I was a union member most of my working life. There were times I didn't quite agree with the leadership.
Problem with Hawaii is our strong unions. I understand people want job security to provide for their families and the leaders of the unions play on this. Higher wages for the members equals more money for the union leaders and the union.
But I remember countless times when elections for union leaders came around, and the opposing candidate asks, what good is all these high wages if there is no work available? What is better, high wages and no jobs or steady work at competitive wages?
The younger members usually vote for higher wages. Visions of new F-150 and GMC Trucks dance in their minds then cry when they buy the truck and get laid off for lack of work.
Yeah, Hawaii citizens will shape their destiny in this banana republik. And the elite in government and the unions will laugh all the way to the bank.
edited to add: if you think things are bad now, it will be worse if the outcome in November favors the team that loves to tax you for everything AND the kitchen sink. Let big government think, care for you, and tell you how high to jump.