Hawaii politics (Read 26977 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2020, 04:13:05 PM »
I remember reading that an alternative form of power was going to be needed for when the rail goes into full use. But I have not seen or hear anything about that since that came out. The article stated that a small generating station would be needed. And that this was never taken into account during thee original planning but everyone was warned by HECO that they couldn’t supply the entire amount of power needed. I can’t find the article now. Not sure if it was true or someone’s opinion.

Quote
The huge opportunity cost. With $7 B and counting, Honolulu could have actually reduced traffic congestion by more than 25%
and reduced its dependency on oil by over 40%. Honolulu burns oil to produce electric power and as a result its electricity cost i
s 300% above US average. Instead of switching power generation and fleet fueling to natural gas, island policies emphasize
oil-generated electric cars and electric trains!

Quote
Finally, looking at the bigger picture for Honolulu which includes a $5 B consent decree with the EPA for secondary sewer treatment,
increasing dependency on imports, including 90% of food, with prices escalated by the Jones Act requirements, and the nation’s fifth
worst unfunded pension liability according to The Economist [8], the future is worrisome: At best Honolulu will experience large increases
in taxes and congestion, at worst those plus bankruptcy.  One thing is certain.  This textbook megaproject failure orchestrated by
business interests and unions, supported by misguided environmentalism and enabled by enterprising politicians got Honolulu railroaded [9].

http://www.newgeography.com/content/005156-live-honolulu-hart-rail-a-megaproject-failure-making

Good article ... from 2016!!  Imagine the additional problems created since this was written.  longer delays, even more expensive costs.  The only thing helping at this point in time would be the lower cost of fossil fuels, thanks to Trump and his policies on fracking, oil pipelines and exploration which made the US energy independent in less than 2 years!!

Of course, if Biden is elected, oil prices will peak about the time the rail starts carrying people.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2020, 04:14:02 PM »
Guys like you set me off.
"they don't all need cars."
who the fvcvk are YOU to decide
what your fellow citizens "need"
I can tell you what your needs are and they are simple,
"the rule of Threes".
That is all you NEED!
Everything else is glazing on the Donuts.

Are you sure you're talking about "people like me?"  I think you might have quoted the wrong post .... I hope.   :shaka:

I think (now he got ME doing it, too!) you wanted THIS post:  https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=38341.msg341549#msg341549
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

ren

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2020, 04:15:36 PM »
Guys like you set me off.
"they don't all need cars."
who the fvcvk are YOU to decide
what your fellow citizens "need"
I can tell you what your needs are and they are simple,
"the rule of Threes".
That is all you NEED!
Everything else is glazing on the Donuts.

I think you meant this poster

People can take the rail and not purchase a car.  Or people can actually just have less cars if they can use public transport.

Lol,  what you are trying to do is centralize people.  If you  put 500 people in one building near the rail they don't all need cars.  They can travel less if a supermarket opens up nearby.  Overall less travel and more convenience. Instead of spreading everyone apart.

One way to pay for the rail is to increase vehicle registration fees enormously. It may make taking public trans more attractive and it would discourage private vehicle ownership. :-X
Deeds Not Words

groveler

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2020, 04:31:31 PM »
Are you sure you're talking about "people like me?"  I think you might have quoted the wrong post .... I hope.   :shaka:

I think (now he got ME doing it, too!) you wanted THIS post:  https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=38341.msg341549#msg341549
OOPS!
I'm going to get the VA to fix my Cataracts.
My apologies to all.

changemyoil66

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2020, 05:45:03 PM »
Lets compare the HI rail to Taipei's MRT (rail).

In taipei, i can catch the mrt and get off and pretty much have only a 10 minute walk to get where i need to go. HIs rail wont be like that. U would still have to bus it because the walk will be longer than 10 mins.

MRT is like a spider web. Not just a single line like HI. And b4 anyone says HI has limited space, taipei is more crowded than HI. Like many buildings are inches apart from each other, almost touching.

Below is the MRT map. Notice all the available stops.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

robtmc

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2020, 06:20:42 PM »
One way to pay for the rail is to increase vehicle registration fees enormously. It may make taking public trans more attractive and it would discourage private vehicle ownership. :-X
From that kid's quote you included, sounds like he is onboard with Agenda 21 that plans on moving people from rural areas into densely packed urban ones  (IIRC).   The easier for the elites to control them don't you know.

But then, that may be why some we in no-urban areas have such an interest in firearms, just in cast the politicians that child favors tries that crap.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 07:41:23 PM by robtmc »

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2020, 07:32:30 PM »
OOPS!
I'm going to get the VA to fix my Cataracts.
My apologies to all.

What's your address so I can give it to the process server?

Glad you have a lawyer already!   :shaka: :wave:   :rofl:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

RSN172

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2020, 07:16:56 AM »
I think you meant this poster

One way to pay for the rail is to increase vehicle registration fees enormously. It may make taking public trans more attractive and it would discourage private vehicle ownership. :-X
Oahu vehicle registration is already very high.  I have an Acura MDX on Oahu and it cost me $475 to register.  I have a Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 4x4 longbed and an Infiniti FX50 on the BI and it cost me $480 to register both.
Happily living in Puna

groveler

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2020, 09:02:35 AM »
What's your address so I can give it to the process server?

Glad you have a lawyer already!   :shaka: :wave:   :rofl:
I can be found just past the singing bridge, in the pavilion at the waterfront park.
or check at the Starbucks just up the road, they have free WiFi and "facilities".

I'll pay much more attention in the future, Thank you.

ren

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2020, 09:04:31 AM »
Oahu vehicle registration is already very high.  I have an Acura MDX on Oahu and it cost me $475 to register.  I have a Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 4x4 longbed and an Infiniti FX50 on the BI and it cost me $480 to register both.

Its not high enough to have you look at other trans options. If the local govt was smart about this they would do that. Make private vehicle ownership subsidize the rail and/or other public trans options. If they really wanted to take vehicles off the road and decrease congestion.
Deeds Not Words

RSN172

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2020, 09:09:13 AM »
ren for Governor 2022.

Correction, I meant 2022.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 08:31:43 PM by RSN172 »
Happily living in Puna

omnigun

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2020, 09:17:39 AM »
Its not high enough to have you look at other trans options. If the local govt was smart about this they would do that. Make private vehicle ownership subsidize the rail and/or other public trans options. If they really wanted to take vehicles off the road and decrease congestion.

I agree, and discount electric vehicle tax to encourage electric cars vs gas.  Lower our dependence on fossil fuels and less of our money paying some middle east country.  Use some of that money gained to expedite the conversion of our power generation to renewable energy instead of gas plants.

drck1000

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2020, 09:39:58 AM »
Its not high enough to have you look at other trans options. If the local govt was smart about this they would do that. Make private vehicle ownership subsidize the rail and/or other public trans options. If they really wanted to take vehicles off the road and decrease congestion.

drck1000

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2020, 09:40:54 AM »
ren for Governor 2222.

Will he look like Nancy Pelosi?  ;D

aieahound

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2020, 10:06:54 AM »
Its not high enough to have you look at other trans options. If the local govt was smart about this they would do that. Make private vehicle ownership subsidize the rail and/or other public trans options. If they really wanted to take vehicles off the road and decrease congestion.

Make the roads less congested for the well off people by getting the poor people off them ?
Or will everyone just ride mopeds and scooters ?
My guess is they’ll subsidize it with a gas tax.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2020, 10:22:21 AM »
I can be found just past the singing bridge, in the pavilion at the waterfront park.
or check at the Starbucks just up the road, they have free WiFi and "facilities".

I'll pay much more attention in the future, Thank you.

 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

hvybarrels

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2020, 10:35:29 AM »
Lets compare the HI rail to Taipei's MRT (rail).

In taipei, i can catch the mrt and get off and pretty much have only a 10 minute walk to get where i need to go. HIs rail wont be like that. U would still have to bus it because the walk will be longer than 10 mins.

MRT is like a spider web. Not just a single line like HI. And b4 anyone says HI has limited space, taipei is more crowded than HI. Like many buildings are inches apart from each other, almost touching.


When I heard Honolulu was getting rail it was very exciting, but then I saw the plan. All over the world they know how to do rail right, but the version we have is for the benefit of corrupt contractors and developers who want continuous pavement from Hawaii Kai to Kapolei
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2020, 10:45:39 AM »
When I heard Honolulu was getting rail it was very exciting, but then I saw the plan. All over the world they know how to do rail right, but the version we have is for the benefit of corrupt contractors and developers who want continuous pavement from Hawaii Kai to Kapolei

I moved here in 1993.  I kept hearing how the C&C was doing a rail study before I arrived. Then they did another, and another .... Each study seemed to cost upwards of a million buck, and they all ended with the same result:  Rail?  No.  Zipper Lane, more buses, improved roads, widening H-1, ... all recommended and done.  Finally, when the rail decision was made, most people were asking, so what changed from the previous studies?  How did rail all of a sudden become a feasible solution considering the multi-billion dollar price tag and limited areas being serviced?

So far, those questions have all been shouted down by people who have no idea what they are talking about.  "Climate Change!"  "Mass Transit Rules!"  "Get drivers off the roads!" "It'll pay for itself!"

Most of us knew better.  Over schedule, WAY over budget, and won't solve any of the stated problems.  Operations will continue to haunt tax payers forever.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

drck1000

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2020, 11:12:06 AM »
When I heard Honolulu was getting rail it was very exciting, but then I saw the plan. All over the world they know how to do rail right, but the version we have is for the benefit of corrupt contractors and developers who want continuous pavement from Hawaii Kai to Kapolei
Yup. That is what I was getting at for our enlightened one. There are certain characteristics of the rails that “got it right”. Hawaii’s layout doesn’t have any of that. Actually, that’s fine. Make Hawaii’s rail fit for our situation. But no, they wanted to force fit layouts that worked elsewhere to here. We don’t have the linear layout of I-5 like Seattle, or already existing dozens of park and rides.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Hawaii politics
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2020, 11:16:53 AM »
Yup. That is what I was getting at for our enlightened one. There are certain characteristics of the rails that “got it right”. Hawaii’s layout doesn’t have any of that. Actually, that’s fine. Make Hawaii’s rail fit for our situation. But no, they wanted to force fit layouts that worked elsewhere to here. We don’t have the linear layout of I-5 like Seattle, or already existing dozens of park and rides.

It seems to me, the rail route went through areas where city, county and state officials (and their friends and relatives) owned property -- which was sold to the city for multiples more than fair market value. 

Did the property get bought by those individuals because they had someone in the planning process tell them where to buy?  Or was the plan designed such that those specific plots of land became instant jackpots?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw