increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior (Read 10446 times)

macsak

i've noticed a trend lately since the newtown massacre and subsequent panic over bans
the number of posts has very noticeably increased, both on the forum and the classifieds
however, i have also noticed a decrease in courtesy, following the rules and breaches in etiquette (especially concerning taking potshots on classified ads)
i know that these are stressful times for all of us who strongly believe in the second amendment, but we all need to remember we are all on the same team
we need to work together and support each other
ok, that sounded like i want a group hug and everyone to sing "kumbaya", but you get the point, right?

anyone else have thoughts on this matter?

TeamMidori

increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:32:12 PM »
I noticed the same.

aieahound

Re: increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 03:35:03 PM »
+1

bushmasta55

  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 463
  • Total likes: 19
  • "Drop your weapons!" "Come and take them!"
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 03:56:41 PM »
Same here

DuckFat

Re: increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 04:10:47 PM »
Are you sure it's not proportional? If forum activity doubles I would reasonably say that the type of posts you are observing would also double. Also, if you consider that with the recent price gouging and subsequent increased activity in the classifieds outpacing other sections, you would see an even larger increase in so called "potshots." I won't run any analytics on this because it doesn't really bother me, but if anyone else has time to burn....

We all have a similar interest and I don't think anyone forgot what side we're on. But it does not mean we have compatible personalities and can agree on everything. While I may not be as vocal about it, I think it's bad form to buy a case of PMAGS and then try to promote the panic buying with quadrupled prices here, and I would probably never befriend anyone who did something so distasteful. But other people obviously value money more than I do. It's just life, we all have different values/opinions and we all have things that will set us off. I think it's good to hash things out here.
What if rhinos are just fat unicorns?

Aiea78

  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1683
  • Total likes: 99
  • Grab em by the handles
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 04:11:38 PM »
Assault Rifle? What I have here is an Anti-Assault Rifle.
Proud Member 2016 2a Day Dozen open holster carry crew yo

Southsyduh808

Re: increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 04:12:44 PM »
I'm still a NewB but I do see offensive comments in here... imagine if something ever goes down, it will only get worse...

Aiea78

  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1683
  • Total likes: 99
  • Grab em by the handles
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 04:19:16 PM »
I try to keep away from the classifieds if possible.  we've seen this before.  matter of fact everything we see today has already been experienced by the Founding Fathers it is up to us to learn from history.  they laid the groundwork and rules even, warned us about entangling alliances, getting in bed with bankers, snakes in the grass and all that.  I trip out.

Agreed, let's remain civil.  Direct our ire where it belongs.
Assault Rifle? What I have here is an Anti-Assault Rifle.
Proud Member 2016 2a Day Dozen open holster carry crew yo

new guy

Re: increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 04:23:30 PM »
.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:42:58 PM by new guy »
Your mindset is your primary weapon. - Jeff Cooper

bass monkey

Re: increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 04:47:20 PM »
i been noticing a lot of double threads talking about the same topic in general discussion or off topic.  I know the mods cant be monitoring us all the time, but it usually helps to check out the new posts before making a new thread about something.  Just my observations.

ren

Re: increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 04:50:53 PM »
Noticed and experienced the same. Different market here. I sell things faster and with less BS on ar15.com.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:57:32 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

hnl.flyboy

Re: increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 04:52:51 PM »
i been noticing a lot of double threads talking about the same topic in general discussion or off topic.  I know the mods cant be monitoring us all the time, but it usually helps to check out the new posts before making a new thread about something.  Just my observations.

Yup.  I see two or even three topics on the same video posted before.
LEX MALLA, LEX NULLA

FPC, SAF Life, HDF Life, GOA, HRA, Fun Factory VIP

macsak

Re: increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 05:56:34 PM »
not proportional
http://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=5745.0
i believe this is also the thread that had the graphic of stick figures injecting a large needle/syringe in another's backside

yes, it's ok to have differing viewpoints/opinions
but alls i'm sayin' is that we should not let these stressful times cause strife within our group whilst fighting for a common cause

the laws of supply and demand apply here, so if someone wants to sell something and someone is willing to pay the price, fine
if you don't like the price, take note of the seller and keep that in the back of your mind
we are all guests here, and we should follow the rules and treat each other with respect

keep the posts comin

Are you sure it's not proportional? If forum activity doubles I would reasonably say that the type of posts you are observing would also double. Also, if you consider that with the recent price gouging and subsequent increased activity in the classifieds outpacing other sections, you would see an even larger increase in so called "potshots." I won't run any analytics on this because it doesn't really bother me, but if anyone else has time to burn....

We all have a similar interest and I don't think anyone forgot what side we're on. But it does not mean we have compatible personalities and can agree on everything. While I may not be as vocal about it, I think it's bad form to buy a case of PMAGS and then try to promote the panic buying with quadrupled prices here, and I would probably never befriend anyone who did something so distasteful. But other people obviously value money more than I do. It's just life, we all have different values/opinions and we all have things that will set us off. I think it's good to hash things out here.

fstbckgt

Re: increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 06:28:23 PM »
We need more appointed Moderators cleaning up the forum and a clear set of guidelines, especially for the classifieds.

Noticed and experienced the same. Different market here. I sell things faster and with less BS on ar15.com.

Many of the rules that AR15.com uses for their equipment exchange forum should be adopted here.

ren

Re: increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 06:29:17 PM »
I picked that needle pic and it was more random then anything. I also believe in supply and demand - PMAG scalpers included. I would've camped out at OGC and bought ALL of their PMAGs at $13 and resell them for 4x-5x that amount. Capitalism. Greed is good. iChing. Whatever. But I didn't.
I have a different perspective and thats the item that goes into the magazines - ammunition. I'd rather be the guy with one round than the guy with a gazillion magazines with NO ammo.

But I agree this forum is sounding more like ForumsHawaii. Shame as we as gun owners have a lot to lose if we don't come together. Call me names, swear at me, I don't care. "Wa wa wa this & that"
Moving on to flying RC helis in a park ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:38:54 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

230RN

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1529
  • Total likes: 71
  • But they're [u]supposed[/u] to be military-style!
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 06:51:52 PM »
Glad someone brought that up, since it made me suddenly realize that my "Brooklyn" upbringing led me to use a lot of words recently that I wouldn't ordinarily use in polite society.  I'll watch that and set up my own "cussin' jar."

At a buck per cuss, that ought to allow me to buy more some ammo.

Apologies for that.  After all, this is a polite society.

Terry, 230RN
I do believe that the radical and crazy notion that the Founders meant what they said, is gradually soaking through the judicial system.

mln41

Re: increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »
We need more appointed Moderators cleaning up the forum and a clear set of guidelines, especially for the classifieds.

Many of the rules that AR15.com uses for their equipment exchange forum should be adopted here.


i was thinking the same thing.   the rest of us just need to report to moderators and let it be known we don't tolerate any poor behavior.   after a warning suspend the account for a few days and if it continues, cancel their account.  some people only understand consequences. 
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.) Psalm 23:4
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Lifer

Re: increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 07:14:21 PM »
Everyone always SEEMS to have valid points in some form or fashion, but  its nice to see at least a little decorum.

Personally, I could have sold all my Pmags, lowers, etc for the crazy prices, but my personal values stopped me from doing that. I've sold a few things here and there, but never made enough profit to buy a tank of gas ( usually make enough to buy a lunch or two).

With that said, I don't fault those for making an extra buck or two. It is after all, the American way. If you want to pay xxx, so be it.

I'm not sure( cant tell age on the internet)  but my guess is that the more aggressive price gouging is from a younger generation( 20 something's). I was the same way,  but as I grew older, money seemed to matter less with quality products and personal integrity/ reputation meaning more.  A couple of deployments also humbled me quite a bit too. BTW, I turned 40 recently.

Of course, voice your opinions, but I learned a long time ago that you cannot and should not instill your personal beliefs on others.

Have a good night!!   O0

mln41

Re: increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 07:24:23 PM »
Everyone always SEEMS to have valid points in some form or fashion, but  its nice to see at least a little decorum.

Personally, I could have sold all my Pmags, lowers, etc for the crazy prices, but my personal values stopped me from doing that. I've sold a few things here and there, but never made enough profit to buy a tank of gas ( usually make enough to buy a lunch or two).

With that said, I don't fault those for making an extra buck or two. It is after all, the American way. If you want to pay xxx, so be it.

I'm not sure( cant tell age on the internet)  but my guess is that the more aggressive price gouging is from a younger generation( 20 something's). I was the same way,  but as I grew older, money seemed to matter less with quality products and personal integrity/ reputation meaning more.  A couple of deployments also humbled me quite a bit too. BTW, I turned 40 recently.

Of course, voice your opinions, but I learned a long time ago that you cannot and should not instill your personal beliefs on others.

Have a good night!!   O0




Happy Belated Birthday!!!

If you look in the classifieds you will see a lot of negative comments on some of the peoples postings.   

If you don't like someones posting or price,  send them a message ask them if they will take a lower price, if they do great, if not, keep shopping. 
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.) Psalm 23:4
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Cougar8045

Re: increase in # of posts and sales, but a decrease in forum behavior
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 11:13:25 PM »
not proportional
http://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=5745.0
i believe this is also the thread that had the graphic of stick figures injecting a large needle/syringe in another's backside

yes, it's ok to have differing viewpoints/opinions
but alls i'm sayin' is that we should not let these stressful times cause strife within our group whilst fighting for a common cause

the laws of supply and demand apply here, so if someone wants to sell something and someone is willing to pay the price, fine
if you don't like the price, take note of the seller and keep that in the back of your mind
we are all guests here, and we should follow the rules and treat each other with respect

keep the posts comin
I've spoken up in defense of people asking higher prices for stuff on the classifieds.  They are within their rights to ask as much or as little for a product they own as they want.  I am within my rights to point out that the price they're asking is ludicrous.  Say what you will about me, I proudly stand by the "NO" face I posted in that thread.  That would pretty much be my exact reaction if I walked into a gun store, saw some PMags, asked how much they were, and was told, "$75".  I'd openly laugh at the seller, and walk out of the store. 
I'm just a fluffy white bunny rabbit who lost his way. 

"If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. ..."  -Exodus 22:2