhaust is not regulated by the EPA. And you are left with huge holes in the ground that cannot be used for anything. And in some cases are filled with hazardous waste.

Manufacture of concrete:
“The production of 1 m³ of concrete requires 2,775 MJ of energy. This energy comes mostly from oil burning, which generates CO2. 2.775 MJ of energy is produced by 0.37 barrels of oil. Saving concrete, e.g. by adopting appropriate building solutions, means therefore not only reducing fossil fuels consumption, but also pollutant emissions.”

https://www.geoplastglobal.com/en/blog/energy-consumption-production-of-concrete/

Manufacturing of Chemicals used in Concrete:
It takes huge chemical plants to make the hundreds of chemicals which are bad for the environment just to make concrete. All of these chemical plants get their electricity from coal and oil burning plants.

What does it take to transport all the ingredients to Hawaii?

Concrete costs about $150-$200 per cubic yard in Hawaii. It takes approximately 14 cubic yards to make just one segment of the rail system. Just multiply the energy costs I listed above to make just one segment of the rail. And you will see how bad the rail is to the environment. And none of this takes into consideration the tremendous amount of waste in manufacturing all these products. It will take thousands of segments to make the rail system here.

And of course none of this takes into consideration the thousands of other products that are manufactured for this system like the steel rails. If anyone here thinks the rail is good for the environment, just for the concrete the proof otherwise is above.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

QUIETShooter

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2020, 06:13:04 AM »
And then when the smoke clears and everything is said and done, the rail will be up and running and.....mostly empty.

Just like The Bus.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

robtmc

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2020, 07:36:06 AM »
Found it

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/aerotrain-d-orleans-test-track

Abandoned, never to be torn down.
What an eyesore, as the joke in Honolulu will be.

ren

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2020, 07:44:03 AM »
I don't align with his beliefs but at least I'm willing to listen to what he presents.
Makes some sense to me
Deeds Not Words

ren

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2020, 07:46:43 AM »
if not energy inefficient it is the worst inefficient public works project in the history of Hawaii. All that money being spent on studies, the corruption, the back door land deals. Wasted money. It is an economical disaster.
Deeds Not Words

Rocky

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2020, 08:45:30 AM »
Found it

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/aerotrain-d-orleans-test-track

Abandoned, never to be torn down.
That thing is minuscule compared to Hawaii's rail fail
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

groveler

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2020, 09:54:41 AM »
if not energy inefficient it is the worst inefficient public works project in the history of Hawaii. All that money being spent on studies, the corruption, the back door land deals. Wasted money. It is an economical disaster.
Most the world doesn't pay much attention to Hawaii, but that rail will be a monument to the stupidity
of the Democrat party. Never have so few, paid so much, for such massive STUPIDITY.
I drove for years the most crowded roads in the world, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco,
and even your Oahu "interstate" freeway parking lots.
I've used the BART,  Seattle area buses,  and ferry system.
Public transportation designed by Democrats doesn't work!
It neither satisfies economic realities or environmental ones.
I'd rather drive, if for any other reason than I don't like being
treated like cattle.
I'm an engineer and I can make any boondoggle look like a win-win
for everybody. It is only my morals that stop that sort of activity on
my part.  Not everybody has that sort of discipline, so you have
"Public transportation".
The people that pitched the Rail should have a silver stake driven
through the HART.
Adding to the injury,  us outer islands have to pay for something
we'll never use.
I vote for secession from Ohau and joining the state of Alaska.

omnigun

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2020, 10:30:27 AM »
I've been to Tokyo many times I know of what a good public transit system looks like and its amazing.  I've used Bart and its not as bad as you all say.