I also learned that Red State AG's are up in arms about this situation also but I can't seem to find the article I saw or read. Sorry.
But I just wanted to make the point that there is push back against the credit card companies which is a good thing.
In my opinion I just cannot see how establishing a code for firearm related sales through credit cards will help curb or fight gun crimes/mass shootings but I can clearly see how this can balloon into an invasion of privacy for citizens. This is BS to me.
The long pole in this "BS Tent" is that the codes will simply identify a business as a "gun retailer." So when anyone goes in to buy guns, ammo, a bass boat, hunting gear, fishing tackle or just yoga mats, the code for "firearm sale" will be assigned.
There is so little information about WHAT was bought, the code is basically useless, which is one reason this change was denied at least twice before -- that's before the Dems in Congress who deicide which banks get bailouts and special rules wrote them letters.
What we know will occur is someone will commit a mass crime, the gun will have been bought on a credit card and "flagged", and questions will be asked. The follow-on will be stricter scrutiny of "Gun Retailer" purchases, more red tape, and all in an effort to discourage retailers from offering firearms and shooting supplies.
Most concerning is that people planning to use guns for crimes will opt to use cash or buy second-hand. No way for the new code to track the people they pretend to want to track.